• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • escott
    Unwashed
    • May 2023

Hello from western Nevada

First of all, thank you for letting me join your forum!

After a few years of kind of wanting a Grendel, I finally just got an upper from PSA. The 18" SS barrel will probably suit me fine, but I'll find some forum threads to see if I should be kicking myself for not waiting for a 20" - or someone could let me know here!

It will eventually be a hunting rifle, but I was thrilled to see the Marksmanship Training Forum here - might have to spend a bunch of time there! I don't consider myself a "bad" marksman, but there's a lot of room for improvement - especially at 200+ yards/meters (okay, less than 200 also).

I'm following a break-in period of about 100 rounds (at 40 right now) - first ten rounds, clean bore and chamber after each shot, then after each 5 rounds thereafter. Seemed like good advice at the time; I know there's more than one way to skin a cat. The only ammo I've been able to get has been the 100 gr Wolf steel cased. There was some Nosler (?) at a local store I could have picked up for about $45 a box... Had to pass on that

Other than my new Grendel, I don't have any noteworthy or exciting items beside another AR in 5.56, a .308 bolt action, a couple 9mm pistols, an old Beretta 96, and my favorite - a 59/66 Yugo SKS with a bayonet! It's kind of like having dogs: you have to spend time with all of them. If you have too many, you're not doing them any favors.

Other than that, I'm retired from being a Systems Administrator. Now I work about 10 hrs/wk at a Christian radio station maintaining their website and misc IT work - that's my hobby money! The other job is taking care of my daughter's dogs

I better stop here before I wear out my welcome -- thanks again for having me!

Scott
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Welcome. The Grendel is a great AR-15 cartridge for Nevada. It goes the distance and bucks the wind pretty well. You'll learn a lot here.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• escott
        Unwashed
        • May 2023

Thank you for the welcome! Those are some great numbers to know. Initially I was thinking convenience with 18" - less trouble in the brush and hauling around in the hunting vehicle, but, in all honesty, it was the only one in stock, on sale, and free shipping. It seems to be very versatile between the different lengths; there's a lot to learn here.
        Last edited by escott; 05-03-2023, 12:27 AM. Reason: Add thanks

Comment

• escott
          Unwashed
          • May 2023

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
          Welcome. The Grendel is a great AR-15 cartridge for Nevada. It goes the distance and bucks the wind pretty well. You'll learn a lot here.
          Thank you! Great thought on it being a good cartridge for Nevada. Hope to learn a lot and pass it on!

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Welcome to the clan, et, from the great nation of Texas! you'll be quite satisfied with your barrel of choice. And, if a 20" starts to itch, there's no issue with having a pair of Grendels. Be warned, however, if you leave 2 of 'em alone in a dark place for more than a few minutes, there will soon be several more. Grendels are quote prolific.

Comment

• sundowner
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2017

Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin Scott , I love my 20" PSA upper , it's a tac driver .

Comment

• escott
                Unwashed
                • May 2023

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                Welcome to the clan, et, from the great nation of Texas! you'll be quite satisfied with your barrel of choice. And, if a 20" starts to itch, there's no issue with having a pair of Grendels. Be warned, however, if you leave 2 of 'em alone in a dark place for more than a few minutes, there will soon be several more. Grendels are quote prolific.
                I could see them multiplying with a few more offspring (e.g., 12", 20", bolt action, truck gun, etc)!

Comment

• escott
                  Unwashed
                  • May 2023

Originally posted by sundowner View Post
                  Welcome to the horde from Wisconsin Scott , I love my 20" PSA upper , it's a tac driver .
                  Cool! Can't wait to get some range time and get it dialed in!

PSA is going to be releasing 6.5 Grendel ammo (AAC) this coming September/October. At first I thought it was going to be steel case, but that's not the case (no pun intended)... A new production line will alternate between 6.5 G and 6mmARC. Info from AAC Ammo Users group on FB, post from Jamin McCallum. I'm guessing this will make feeding your Grendel more affordable.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X