Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of doing my own build. Well actually in the process of buying or trying to buy parts.

I have been flipping back and forth between the 6.5 Grendel and the .458 Socom, and it may come down to which one I can find the parts for without spending so much that I end up getting divorced.

I live in California so I have that going against me for finding pieces and parts. It seems like everything here has a premium tacked onto the price. Since I recently got gouged for my lower (I pick it up in a few days), and the lower parts kit, I guess I'm on my way.

If any of you have or currently have both the .458 and the 6.5 I'd appreciate hearing your opinions. The ability to use standard magazines with the .458 is appealing. I also like the big bore, but I also appreciate the greater accuracy at longer ranges the 6.5 offers.

Really I will probably spend more time punching holes in paper, and I'll likely use my .223 for that, but I do want to hunt with it as well. Pigs, Deer, Elk? and I don't feel comfortable relying on the .223 for that.

Thanks for any info you might have to pass on.

Welcome. The Grendel is currently the most capable do-all cartridge that fits in the AR15 receiver set, that will double-stack in the mags, and has factory ammo available for it. There are 25 factory loads currently, covering hunting and target applications.

The Grendel makes a great medium game killer, as well as low-recoiling recreational target caliber.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

6.5 grendel and .458 are way different rounds. I am surprised the choice isn't between 6.5 and 300blk at least since you mention the preference to use the same mags you use with .223. The .458 with a big wide slow slug has a place and at my place that place is filled by a bigger wider slug in a Saiga 12. : )

If you are bent on a porcine (or other mentioned game) holocaust, either 6.5 or 300blk are great choices as tools if you are interested in DRT one shot kills. If you are going to shoot beyond 200 yards the 6.5 has a massive edge in every conceivable way. If you are going to shoot subsonic the 300blk has a big edge. Both are a dream for the embarrassment of riches in choices in hunting pills. If you ever want to shoot things outside 300 yards the 6.5 is a no-brainer. You would probably have an easier time finding reloading stuff with 300blk but the grendel isn't a big headache.

Good luck with your choice!

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

They pretty much covered it already, so instead I'll just say: Welcome aboard!
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• leopard6.5

Welcome to the Horde!

Enjoy the addiction like the rest of us.

Lee

PS- you might want to put your state designation in your profile so it shows up when you post on the forum.

It let's other members know if they are in your area if you need help with anything.

Comment

• Taylormade

Welcome, I say 6.5 then .458

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome sallen-there is always the other .45 choice, the .450Bushmaster=Thumper. That may be my new Heavy Handheld Howitzer Round, no offense to the Beowulf-ever. Both are =
              Way overkill on most deer-etc.-Yet there is a huge Wow factor built into these designs.
              The .458 had a struggling start-the .450 took 2 yrs longer to be on the market-yet it is around, & easily loaded. Non proprietary rounds in the future will probably get more attention, such as the 7.62x40WT-maybe the Sharpes .257 x45-?? and a few others- parts are still out there-the machine shops are the pokey ones!
              Run 24/7-hire some new people!
              The 6.5 G is the best all around mid wt. choice for med. game. and paper killing.

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

The Grendel and Socom are two totally different animals, choice there all depends on your intended use. Personally, I think the Grendel is more applicable over a wider range of hunting situations.

The market is tough right now for a build but it's doable. I just received a LPK from PSA at a good price, you have to keep your eyes open. I wish you luck on your build and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X