Hi from TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from TX

I have been looking around this site for a few days. I have built 2 sbr's one in 5.56 and the other in 300 blackout. I was going to build a 5.56 SPR but started thinking about getting a little more distance and accuracy. Well, I ended up here.

My lower is finished and now trying to decide to buy an upper or build one in 6.5 grendel. From looking around from an accuracy standpoint, there seems to be one camp that says 20" and another says 24". Oh and there are some that say 18" is fine. That is my dilemma.

My lower is a Noveske N4 with a Magpul PRS stock and Geissele SD-E trigger.

Looking to be a part of this great site.

Welcome aboard, fellow Texan. You'll find lots here by using the search function, and there are many conversations regarding barrel length and all of the up/downsides to each, but ultimately, you're the final judge of your end use and needs. If you want to punch paper and steel at distance, you might go longer to wring all of the velocity you can out of the cartridge, but they can be a bit unwieldy to hunt with or shoot tactical games, if that's your preference. I've got a 24" and it's great from the bench and/or bipod, a 20" coming soon from Templar which I think will be a good compromise and an 18" which is pretty handy all around. And a 16-18" barrel can be plenty accurate out to range, as can be seen from results presented here by many-LRRPF52 comes right to mind.
    There's much to be gleaned from probing around here and presenting sensible questions, but this link is your best friend:

Comment

I think Bobke covered everything pretty well, so, welcome aboard. I too am waiting on one from templar, just counting the days! You will obtain lots of info here, and call some prospective builders if you have specific questions about barrel weights, lengths, etc.

Comment

i would look a precision firearms neptune 7 i have that without the brake -you dont need it still see all my shots- and it out shoots my custom bolt rifles -that costed me way more- hands down.......also try some of his ammo shot my antelope with his 123 amax at 752 yards...... also i have the 22inch lilja barrel.......whatever you decide you will love it!!!!!!!! welcome.........welcome.........welcome

Comment

Welcome. Barrel length and accuracy are usually met with the response that a shorter barrel of equal diamter will be more accurate, ceteris paribus. You can generate more velocity with a longer barrel of course.

If you want to continue with the SPR profile, then that is an 18" barrel. With the PRS stock, you have a foundation that is more suited to a 22" or longer blaster, although many folks like to use the PRS with pretty much anything 16" and longer when using a suppressor.

Since you already have 2 SBR's, it's probably time to get a long sword in your collection. If you are more in North or West Texas and plan to hunt, shooting from the prone is more likely.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I have looked at Precision Firearms, Templar and Alexander Arms. Not sure I'm going to stay with the SPR concept as that was more with the 5.56 in mind. From looking around, I will probably end up with a 20" or 22" barrel. Although, I do like the 18" when using a suppressor. I'm not in any hurry so I have a little time to decide.

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Howdy !

A 18"-20" barrel will effectively get you out to 500-600 yards. Beyond that it really starts to drop and get pushed around by wind. Not saying you can't shoot that far, I shoot out to 1000 yds pretty regularly with my 20", but conditions have to be very good to get consistent hits. If you want to optimize your rifle for extended ranges (500 yds +) then I recommend a 22"+ barrel.

Gig 'em!
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

txgunner00 are you class of 2000? I'm class of '94.

After a little more reading, 22" is probably where I'll end up. What is your setup? Too bad Larue doesn't have a shop. Well, you might go broke living in Leander. I have enough Dillo Dust to last a lifetime.

Gig 'em!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Hey, Coop, great to have ya!

John
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by coop94 View Post
                    txgunner00 are you class of 2000? I'm class of '94.

After a little more reading, 22" is probably where I'll end up. What is your setup? Too bad Larue doesn't have a shop. Well, you might go broke living in Leander. I have enough Dillo Dust to last a lifetime.

Gig 'em!

Yep. '00. How 'bout that game yesterday... yeesh...

I have a 20" Satern barrel in a Mega billet side charging upper, Giessele NM trigger, JP tube, Zeiss glass, yada, yada.... Pretty decent shooter.

It definitely is a good thing Larue doesn't have a store...
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                    X