• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Mass shooting in Canada

This shooting occurred 3 months after a nut with a van killed 10 and injured 15 people. https://www.dailysabah.com/americas/...anadas-toronto
    The logic now seems to be asking why anyone needs 20 guns under their law let alone any gun in the city of Toronto.

Yup, that antiquated 2ndA sure is a thorn in the side of progressives in the US, "preventing them from keeping all of us safe" like in Canada.
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

The victims should sue the restaurant for not having windows of bulletproof glass...

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
      The victims should sue the restaurant for not having windows of bulletproof glass...
      The victims and MGM are suing each other, so I wouldn't be surprised. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/u...s-victims.html
      People tend to forget the only place the blame belongs is on the shooter, but there usually isn't any big payout with that type of thinking.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
        People tend to forget the only place the blame belongs is on the shooter...
        That may be true most of the time, but not always. A business that is aware of a threat, but take no protective measures, is partly responsible for what happens to its customers and employees when the threat does materialize.

This is not the first time that such a restaurant shooting has occurred. Any ground-level restaurant (or similar business) that doesn't have bullet-resistant windows is partly to blame if its customers are shot in an attack like this.

Comment

• 41bear
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

That may be true most of the time, but not always. A business that is aware of a threat, but take no protective measures, is partly responsible for what happens to its customers and employees when the threat does materialize.

This is not the first time that such a restaurant shooting has occurred. Any ground-level restaurant (or similar business) that doesn't have bullet-resistant windows is partly to blame if its customers are shot in an attack like this.
          Of course you are right, in a modern day sue happy no personal responsibility way. Reminds me of hot coffee and step ladders.
          "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

I'm going to pull a Stanc -

The Hot Coffee/McDonalds epic was moreover the fact that McDonlads intentionally kept their coffee stupid hot by policy - North of 190* - so they would not waste as much. That made it a gross negligence civil suit, and they got their arse handed to them by a jury, not the 79 y/o woman plaintiff who only wanted the medical paid.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Why yes, "the Canadian restrictive gun laws and mentality" doesn't prevent violence let alone gun violence. I too, "feel having the Constitutional right to bear arms" makes sense and makes me proud to be an American citizen. Oh wait, you were getting off topic.......Never mind!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Why do I need armored glass at my restaurant in a society that controls guns so effectively?
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Why do I need armored glass at my restaurant in a society that controls guns so effectively?
                  That such attacks still happen is proof that guns are not being controlled effectively. More gun control laws are needed!

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                    Why yes, "the Canadian restrictive gun laws and mentality" doesn't prevent violence let alone gun violence. I too, "feel having the Constitutional right to bear arms" makes sense and makes me proud to be an American citizen. Oh wait, you were getting off topic.......Never mind!
                    How am I off topic? You posted a story about somebody shooting restaurant patrons through the business' window. That's what I was discussing.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

That such attacks still happen is proof that guns are not being controlled effectively. More gun control laws are needed!
                      Maybe it's armor control that we need. Just mandate that everyone wear armor, eat in armored establishments, wear armored face shields and clothing, and drive armored cars.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved!

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by 41bear View Post
                        Of course you are right, in a modern day sue happy no personal responsibility way. Reminds me of hot coffee and step ladders.
                        I've no idea how hot coffee and step ladders is relevant, but what I said is about personal responsibility.

A while back there was a discussion about a shooting at a restaurant that had a "No Guns" policy, and most people here were adamant that the restaurant was responsible for its customers' safety.

In an era when shootings like that in the OP are known to occur, any ground level restaurant that has ordinary glass windows is gambling with their customers' lives, betting that "it won't happen here."

How is that not irresponsible?
                        Last edited by stanc; 07-24-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Maybe it's armor control that we need. Just mandate that everyone wear armor, eat in armored establishments, wear armored face shields and clothing, and drive armored cars.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved!

There ya go. We get to keep our guns, and everybody is protected from being shot. I call that a win-win. Plus, the armor makers make a lot of $$$, so it's a win-win-win!

Comment

• 41bear
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

I've no idea how hot coffee and step ladders is relevant, but what I said is about personal responsibility.

No what you are saying is that a/any business is responsible for the safety of their customers which is Corporate responsibility.

A while back there was a discussion about a shooting at a restaurant that had a "No Guns" policy, and most people here were adamant that the restaurant was responsible for its customers' safety.

I won't comment about "Most" people, that said, anyone doing business with such an establishment is automatically putting themselves in harms way which means they are giving up their personal responsibility in favor of the flip of a coin. I don't visit such places as I consider any "gun Free" zone as an open invitation for bad things to happen. And of course they do, quite often.

In an era when shootings like that in the OP are known to occur, any ground level restaurant that has ordinary glass windows is gambling with their customers' lives, betting that "it won't happen here."

How is that not irresponsible?
                            It is if you visit such places.
                            Last edited by 41bear; 07-24-2018, 05:07 PM.
                            "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

OK Stan, I'll bite, "which gun control laws should Canada have passed" that would have prevented such attacks?

Comment

Working...
                              X