• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by newb View Post
    I bet 10 sets of 50 push-ups they do not have the nads to stand.

I doubt any peoples' in the world will. They will only get mad and gripe while doing nothing.
    Probably, but NZ is a different culture to yours. In New Zealand (and Australia) gun ownership is a collective privilege, not an individual right. There is no 2A to embolden the far fewer citizens-per-capita who possess firearms to argue against restrictions. There is a lot less firearm owners can do except voice an opinion and vote for the most supportive political party.

Bear also in mind that NZ and Australia are less individualistic than the US (Ref: Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions). While not as collectivistic as China, NZ citizens are more comfortable subordinating individual freedoms for the greater good. I don't know any shooter in Oz or Kiwiland who does not believe firearms should be restricted in some way. There also appears to be more trust in what the government is trying to do. We have never experienced the heartache of civil war and come from the stock of subjugated convicts...Probably more used to being told what to do! That said, there will be a portion of owners who will lobby, believing if they don't the Government will go even further. Kind of like the accelerator and the brake somewhere between the two you keep to the speed limit for everyone's sake.

I think you will find NZ shooters will not complain as loudly as you think they should. The mood is, something must be done and things cannot be left unchanged to tempt a copycat. Shooters are resigned to a greater degree of restriction, plus they have no choice.

Having everyone walking around armed is never going to happen so restricting access to the types of weapon suited for mass murder is a start (semi auto and hi-cap mags). There is no greater conspiracy happening here. No X-Files, black-ops government push to disarm the public for their own nefarious plans. They just want to keep efficient killing firearms from the hands of nutters. NZ is a rural based country with a strong emphasis on outdoors and primary produce so there will be caveats and exceptions. The anti-gun lobby are not going to have it all their own way.
    Last edited by Klem; 03-24-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

I bet 10 sets of 50 push-ups they do not have the nads to stand.

I doubt any peoples' in the world will. They will only get mad and gripe while doing nothing. The governments keep doing it slowly so at best, only small groups will stand up at a time that are very easy to put down, and then the event will be used to take more of their rights away. No one will throw water on the "wicked witches of the west" in any of the "developed" nations. The good people still have too much to lose...
      I agree. This country is a prime example. Americans today tolerate government restrictions and intrusions far exceeding the comparatively paltry issues that caused the Founders to engage in armed rebellion. Anybody who would seriously advocate taking up arms against the government over a tax on tea would now be considered certifiably insane.

Originally posted by newb
      France might be the closest with the yellow vests starting to burn banks, etc.. But they haven't stormed the government buildings and thrown out the problem government officials yet. If they do, I bet again, that the military or even the UN will be sent to "force peace" aka- keep the system in power.
      Of course. Insurrection is illegal everywhere. See the "Whiskey Rebellion" and the "War for Southern Independence" for examples on how it was dealt with here.

His "admitting to get guns banned" was more the initial response he wanted. His intent was to start a civil war and get the evil rats out of power.... along with restoring the culture and people of each nation to how things were before the unwanted and forced mass immigration of "not the best"' from those various nations.
      He really wanted to restore New Zealand and Australia to how things were before the unwanted and forced immigration of convicts from Britain???

I think I want to sign up to be one of the colonizers of Mars. The psychopath megalomaniacs and the easily deceived sheep masses sure have screwed Earth up.
      LOL. Martian colonies will probably be far more restrictive than what you are likely to ever face on Earth. And since the colonists would have to live and work in pressurized habitats, it seems rather unlikely they'd be allowed to have guns.
      Last edited by stanc; 03-24-2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
        In New Zealand (and Australia) gun ownership is a collective privilege, not an individual right.
        New Zealand and Australia have it wrong. According to members of this forum whom I've been admonished know far more than I about the subject, gun ownership is not a privilege; it is an unalienable right that was bestowed upon ALL people by the Creator.

In April 1775, Americans took up arms against British authorities intent on violating the right to keep and bear arms. If Kiwis are unwilling to do whatever is necessary against similar action by their government, they have only themselves to blame for the loss of their guns.
        Last edited by stanc; 03-24-2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by stanc View Post
          Heresy! Blasphemy! Gun ownership is an unalienable right that was given to all people by the Creator.

Kiwis, come to your senses! Take up arms and overthrow your Godless government while you still can!
          Your comment presumes the majority of NZ citizens are religious relative to those in Government. Also presumes an 'us vs. them' separation of government and people. Neither presumption holds true (obviously). That relegates your comment to an inflammatory remark designed to provoke an argument. If you want a major part of this thread you can have it - I'm not going to argue with you.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Heresy! Blasphemy! Gun ownership is an unalienable right that was given to all people by the Creator.

Kiwis, come to your senses! Take up arms and overthrow your Godless government while you still can!
            Stan:

Boy, that's a stupid thing to say.

You got a day to edit your post or delete it. Your time starts -- now.

LR55

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              Stan:

Boy, that's a stupid thing to say.

You got a day to edit your post or delete it. Your time starts -- now.

LR55
              Revised.

Comment

• stanc
                Banned
                • Apr 2011

Your comment presumes the majority of NZ citizens are religious relative to those in Government. Also presumes an 'us vs. them' separation of government and people. Neither presumption holds true (obviously). That relegates your comment to an inflammatory remark designed to provoke an argument.
                1. The "Godless" part was not meant to be taken seriously.

2. The people are the government only in a pure democracy, which New Zealand is not.

3. My intent was most assuredly not to provoke an argument. I have neither the energy nor the time.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

1. The "Godless" part was not meant to be taken seriously.

2. The people are the government only in a pure democracy, which New Zealand is not.

3. My intent was most assuredly not to provoke an argument. I have neither the energy nor the time.
                  Stan:

Roger -- got it.

Thank you.

LR55

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Comment

• newb
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2015

LOL. Martian colonies will probably be far more restrictive than what you are likely to ever face on Earth. And since the colonists would have to live and work in pressurized habitats, it seems rather unlikely they'd be allowed to have guns.
                      Gotta crush my dreams of escape. Darn. Guess I better join in on the fun....

The amount of radiation shielding needed to protect humans from the levels of cosmic radiation on the journey would require a lot of energy to get the craft into space. Those funding the venture would be sending human guinea pigs so they'd probably nix the shielding to save $. Mars does not have a magnetosphere like Earth and the atmosphere is far less = bombarded with a lot of cosmic radiation and solar flares could be lethal.

Maybe they would send guns if they at least had half a heart, so people could humanely do themselves in, instead of suffering an agonizing death from early cancer and other mutated/ damaged DNA effects.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Gotta crush my dreams of escape. Darn. Guess I better join in on the fun....

The amount of radiation shielding needed to protect humans from the levels of cosmic radiation on the journey would require a lot of energy to get the craft into space. Those funding the venture would be sending human guinea pigs so they'd probably nix the shielding to save $. Mars does not have a magnetosphere like Earth and the atmosphere is far less = bombarded with a lot of cosmic radiation and solar flares could be lethal.

Maybe they would send guns if they at least had half a heart, so people could humanely do themselves in, instead of suffering an agonizing death from early cancer and other mutated/ damaged DNA effects.
                        newb:

First, you are correct in terms of radiation.

Second, you are wrong in posting this for two reasons. First, it has nothing to do with the topic and second, it is baiting Stan and I won't put up with it.

So, get it back on topic please.

LR55

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

54430477_1185778098262781_2689885043358171136_n.jpg

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Bear also in mind that NZ and Australia are less individualistic than the US (Ref: Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions).
                            I have never read Hofsted's Cultural Dimension study and will give it a study. What the real issue, "in my opinion" is the belief or even the religion of nations,"AKA cultures" that prescribe to the believe of Altruism.

Comment

• newb
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                              newb:

First, you are correct in terms of radiation.

Second, you are wrong in posting this for two reasons. First, it has nothing to do with the topic and second, it is baiting Stan and I won't put up with it.

So, get it back on topic please.

LR55
                              To both you and Stan,

Sorry if that came across wrong, it was joking with no baiting or ill-harassment intended at all. Hence the laugh/ smile face at the end.

Comment

• LR1955
                                Super Moderator
                                • Mar 2011

To both you and Stan,

Sorry if that came across wrong, it was joking with no baiting or ill-harassment intended at all. Hence the laugh/ smile face at the end.
                                newb:

Roger -- got it and thanks!

LR55

Comment

Working...
                                X