• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snow_Nigerian
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2023

Hello from Alaska

Hey everyone,

I'm a brand new owner of a 6.5 grendel Howa Mini Action as of 2 days ago. I live in southeast alaska, and i'm a reloader thankfully to be able to toy around with the far and wide variety of 6.5 bullets to try and down a deer or more around here. So far my project is typical, a lightweight deer rifle with the capability of bear if need be. So far, I've got the Howa in a carbon fiber stockey's stock, and at ~5lbs without a scope. Waiting on a Leupold 2-7x33, although that SWFA 2.5-10x is looking really nice at 9.5oz. Heard the top end of the magnification isn't so good though. I'm looking at chopping down the barrel to a cool 14.5" or 16" and sticking my suppressor on there, but I've got a ton of questions, hence my joining the forum! I'll probably be asking in the appropriate forum later but here's a couple icebreaker questions.

Through a 14.5"-16" barrel, I'm looking to down deer up to 300yd max. I need a reliable expanding bullet out to 300yd. Factory ammo is nearly out of the question out here. What bullets do you all suggest for Sitka Blacktail Deer out to 300yd for a 14.5" barrel? If not 14.5", 16"? 22"?

Thanks for letting me join. Now to go browse and see if there's any mini action magazines for sale... seem to unobtanium!

Cheers,
    Snow
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Snow_Nigerian View Post
      Hey everyone,

I'm a brand new owner of a 6.5 grendel Howa Mini Action as of 2 days ago. I live in southeast alaska, and i'm a reloader thankfully to be able to toy around with the far and wide variety of 6.5 bullets to try and down a deer or more around here. So far my project is typical, a lightweight deer rifle with the capability of bear if need be. So far, I've got the Howa in a carbon fiber stockey's stock, and at ~5lbs without a scope. Waiting on a Leupold 2-7x33, although that SWFA 2.5-10x is looking really nice at 9.5oz. Heard the top end of the magnification isn't so good though. I'm looking at chopping down the barrel to a cool 14.5" or 16" and sticking my suppressor on there, but I've got a ton of questions, hence my joining the forum! I'll probably be asking in the appropriate forum later but here's a couple icebreaker questions.

Through a 14.5"-16" barrel, I'm looking to down deer up to 300yd max. I need a reliable expanding bullet out to 300yd. Factory ammo is nearly out of the question out here. What bullets do you all suggest for Sitka Blacktail Deer out to 300yd for a 14.5" barrel? If not 14.5", 16"? 22"?

Thanks for letting me join. Now to go browse and see if there's any mini action magazines for sale... seem to unobtanium!

Cheers,
      Snow
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Another lead free bullet I would expect to work is https://lehighdefense.com/264-diamet...-50-count.html it was designed with the Grendel in mind and expansion threshold of 1500fps.

The old A-Max was my preferred bullet and still have a hundred or so so good for a bit just using them for hunting mostly. One of my Favorites is the 129gr LRAB that LRRPF52 mentioned.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Snow_Nigerian!

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, SN, from the great nation of Texas! You'll be real happy with the Grendel for your purposes. And, by all means, get the books.

Comment

• stef1274
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2023

Hi there! Dig your style with the 2-7. Where you can't see with 7x magnification, you probably should stop shooting anyway. I have a 2-7x33 and 3-9x40, and the compactness of the 2-7 is something that truly goes with a lightweight mini action - don't depart from your original plan. It is not just scope weight that counts, but also the physical size.

Comment

Working...
              X