• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Value of the 2A Sub Forum on 6.5 Grendel Forum

In light of how the 2A sub-forum is going, I wanted to take a poll on its value to the site.

What we've seen over the years is that any 2A sub forums have become a major distraction from the technical nature of the forum, requiring the most moderation effort to regulate and police, with minimal-to-no benefits, other than the antagonizing of members who would have otherwise been here for gaining, sharing, and discussing technical information specific to the relevant topics associated with 6.5 Grendel.

There are many different backgrounds and ideas representative of a wide membership base, all of whom are interested and invested in 6.5 Grendel to some degree. Arguing over various interpretations of the Constitution, laws, violations of our laws and rights, or pending legislation really distracts from the intent of the forum.

However, there is the aspect of being informed about pending State legislation, but I have yet to see anyone here who doesn't get alerts on that from other sources first.

We've eliminated the 2A forum in the past because it became nothing but a headache to moderate. Hanka allowed it again, as long as it didn't turn into a mud-slinging and personal insult medium again.

I personally am not seeing a lot of value in it relevant to the forum.
    Not very. I visit 6.5 Grendel for technical info only.
    0%
    Somewhat important, but I mainly visit the forum for technical info related to 6.5 Grendel.
    0%
    An even mix of Grendel-specific and 2A issues.
    0%
    Very important. I primarily visit the Grendel forum for discussions on the 2A.
    0%
    The Grendel Forum is my primary battle ground for 2A discussions and debates.
    0%
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

I voted 'Somewhat'.

But in regards to its value, i quite appreciate it. As iron sharpens iron and all that. (I think i stole that from Nugginfutz) I have no doubt its 98% of moderation on here, but i hope it doesn't go away personally!

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

I have, for the first time, put a member on ignore because of the content of his posts solely in this forum.

Now I'm good whenever I check that forum out.

Comment

• 41bear
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52
        In light of how the 2A sub-forum is going, I wanted to take a poll on its value to the site.

What we've seen over the years is that any 2A sub forums have become a major distraction from the technical nature of the forum, requiring the most moderation effort to regulate and police, with minimal-to-no benefits, other than the antagonizing of members who would have otherwise been here for gaining, sharing, and discussing technical information specific to the relevant topics associated with 6.5 Grendel.

There are many different backgrounds and ideas representative of a wide membership base, all of whom are interested and invested in 6.5 Grendel to some degree. Arguing over various interpretations of the Constitution, laws, violations of our laws and rights, or pending legislation really distracts from the intent of the forum.

However, there is the aspect of being informed about pending State legislation, but I have yet to see anyone here who doesn't get alerts on that from other sources first.

We've eliminated the 2A forum in the past because it became nothing but a headache to moderate. Hanka allowed it again, as long as it didn't turn into a mud-slinging and personal insult medium again.

I personally am not seeing a lot of value in it relevant to the forum.
        I never visited the 2A forum until a few weeks ago and promply fell into the trap of debate until I read that sticky which lead me to reconsider why I come here and decided to no longer participate. There are many other forums where one can jump right into that arena with both feet and gusto. It would not bother me one bit to see that forum disappear forever from this site.

PS thanks for starting this thread.
        "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I come to the 6.5 Grendel forum to talk about 6.5 Grendel.....

I am just glad this forum cleans up the middle school tuff guy playground language, sexist or racist comments I see on other gun forums.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

I had hoped that the 2A forum discssions could lead to actionable suggestions on how to, not just defend, but to proactively strengthen our 2A protections.

Examples: How to get more people shooting; ways to provide more recreational shooting opportunities in the inner city; etc.

These would be beyond the semi-academic discussions of why does the amendment exist and all the subtleties involved.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I voted "somewhat" on the scale. Of course the technical info, sharing, advice, etc on the Grendel is of paramount importance.

I ardently support and believe in defending the 2A from all attackers, and welcome other viewpoints. However, one poster in particular seems to post only his opinions and typically gets wound up in semantical points, never any corroborating evidence or references, so the weight of that one's statements are of little value to me mostly -- he has a right to post for sure, but when someone can point to historical documentation, court citations, Federalist papers, etc, that's of real value.

I still support the forum with or without this 2A section.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I have been fighting the anti-gun crowed for over 40 years now. The ignorance I have seen from the anti's as well as pro gun supporters has astounded me. I have tried to post relevant information to inform pro 2ndA members of current news on relevant topics and give ammunition to use against their so called justified attacks on our gun rights. If the 2A section has not helped to educated and inspire members to battle such attacks, "but has only served to annoy everyone" then there is no need to keep it.

Comment

• MrDraco
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2011

When the 2A section was added I was pretty excited, finally a section in which we could discuss the events and on-goings about gun control groups. However it wasn't long till one or two people turned the whole section and every thread made in it their own pissing contest, arguing semantics and definitions, and eventually bullying others into their own beliefs about what should or shouldn't be covered or allowed. Now I only visit that section when a new thread is made and only look at the first post to see why that thread was made, everything after that is the same bs by the same one to two people that is in every other thread.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

I voted somewhat. But I barely bother to come to this sub forum anymore. Probably for the same reason that a lot of others don't. My guess is that many won't even see this poll because, although they'd like to participate, they don't bother coming since every thread gets hijacked.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

I went with "Not very". It could be more, but as I have already made clear, the last few weeks worth of posts within the 2A have rapidly devolved into arguments over minutia and little else. It has, in no uncertain terms, turned into an arena where one member holds court, while the others play wack-a-mole with his posts. The most recent thread contains no fewer than 12 of the present 29 posts from a single poster. That is over 1/3 of the bandwidth. You could say that he sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

Not the environment I am looking for, otherwise I would post much more frequently in the sub-board.

Sorry, Stan, but I call them like I see them.
                      Last edited by NugginFutz; 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

I really want to click on "View Post" below:
                        This message is hidden because stanc is on your ignore list.

At least I have a Vaper to stop me from reaching for a cigarette......
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Every time I log into the forum and see threads ending with "Room 2A", I think,

"Ah crap, not this again."

And I love to discuss the 2A. It just seems the normal gentlemanly conduct of the forum takes a back seat for some reason in the 2A sub-forum, and distracts moderation from the technical topics. Most of the threads get locked because people can't seem to follow the Code of Conduct.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2016

When i come onto the site i click the "new posts" button to see all the new posts since my last visit. I can literally read the titles and know which ones will be locked without ever going to them. I like the idea of having a 2a section but unfortunately it somehow brings out the bad in people who should all be on the same side being that this is a forum related to guns. People like stanc have gone on my ignore which is really unfortunate because if he actually had something useful to post i would never see it. The way the 2a forum currently is is not beneficial to me personally and seems to just bring about a bunch of negativity.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                              When i come onto the site i click the "new posts" button to see all the new posts since my last visit. I can literally read the titles and know which ones will be locked without ever going to them.
                              Yup. I have the same reaction. "That'll get locked any moment now." I can't remember ever locking a thread on this forum either, other than spammers.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X