• Sep 2014

Originally posted by stanc View Post
    Oh, yes. It takes a huuuuge amount of planning to:

Book a hotel room.
    Bring guns into the hotel in luggage.
    Break window.
    Shoot guns.

Puhleeez.
    We know from the Sheriff's news conference that the sheer volume of material brought to the hotel raises suspicions that others were involved. The level of planning was indeed impressive,

The speculation is reasonable. A response beyond a juvenile rolling of eyes might lead to more productive discussions.

Regardless, the investigation will take time and we might then know whether this was truly a lone wolf, active act of terrorism, or something in between.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      We know from the Sheriff's news conference that the sheer volume of material brought to the hotel raises suspicions that others were involved.
      Nothing was brought in that couldn't have been easily handled by an able-bodied adult male.

The level of planning was indeed impressive,
      What do you find so impressive about renting a hotel room overlooking the target?

The speculation is reasonable.
      In the absence of any indication that other people were involved, the speculation seems like a wet dream of conspiracy theorists.

A response beyond a juvenile rolling of eyes might lead to more productive discussions.
      Actually, rolling of eyes is an appropriate response to the idea that booking a hotel room and bringing in luggage is indicative of an unusually high level of planning.

And I gave a more extensive and detailed response in post #45.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

(http://abcnews.com/Politics/sen-fein...ry?id=50276506)

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Hey, it's all speculation given he topped himself and is not around to be grilled. My theory that he's a just a homicidal old b*astard is also speculation. What is for certain is there is no evidence so far at the scenes that he's a radicalised terrorist, or that there's more than one bad guy. Maybe in time we will find out he was lured there by terrorists who then topped him to make it look like he did it. Like in the movies. Reminds me of that old classic movie Telephon, where the brain washed Soviet sleepers are brought to life by Donald Pleasance and Charles Brosnan has to clean up the mess...
          "The woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Miles to go Stephen..."

Comment

• 41bear
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

The progressives inside the beltway can't even wait until the blood dries on the cement to bellow out their puke. There is only one thing on their agenda kill the Second amendment and they appear to drool over each and every body downed by gun fire. It is so simplistic as to be laughable if it were not so scary given the reaction by the conservatives sitting across the isle from them.

To think that a law would have deterred this guy from his mission is not only crazy but detracts from the real need to look into the root cause of violence in this country.

With all that said the reactions of my fellow citizens in these last few months to both nature's and man's assault is a wonderful tribute to human kind, we have given freely of both our time, blood, and money to help our fellow man. Common man with uncommon valor!
            "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Here is what Fox News quoted from the LV Sheriff:

"Clark County, Nev., Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said Wednesday that it was only logical to “make the assumption” that Stephen Paddock had “some help at some point” in pulling off Sunday's massacre."

(http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/05...ome-point.html)

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Nothing was brought in that couldn't have been easily handled by an able-bodied adult male.

What do you find so impressive about renting a hotel room overlooking the target?

In the absence of any indication that other people were involved, the speculation seems like a wet dream of conspiracy theorists.

Actually, rolling of eyes is an appropriate response to the idea that booking a hotel room and bringing in luggage is indicative of an unusually high level of planning.

And I gave a more extensive and detailed response in post #45.
              Last edited by JASmith; 10-05-2017, 12:56 PM.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

So no grandfather clause...
                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

""

(http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/05...ome-point.html)
                  That's fine, Lombardo is entitled to make assumptions too. Maybe he's referring to the hotel bellhop helping Paddock up to his room with all those heavy bags. Seriously, until his team finds evidence of a second shooter then it's Stephen Paddock by himself.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    That's fine, Lombardo is entitled to make assumptions too. Maybe he's referring to the hotel bellhop helping Paddock up to his room with all those heavy bags. Seriously, until his team finds evidence of a second shooter then it's Stephen Paddock by himself.
                    My sense is also that there was no second shooter.

On the other hand, the sheer logistcal mass and planning apparently involved would seem to seriously stress the resources of a single individual.

But, he had that hotel room for several days and so had time to lug it all in by himself. Those hotels are so busy that the staff might not necessarily notice that the same person was making multiple trips in out out with bags.

With luck, the security cameras recorded all the activity on that floor and over the rest of the hotel. That would indicate whether he had help during that part of the prep. Nothing I know of has been said about that part of the investigation to date.
                    shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• stanc
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2011

""
                      "

Are there any of those which could not be done easily by one man???

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

My sense is also that there was no second shooter.

On the other hand, the sheer logistcal mass and planning apparently involved would seem to seriously stress the resources of a single individual.
                        I'd like to know why people like you think it was such a challenging task for one man.

Las Vegas concerts are advertised, so it would be easy to learn the dates and locations.
                        It takes only a few minutes to do a google map recon for hotels near the concert venues.
                        Booking a hotel room can easily be done in a few minutes by anyone with greater than a double-digit IQ.
                        The FoxNews article you quoted says he "spent decades stockpiling guns," so he already had the necessary weapons.

What is it you find so monumentally difficult that would "seriously stress the resources" of a single individual???

But, he had that hotel room for several days and so had time to lug it all in by himself. Those hotels are so busy that the staff might not necessarily notice that the same person was making multiple trips in out out with bags.
                        Precisely. Who's going to notice one person out of many bringing luggage into a hotel the size of the Mandalay Bay?

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I would like to see if he was a consumer of any psychotropic medicine. Bill stated awhile ago that the follow up and care with the mentally ill is disgraceful and most of these mass killers were users of some form of psychotropic drug. I'm afraid the real lessons of these type of mass shootings will once again be brushed aside for advantageous political reasons.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I haven't heard anything in all the videos, and I've watched/listened to many of them now, that indicates a second shooter.

I've heard a lot of automatic fire from support-by-fire positions when maneuvering as an assault element, to include both 5.56 SAW and 7.62 NATO M60 and M240 fire, including in urban environments at distance. The first time you hear machine-gun fire in an urban environment, you hear the supersonic mach waves of the projectiles, then the muzzle report, and quickly work out in your head what one gun versus two guns sounds like. Echoes in the urban terrain can be very deceiving to someone who hasn't heard it before, but it only takes a little while to distinguish what is what.

When 2 or more guns are rocking, it's pretty easy to tell. I don't hear that in any of the videos that have been posted, and given the stacks of Surefire 100rd mags he had plus the Bumpfire stocks, I'm not seeing any inconsistencies in what he was able to do as a loner. Not saying there was a 2nd shooter, but everything appears to be consistent with a single shooter at this point.

One of the more overlooked physical tasks he had to pull off was breaching those windows, which are tempered very strong and have laminates applied to them. The vet in one of the floors below him said he heard explosions, then automatic fire, and could tell when he switched between 5.56 and 7.62 caliber weapons. I'm wondering if he used some of the Tannerite or improvised explosives to blow out the windows, then clear the glass with the small sledge hammer. Even after being cracked, those windows are not easy to displace for firing ports.

Another big question is where was the video he set up being streamed to? Sheriff Lombardo (who has previously stated that he supports magazine capacity restrictions) said the suspect used an unusually high bandwidth of internet data to stream to some other location overseas.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Interesting assumption, that he used his Tannerite to blow out the window. He would have to know something about window breaching. Using precisely what was needed and no more, especially if he was taking cover inside the same pressure containment vessel.

I have experience with explosives; both in the military and a few years ago as a licenced Shotfirer for a drilling company. He would have to have had that powder in intimate contact with the window for something as precise as cutting. This means he would have needed some sort of frame and practised with it to know how the velocity of detonation (VOD) of that substance acts when it comes to changing direction in the frame. Or, you could rely on the overpressure of Tannerite which means you would need a beaucoup amount in the pressure containment vessel; the room. At the same he was turned into a smoked vegetable it would have popped the door into the corridor. Tannerite also produces a lot of smoke and flash (contains aluminium and titanium powder) which would have acted like a giant flash-bang. Without a breathing mask he would have been incapacitated. Tannerite flash/smoke would have been visible to the 100's of people below as it poured out that window. Regardless of all this, the police would know all this by now and reported it to the media. Nothing so spectacular I am afraid, just a crazy old guy with a big hammer. The people downstairs made a mistake interpreting the thumping.

The other point you make about Lombardo's concern over his high bandwidth streaming is interesting...That Sherriff seems to be feeding the media's thirst for immediate answers with speculation. Police should stick to the facts and leave the speculating to the media, the public, and conspiracy theorists. Maybe as a wealthy guy he could afford a fast internet service, for no other reason than it's fast.
                              Last edited by Klem; 10-05-2017, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Motive.

We, as AR and gun owners, are clearly in the crosshairs.
                                Last edited by bj139; 10-06-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X