• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Sandy Hook families can sue gun manufacturer Remington

From the Hartford Courant, March 14th, 2019.

"State Supreme Court overturns lower court ruling,
    says Sandy Hook families can sue gun manufacturer Remington"

The Connecticut Supreme Court Thursday narrowly reversed a ruling by a lower court judge dismissing a lawsuit by the families of victims of the Sandy Hook shooting against Remington Arms Company, a…

The Connecticut State Supreme court has apparently overturned a lower court ruling, thereby clearing the way forward for families of the Sandy Hook victims to sue Remington.

While I am not certain that that particular shooting involved a Remington made AR-15, the lawsuit will almost certainly allow the litigants access to Remington's internal marketing documents.

From the article in the Courant:
    The court ruled that the Sandy Hook families should have the opportunity to prove that Remington violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA) by marketing what it knew was a weapon designed for military use to civilians such as Nancy and Adam Lanza.
    This has a very chilling effect, if you ask me. This is just one more step along the path to removing the individual responsibility, and projecting the blame onto the tool. Can you imagine, for a minute, every time someone uses a weapon of any kind in a murder, the first thing the prosecuting attorney is going to look for is the name of the weapon's manufacturer? Imagine their glee when the name turns out to be one of the biggest firearm makers in the world? "$$$ Cha-Ching! $$$"

Remington really has to appeal this to the SCOTUS.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • 37L1
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA)

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Yeah, I don't see how this is right. I hope/expect the appeal to be successful.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• tashley680
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

It should and probably will go to the Supreme Court and hopefully will set a precedent to kill this insanity once and for all!

Comment

• Keef
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

America, land of freedom and litigation!

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

A piece of metal is not the problem

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Guys.

I can't wait for people to sue truck manufacturers for making trucks that are used to run down people in terrorist attacks.

Better yet, sue the rental company that rented the truck to the terrorist. Although Ford for example can not check the background of the person who buys their truck, a rental place can surely check the background of someone by using the same system as for firearms.

Some say that vehicles are not designed to be weapons. No problem. Booze on the other hand is designed to inebriate someone so they are next if this one passes.

LR55

Comment

• mtptwo
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by tashley680 View Post
                It should and probably will go to the Supreme Court and hopefully will set a precedent to kill this insanity once and for all!
                It was the Connecticut Supreme Court that allowed the suit to move forward. Supposedly, due to a law in Connection about advertising limits or some such.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

Even though a state law, it can still be brought to the Supreme Ct b/c of the federal supremacy clause, interstate commerce clause and free speech. Question is, whether Remington has the guts to pursue the appeal.

Remington corporate HQ is in North Carolina.
                  Last edited by grayfox; 03-17-2019, 03:50 PM.
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

This should be overturned by SCOTUS if appealed. Some good material here from Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit.

JOHN HINDERAKER: Connecticut Supreme Court Makes War On Civil Rights. “The Connecticut Supreme Court’s decision is not a good faith exercise of judicial judgment. The four-judge majority engaged in political activism by issuing an anti-gun ruling that is obviously wrong under the Constitution and federal law. It will be reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court. […]
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2015

So, we can sue the manufacturer of a scalpel used by a doctor committing malpractice? Prbly not.

Still, this is nothing more than a 4-3 ruling by a gun-hating state intended to make guns illegal in this country.

Whether or not you like Trump's hair or his tweets, you have to appreciate his push to get basic law abiding judges in place.
                      If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

This is a show for purpose of harassment. Everyone involved is aware of the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act", which is Federal law. The goal is to in general harass the industry. The general attitude is that a dollar spent harassing the gun industry, is a dollar invested; and it's good pro-bono publicity as well.

And they can't lose. Because when they inevitably lose the final appeal after many hearings and years from now; they will have their headlines on how awful the gun industry is.
                        4x P100

Comment

• stanc
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by TomSawyerNW View Post
                          Whether or not you like Trump's hair or his tweets, you have to appreciate his push to get basic law abiding judges in place.
                          That's small consolation for having a President who violated the 2nd Amendment, and advocates violating the 5th Amendment.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                            That's small consolation for having a President who violated the 2nd Amendment, and advocates violating the 5th Amendment.
                            Stan:

Stated in a vacuum. The alternative would have been Hillary who would have ignored the entire Bill of Rights.

But we have gone over this a couple of times and at least once I banned you for not staying on the topic and going off in a rage about Trump.

Trump Derangement Syndrome was funny to me when it was coined. Now I realize that it is true!

In your situation, you hate Trump more than you want to be on the Grendel Forum.

Again, keep this on topic and the topic IS NOT your opinion on what parts of the Bill of Rights YOU think the President has violated. I can assure you that others disagree and this topic will degrade into another endless argument over nuances of the Constitution and American History.

Finally -- I am not inviting you to respond to this post with itemized instances where you think Trump has violated the Constitution or where I somehow misunderstood your post.

In fact, if you do so, I will throw you off the forum for a minimum of six months. I promise you this so simply stay on the topic and the topic is not Trump.

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

And, just to make sure that Stan understands my entire post, with emphasis on my last sentence. I will give him a cool down time, like I had to do to buy a revolver because my CCP had expired. So I will close this thread for two or three days. Then I will open it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X