• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

WA I-1639 passes

My condolences to the Washington horde members, where a Ruger 10/22 is now an assault rifle. I have no doubt the anti-gun crowd will have an identical proposition on the Oregon ballot within a couple of years.

Are any of you planning on divesting of your AR-15s?

The only statewide gun legislation on the ballot this Election Day was approved by 60 percent of Washington voters. Initiative 1639 will tighten laws on semi-automatic rifles in the state.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
  • Lantern
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

They worry about this stuff when cell phone use while driving(something that is NOT A RIGHT) causes 1.6 million crashes, almost 400,000 injuries and almost 4000 deaths every year. And that's just what's reported. If folks are soooo consumed with protecting young people and life in general they should start with common sense steps.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Well it is already illegal to even have a cell phone in your hand while driving (whether you are using it or not). You can't even have a cup of coffee in your hand while driving. That's right, no eating or drinking in the car. Despite that, Washington still has more drive though coffee shops than anywhere else I have ever seen. McDonalds hasn't closed down any of their drive through windows either. Eating, drinking and cell phone use is still rampant with drivers in Washington state. I know because I live here and see it all the time.

This is kind of the same thing. They are making laws that have absolutely no effect other than cost money and give the cops more excuses to pick on you. The last WA state gun bill that passed has done nothing to help control guns. It says that all private transfers have to go through an FFL (like myself) and have the same background checks done that new guns from dealers go through. Then they added a bunch of paperwork for the FFLs on all handgun transfers and sales. Dealers now charge about $50 per transfer because it takes so much time to do all the paperwork.

So people have a choice. Ignore the law and do the deal in a parking lot with no fee (just like they have always done). Or spend an extra $50 and go through the hassle. This is especially true out here were I'm the only FFL within a 45 minute drive. Guess which one most people chose. I charge $5 per transfer or $0 if you are buying it from me. I don't believe in taxing people into being a criminal.

I don't know how this new law is going to play out logistically. If I an help the citizens remain legal gun owners for little or no cost I will.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

Here's a bit more of an explanation.
        Bad news for Washington State gun owners. The draconian gun-control initiative, I-1639, passed in this week's election, with roughly 60% voter approval. Big changes are in store for the Evergreen State, starting January 1, 2019.

FG ~ Sounds like there's a training requirement. You might be able to help save your community some money there.

The Initiative will require that, as part of a legally compliant transaction, a purchaser or transferee of a "assault rifle" must show the dealer a “certification” or proof of training within the previous five years. The Initiative’s requirements for this training are unclear; it only lists six topics that must be covered, and does not define minimum hours of training, live-fire component or qualifications of the trainers. There are no exceptions to the training requirement. This will add to the cost and time needed to legally acquire any rifle that comes within the definition of a SAR.

You know that I-1639 is bad news for Second Amendment supporters, but what specific changes to the current law would it introduce? Here’s a summary detailing some of the changes in this 30-page document.
        Paul Peloquin

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Yep, that was my thinking as well. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I wonder if shooting 3 gun or multi gun competition would satisfy the required training. Some of the most competent rifle shooters are active competition shooters. It is also a lot of fun. Just tell the wife, sorry dear I have to do my required training every Sunday. I will also need to purchase that new competition AR, optics and Dillon reloader. When given a lemon, turn it into lemonade

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• MaineAR
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

I read the entire 30+ page initiative because I used to live in WA (born and raised) and still have family and friends behind enemy lines. Most of it is redundant and superficial to make people feel good. Other things like mandatory training and all the extra hoops that dealers now will have to go through is just stupid. And yes, the classification of a 10/22 or BAR as a a “assault rifle” (meaningless and made up term) is more ridiculous. So glad I moved. But, we just elected a liberal Governor here in Maine that will likely undo all the gains the current one made. Wouldn’t be surprised to see something like this on our ballot the next go around because Maine seems to emulate WA, CA and MA when it can. I just hope we have smarter liberals here than on the left coast...

I guess SHALL not be infringed doesn’t mean much to many people. Hoping the lawsuit prevails in overturning this unconstitutional initiative.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Guys:

The left always words initiatives and laws so vaguely that they can be interpreted any way a leftist wants them interpreted. Semi automatic can easily become 'any firearm that can be fired faster than one round a minute' for example, to a leftist or liberal. The leftists do it with intent -- to crush anyone who opposes them. Liberals do it because their brains refuse to process 'right' and 'wrong' so lying to get their way is completely fine.

It is a punitive measure which is what the leftists love because they are tyrannical. It holds honest citizens responsible if their semi auto rifle is stolen and then used in a crime. And it is a stepping stone to a requirement that all firearms of any sort be stored in a safe approved by the state. And the requirements for such a safe will be so vaguely worded that it too can be interpreted any way a leftist or liberal wants. And so on until you no longer own a firearm of any sort.

Washington is a huge state. I have driven across Washington state both north to south and east to west and it is a gigantic state. Driving through some of the smaller towns and the only conclusion anyone can get from such initiatives as 1639 is that these small towns that cover most of the state will ignore it just like they ignore all stupid measures coming out of Seattle and Tacoma.

LR55

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

This isn't too far from where I live. Now if the county sheriff would do the same thing.

REPUBLIC - The police chief of a small town in northeast Washington says he won’t be enforcing a new voter-approved gun control initiative.
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

NRA and SAF have filed suit against the - I really hesitate to call it a "law" - bill.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• biodsl
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2011

Republic, Washington is looking to become a 2nd Amendment sanctuary city.

Paul Peloquin

Comment

Working...
                        X