• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ab initio
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2023

Hi from Central SD

I've lurked around here for years reading up about the cartridge, but am only now finally making an account.

I've been playing around with a howa mini and an AR that built, trying to make some handy deer rifles that are fun to shoot. I've got a backlog of loads to test, but haven't had a ton of free time for range testing lately. Finally found some components in stock, so I hope to get back up to speed working up some accurate, fast loads with. 123 sst and 129 ablr. I've been hunting the prairies in south Dakota, so shots have ranged from 10 to 400 yards, so I'm interested in finding loads that work near and far.

I have been also flirting with the idea of trying to make some 160ish gain bullets subsonic, which I see some folks here have dabbled in.

I'm a big fan of data, measurements, and applying a scientific approach.

Cheers,
    Ab initio
  • sundowner
    Chieftain
    • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum ab initio! Subsonic 6.5 Grendel out of a Howa sounds very doable.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, ai, from the great nation of Texas! Some interesting ideas, keep us posted. Send pix.

Comment

• SDguy
          Warrior
          • Oct 2015

Welcome from the NE part of the state. Bolt action 6.5 Grendel is all I have tried. For 125 to 130 grain bullets do research on Leverevolution. I stuck with a bolt action as I have not wanted to chance mixing up gas gun & bolt gun loads.

With distance & recoil in mind I find 6mm ARC to be a bit more rewarding to shoot. still a bolt action with a 22" barrel. YMMV

Comment

• ab initio
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2023

Originally posted by just_john View Post
            Welcome to the clan, ai, from the great nation of Texas! Some interesting ideas, keep us posted. Send pix.
            Is this place like reddit where you are just looking for feet? :-p

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
            Welcome from the NE part of the state. Bolt action 6.5 Grendel is all I have tried. For 125 to 130 grain bullets do research on Leverevolution. I stuck with a bolt action as I have not wanted to chance mixing up gas gun & bolt gun loads.

With distance & recoil in mind I find 6mm ARC to be a bit more rewarding to shoot. still a bolt action with a 22" barrel. YMMV

I'm sitting on some cfe223, which should be similar to lvr according to the knowledge base here. I just saw Zen was posting some load work ups with the new staball match with 123s and it looks like that is another promising option for loads in the 120s. I'm still waiting to see what it might do in the 130-class, especially if it can be a bit more temp stable than cfe223. SD is a goofy place weather-wise, so i'm never sure if i'll be hunting in 0F or 80F.

Originally posted by sundowner View Post
            Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin .
            Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            Welcome to the forum ab initio! Subsonic 6.5 Grendel out of a Howa sounds very doable.
            Thanks all!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard!
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X