• stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

New NRA Pres: Ritalin Causes School Shootings

2:10

• Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

As a drug goes it certainly seems to be overly prescribed to the youth of our country for treatment of ADD and ADHD syndromes.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Don't support fake news. Don't give CNN your clicks.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Tex Nomex
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

It's an unproven argument that will open the door to all sorts of mental-health-checklist anti-gun maneuvers and so is an ill-conceived move on Ollie's part.

We'd be better off examining the lives of the modern white beta-male - the only group that can now be attacked/ridiculed mercilessly with no punitive repercussions for the abusers and no solace for the abused.

It's true that games and movies do imply that guns=power and that retribution is rewarding. Maybe today's kids can't tell the difference between this reality and that fantasy; they're eating Tide Pods ffs!
        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
        -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
          It's true that games and movies do imply that guns=power and that retribution is rewarding.
          However, that's nothing new. Movies have been showing violence and retribution committed with guns for more than half a century.

A few prime examples that come to mind:

Point Blank (1967)
          The Wild Bunch (1969)
          Death Wish (1974)

And BTW, movies do not "imply" that guns=power. Guns actually do equal power.
          Last edited by stanc; 05-23-2018, 01:52 AM.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I would guess the victim mentality taught in our schools and "the youth of today" not being taught how to deal with rejection, bullying, or failure. Instead of learning from their failures, they have been taught to blame others for life's hardships and lash out with a three year old mentality. All of this stems from poor parenting or the complete lack of.

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by montana View Post
              I would guess the victim mentality taught in our schools and "the youth of today" not being taught how to deal with rejection, bullying, or failure. Instead of learning from their failures, they have been taught to blame others for life's hardships and lash out with a three year old mentality. All of this stems from poor parenting or the complete lack of.
              well said!
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• PAsasquatch
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2018

This argument may have some validity to it; though I believe it is far to narrow. Modern society has pretty much forwarded the idea that a pill can fix problems instead of addressing the cause of the problem. When the pill doesn't fix the problem people throw their hands in the air and walk away.

Off topic: Why do people feed their children speed anyway?

Is this "ritalin" statement going to impact our 2A rights?

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by PAsasquatch View Post
                  This argument may have some validity to it; though I believe it is far to narrow.
                  I think it's BS, a desperate attempt to divert attention away from guns. He said, "Many of these young [school shooters] have been on Ritalin since they were in kindergarten."
                  I did a brief search, but found nothing to support the notion that Ritalin was taken by many school shooters, let alone was a causative factor.

Originally posted by PAsasquatch View Post
                  Is this "ritalin" statement going to impact our 2A rights?
                  Directly, probably not. Indirectly, possibly, as it not only negatively affects NRA credibility, it conceivably (as Tex pointed out) could be used as an argument for more gun laws.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

I would guess the victim mentality taught in our schools...
                    I haven't been in a high school classroom for well over 50 years. What "victim mentality" are they teaching these days?

...and "the youth of today" not being taught how to deal with rejection, bullying, or failure.
                    LOL. When I was "a youth of long ago," I was never taught how to deal with rejection, bullying, or failure, either. It didn't cause me to want to go on a shooting rampage.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                      I haven't been in a high school classroom for well over 50 years. What "victim mentality" are they teaching these days?

LOL. When I was "a youth of long ago," I was never taught how to deal with rejection, bullying, or failure, either. It didn't cause me to want to go on a shooting rampage.
                      They are pre programming the kids to accept the NWO, and drink more koolaid. I was floored by some of my GF daughters narritives of "How was school today?"

I would agree that all this can and does lead back to "Parenting", or lack thereof. It's not the movies, it's not the video games. Parents are not calibrating their breeding results moral compass.

Stanc - Society in your time did give you the tools to cope with the rejection, bullying, and failure. I presume you did not get a "Participant" trophy or ribbon in school sports? You either placed in the top three, or you got nothing but "Try harder". If you were bullied, you either settled it and got your but whipped, whipped the others butt, or sucked it up and dealt with it, and had the support of your friends that were also bullied by the same individual(s).

As for this statement by the NRA - it falls in line with blaming the gun not the individual for the event. It just might work on the Left, though I agree it was not a bright move.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        Stanc - Society in your time did give you the tools to cope with the rejection, bullying, and failure.
                        Funny, I don't recall society doing any such thing.

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                        I presume you did not get a "Participant" trophy or ribbon in school sports? You either placed in the top three, or you got nothing but "Try harder".
                        Not applicable. I didn't participate in school sports.

Comment

• m796rider
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post

Ollie North's assertions are nonsense unless you read "kids are overprescribed medication these days" from his comments (that's iffy, IMHO).

However, drawing any global conclusions solely from your own experiences is equally nonsense.

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
                            Ollie North's assertions are nonsense unless you read "kids are overprescribed medication these days" from his comments (that's iffy, IMHO).
                            His comment about overprescribed meds is not only iffy, it does not validate the accuracy of his statement that "many" of the kids who shot up schools had been on Ritalin for most of their lives, nor is it evidence that Ritalin has any cause/effect relationship in school shootings done by the few kids who had used it.

Originally posted by m796rider
                            However, drawing any global conclusions solely from your own experiences is equally nonsense.
                            Nor would I do so. What my own experience shows is that not being taught how to deal with rejection, bullying, or failure isn't something new and unique to the current generation of kids, and thereby casts doubt on montana's premise.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Communist News Network fails once again at even a semblance of journalism with sensationalist BS headlines that have almost no relevance to the actual comments of their target, and I'm not a huge Oliver North fan.

Here are the actual comments:

“They've been drugged in many cases. Nearly all of these perpetrators are male, and they're young teenagers in most cases, and they've come through a culture where violence is commonplace," said North. "Many of these young boys have been on Ritalin since they were in kindergarten. Now, I am certainly not a doctor, I'm a Marine, but I can see those kinds of things happening."

North added: "The problem that we've got is, we're trying like the dickens to treat the symptom without treating the disease, and the disease in this case isn't the Second Amendment; the disease is youngsters who are steeped in a culture of violence."
                              I don't agree with both of his conclusions, that a culture of violence among youngsters is the underlying cause. I do agree that the right to keep and bear arms isn't the disease.

So far, the least common denominator I'm seeing with school shootings is perpetrators who felt victimized or were victimized at the schools, with no real sense of justice enforced by adults at the schools. It's a simple matter of payback once they've felt ostracized from their peer groups at such an early age, especially when other students feed into the bullying and laugh at them while they're being humiliated.

The next common denominator is psychotropic medication either on current doses, or during withdrawal from prescribed dosing: Adam Lanza, Columbine-Harris/Luvox, Klebold/records sealed, Mamoru Takuma, Jon Romano, Jeff Weise, William Barrett Foster, Alvaro Rafael Castillo, Travis Roberson, John Odgren, Asa Coon, Felicia McMillan, Pekka-Eric Auvinen, Steven Kazmierczak, Jesus “Jesse” Carrizales, Matti Saari, Hammad Memon , Christian Helms (ADHD/depression meds/pipe bombs), Sean Johnson, Jose Reyes, Chris Plaskon, Aaron Ybarra, Myron May, Kendrex J. White, Laurie Wasserman Dann, Calvin Charles Bell, Stephen Leith, Toby R. Sincino, Kip Kinkel, and Shawn Cooper.

9 of those incidents were pretty brutal stabbings. 4 involved shotguns. 24 involved shootings.

100% of them involved prescription psychotropic medication. Several were females and are not limited to the US. Source: https://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

The Columbine kids (Klebold and Harris) were bullied badly at CHS, to the extent that ketchup-covered tampons and ketchup packets were thrown and squirted all over them in the commons area in front of all the students present.

Looks like this latest kid in Texas was bullied as well and sought revenge.

Lanza's psychiatrist faced child sexual abuse allegations, so he shredded all his files, closed his practice, and fled to New Zealand. I didn't know that until I was doing some research recently on causal factors to these incidents. We still don't know what all Lanza went through, but for whatever reason, he wanted to lash out at that school after his mom pulled him off his psych meds when his arm stopped working.

The obvious and glaring causal factors of these mass shootings, especially at schools, seem to be:

* Revenge/retribution/targeting of easy mass casualty areas
                              * Psyche meds

Firearms are not the common denominator because many of the incidents involve stabbings, some bombs, at least one baseball bat to a school resource officer's head, and swords.

Therefor, it only makes sense to ban AR15s.

It helps if you were trained not to think critically, have zero observational powers or logical thought, and copy off of other people's test papers after not studying.

Since the companies that manufacture these narcotics are some of the biggest sponsors of CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, guns get blamed, or people shedding light on one of the causal factors then have their comments packaged and are personally attacked, rather than accepting the real issues.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X