• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tearlach61
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2014

New Grendel owner in Alaska

I had a 6.5 Grendel upper receiver made for me by JP Enterprises and it came in about a couple weeks ago. I have been doing some barrel break-in and load development and I am very impressed by the accuracy I have seen so far. Easily the most accurate gun I own. I have questions of course, but I'll save those for elsewhere on the forum.
  • danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Tearlach61 View Post
    I had a 6.5 Grendel upper receiver made for me by JP Enterprises and it came in about a couple weeks ago. I have been doing some barrel break-in and load development and I am very impressed by the accuracy I have seen so far. Easily the most accurate gun I own. I have questions of course, but I'll save those for elsewhere on the forum.
    Greetings!

Comment

• D.Davis
      Warrior
      • Sep 2013

Greetings from Chugiak!

Comment

• olde sarge
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Welcome Tearlach61

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. I think the 6.5 Grendel JP carbines and rifles are awesome, especially when you balance it with the Silent Capture Spring.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Butterbean
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

Welcome.
            Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• Tearlach61
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2014

Chugiak! Nice. A little far from me, I am in Juneau.

Comment

• Tearlach61
                Unwashed
                • Nov 2014

Thanks! I got a 22" barrel, a low mass BCG and the recoil eliminator compensator (a bit overkill maybe but I am being aggressive on the recoil). The velocities haven't been quite what I was hoping for (high 2300s by the time I was maxing out with BLC2 and 123 Amax and low 2500s by the time I was maxing out with the CFE223) which kind of surprises me with the 22" barrel but the accuracy is great. Very consistent across the various loads I have run through it as part of an OCW with 2 different powders. 11 3 shot groups during the course of my load development, 9 of which were under an inch and the groups hardly moved on the target. I'd say the aggregate group of about 50 rounds of 11 different loads with 2 different powders would fit within 2 inches which makes load selection a bit of a head scratcher. I think I'll be looking for velocity consistency. On a couple of the loads the velocity seemed to tighten up some.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

What COL are you using, and what can you load to without jamming the lands? I use 2.275" for the 123gr A-MAX on CFE, and have passed 2500fps easily with a 16" Grendel. I didn't see any departures from the trendline in pressure until the mid-2600fps range. I am more than comfortable loading at 2500fps.

Once I get out and test the same loads in some 18" barrels, I'll have a better idea of where I want to be at with CFE in them as well.

The JP Barrels seem to group large shot strings really well.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tearlach61
                      Unwashed
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      What COL are you using, and what can you load to without jamming the lands? I use 2.275" for the 123gr A-MAX on CFE, and have passed 2500fps easily with a 16" Grendel. I didn't see any departures from the trendline in pressure until the mid-2600fps range. I am more than comfortable loading at 2500fps.

Once I get out and test the same loads in some 18" barrels, I'll have a better idea of where I want to be at with CFE in them as well.

I have been loading mine 2.25" to make sure they fit in the mag with no drama. Are you loading yours for an AR? Do you get to them to fit in the mag? I have a 5.56 that I load for and I find that 2.26" really is the limit otherwise they start to not go in or bind.

Comment

• Tearlach61
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Follow-up. I am intrigued with the COAL thing. I measured my mag and it looks like I have room to spare, something in excess of 2.30". This kind of surprises me, with the 5.56 anything over 2.26 wouldn't fit. I will have to play with it and see how far out I can leave the bullets before they start to touch the lands and see how that compares with my available mag length. How far off of 'jamming the lands' are you?

Comment

• GSPHunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2014

Hi Tearlach61! I've been using a COL of 2.26" with 123gnSST's and 30.8gn Leverevolution.....Out of my 20" J&T I've been getting a pretty solid 2500FPS with good accuracy. I've run up to 2580 with 32.0 gn CFE223 but havn't been able to find it on the shelves for about a year here in Fairbanks, so leverevolution it is.....I finally got to take it out hunting for the 40 mile caribou last Monday, and the 2500FPS loading did just fine :-)
                          Last edited by GSPHunter; 12-08-2014, 03:07 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Tearlach61 View Post
                            I have been loading mine 2.25" to make sure they fit in the mag with no drama. Are you loading yours for an AR? Do you get to them to fit in the mag? I have a 5.56 that I load for and I find that 2.26" really is the limit otherwise they start to not go in or bind.
                            My mags allow a raw internal length of 2.305" or longer, some more than that, but I'm fine at 2.275" for sure. Yes, for an AR15. A lot of the 6.5 Grendel load data is for 2.260", especially the secant ogive bullets.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• achristian8
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2014

Welcome.
                              Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X