• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 96superflow
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2014

Another New guy from NC

Hello everyone. I'm James from Raleigh, NC. I had a hard time trying to justify an AR style firearm where all I had previously were guns that served purposes (bolt action rifles and shotguns for hunting). Well I finally got to a place where I could afford one and decided to build it. Goal was to build it for $400 bucks, but thanks to an excellent deal on a MWI fore-end so build total w/o the Sigtac 3x was right at 550. This one was in 5.56, and I just wanted it to shoot and hunt some coyotes. Main reason for building though was to have a deer rife in an AR platform. Since the first time I had heard about it, the Grendel cartridge has stuck with me from day one. Still learning alot about the round and different chambers that they are cut so I am sure I will have questions regarding that upper build. Not trying for a budget this time, but don't want to break the bank with parts either. Anyway, Thanks for having me and I hope I can contribute something useful!

Here's a current pic of the gun.

• RangerRick
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Nice stick! Welcome aboard.

I'm in Raleigh too. Where do you shoot? I usually shoot at the Durham Pistol and Rifle club in Mebane.

RR

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• olde sarge
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Welcome 96superflow!

Comment

• 96superflow
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Thanks for the welcome y'all! I actually live south of Raleigh in Holly Springs. Normally for pistols I shoot at Drakes landing or private land. I also visit some buddies in Greenville that have farm land and we will go out and shoot the rifles there. I haven't really found a nice range yet around here for rifles. I know of Range 37 just outside of Fayetteville that is suppose to be good.

Comment

• Errorhead
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2012

Hey another NC boy here! I'm near Fuquay, with two Grendels now. Looks like enough NC Grendels for a local chapter. LOL!
            Welcome, lots of good info here.

Comment

• 96superflow
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2014

Been collecting parts for this thing currently. Still don't have any pics, but will eventually. Thus far I have the Black Hole Weaponry Barrel 1-9 Poly 18" type 1, A Tactical Ambush 7.62x39 NiBX BCG, and 3 10rd Mags. Only thing left to decide is what Fore-end to run and which adjustable gas block I want. I don't want this thing to fling the precious 6.5 brass as the plan is to reload it and shoot it again! I already have been collecting some CFE223, small rife primers, and have already picked up a 6.5 grendel hornady die set. I have also been collecting ammo one box at a time. Kinda tough to buy all this stuff when I am paying for a 10mm and another .45 at the same time!

Comment

• lednerg56
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

I got some friends in mebane! Im live about 20-25 miles from Jacksonville. Welcome 96superflow!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to your project turning out well.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 96superflow
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2014

Been a little while.. I need to put up a build these, but got this thing put together and shot it Saturday. Turns out that the camber has issues... Burrs in the chamber or chamber cut too tight. I tried shooting both Hornady and PPU out of it and it would not feed without punching the forward assist to seat the cartridge, and then wouldn't extract causing a double feed. It would function the 100grn WPA Ammo with no issues. I already sent BHW an email to see what we can do to figure this out...

I'll get some pics of this thing up here soon.

Comment

• reaper12
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2015

Welcome from Florida
                      The only Love that Money can buy is a Dog

Comment

• am4966
                        Chieftain
                        • Jul 2014

If they have to give you a new barrel make them give you one of there new Saami spec'd chamber. Or maybe you should demand it I would also use a type II bolt. Even if they give you a 264lbc use. .136 bolt
                        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• alicea8541
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2014

Welcome fellow North Carolinian!
                          JADE Precision, LLC
                          Military and Technical Development Advisor
                          Sponsors: Athlon Optics, Etymotic Research, and Kestrel Meters

Comment

Working...
                          X