Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TEUFELHUNDEN

Hello from New York!!!

New member here from New York... I am currently active duty 13 years, military stationed in New York. I'm not new to the AR platform since thats what we use in the service but really interested in building a long range AR platform and have discovered the wonderful ballistics this caliber offers. I am looking forward on learning the in-out of the caliber along with proper selection of parts to make it as accurate as possible.

Comment

• bertrunner

Welcome come on in and enjoy

Comment

Welcome TEUFE!!!

Comment

• TEUFELHUNDEN

Mostly a hunting stick with the ocassional trip to the range to refine the skills...

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Welcome, TH!

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• OLd Man
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2012

Welcome, I'm about the same as you, mostly hunting but could always use more work on the targets to get the job done a little better.

Comment

Welcome to the Horde and thank you.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Howdy! Semper Fi!
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TEUFELHUNDEN View Post
                      Mostly a hunting stick with the ocassional trip to the range to refine the skills...
                      16" will be sufficient for hunting to 300 yards or so and the easiest to transport. LRRFPF has posted some great data for a 16" upper. I have a 20" medium profile fluted barrel and it's not too much to carry for me. Sometimes it seems a bit long getting in and out of vehicles but it's manageable. Other than that the size and weight are a good balance for me. It does very well at the range out to 1K and is enjoyable to shoot.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• TEUFELHUNDEN

I'm leaning towards a 20" bull barrel, fluted and crowned. My other quest it's to find me a 5r and determine the twist rate I need... 123gr

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TEUFELHUNDEN View Post
                          I'm leaning towards a 20" bull barrel, fluted and crowned. My other quest it's to find me a 5r and determine the twist rate I need... 123gr
                          Why do you want the 5r? Increased accuracy? If so, I've researched this and have been told by several high quality barrel makers that the rifling profile makes little difference in accuracy. Quality of materials and machining is everything. Most manufacturers offer it only because the market wants it. The market wants it because of good marketing. For example, the consensus seems to be Remington 5R barrels on average shoot better that their conventional counterparts. Most people attribute this to the 5R rifling profile but in reality the 5R's overall quality is slightly better. I tell you this so you don't eliminate other rifling profiles from your selection list. Parts are hard enough to find without limiting your choices.

As far as twist, I have a 1:8.75 and it has stabilized 100 NBT/Amax, 120 SP, 123 SMK/Amax, 129 SST, 140 gr Hornady spire points and 160 Hornady RN( subsonic loads).

Comment

• RangerRick

Welcome! Thanks for your service. You'll love the Grendel.

I have a 1:8.5 in a 20 inch tube. It works well for 95 grains up to 130 (high as I've been). With lead free laws all the rage now and the cold temps in winter up there, I'd wouldn't stray too far from 1:8.

If you end up having to shoot long copper bullets, you have to seat deeper to fit in the mag/chamber, so you have less powder room in the case. So the long bullets combined with lower muzzle velocity can cause problems without enough twist.

RR

Comment

Wlcome, and thanks for your service.

Comment

Working...
                              X