• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by just_john View Post
    If we have to force the "other side" to respect our rights under the 2nd Amendment ( or any other ) then all we have done is traded places with them.
    Perhaps, but that did not stop these folks from forcing the "other side" to respect their rights.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

No, they kept the other folks from forcing their agenda on us

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

to look a little deeper, at that time it was "outsiders" trying to force their will on us. This time, we are, ourselves", becoming divided on what constitutes a right.

A parallel is the medical world.

The media blasts us with "everything has to be surgically clean. Get a shot to kill ( oops, did I really use that word ) what ever known kind of germ and virus that you may carry. Then scrub your world with anti-bacterial whatevers and hide in a little white room so that germs can't get to you. THe other side says, go play in the dirt and develop a natural immunity. The reality is ( if Darwin was right ) that in the beginning every living thing was just a germ. If something had killed off all the germs back then, none of us would exist today. We can't kill off all the germs so we gotta learn to live with 'em. The law will never eliminate all privately held firearms so they gotta learn to live with 'em. The problem is germs keep killing people and so do firearms ( OUCH!, now I've used that word again ). This feeds the fears that the less informed are surrounded with.
        Can't claim that "common sense" will prevail as humanity seems to have lost that some generations ago. A good friend ( who's wife is a renowned sociologist ) and I were talking some months ago and these kind of issues came up. He made an interesting comment, that it is well documented in sociological studies that the level of violence, chaos and loss of order ( which is feeding the anti's ) is exactly what would be the results of overcrowding and deep urbanization. You don't hear of any incidences of mass mayhem in rural areas, only in highly congested urban environments.
        Is this fixable? Not unless a massive de-urbanization process is undertaken or some large scale natural event does it for us. Or, maybe some idiot with a bigger trigger. The other way to fix it is by putting out the word that we're not the bad guys. Defuse the "disinformation" flow. As stated above, when one of "our kind" uses a firearm as a solution, make sure the local media says so. And keep doing it. Try to get skeet clubs in the local schools. Take someone to a gun range and let 'em go with .22's. The bottom line is to eliminate the fears that folks have of firearms. Then, be elimination, it will be seen that firearms are simply a tool of choice by the bad guys.
        And, as I've stated above, I would much rather be confronted by some one with a gun than someone with bricks of C4 in a backpack, especially if I'm in a crowded place.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

No, they kept the other folks from forcing their agenda on us
          That is incorrect. Actually, the "other side" -- King George -- had been forcing his agenda on the colonies for years, until the Founding Fathers used force to stop the continued violation of what they considered to be their rights.

to look a little deeper, at that time it was "outsiders" trying to force their will on us.
          Not really. At that time, we were British colonies -- part of the British Empire -- and subjects of the King.

The King thought he had the right to force his will on his colonies, and some of the colonials thought their rights were violated by the King.

The matter was eventually settled by force of arms.

A parallel is the medical world.

Get a shot to kill what ever known kind of germ and virus that you may carry. THe other side says, go play in the dirt and develop a natural immunity.
          The reality is that some germs will kill you before you can develop a natural immunity.

We can't kill off all the germs so we gotta learn to live with 'em.
          Getting vaccinated makes that task a helluva lot easier and much less problematical.

A good friend and I were talking some months ago and these kind of issues came up. He made an interesting comment, that it is well documented in sociological studies that the level of violence, chaos and loss of order ( which is feeding the anti's ) is exactly what would be the results of overcrowding and deep urbanization. You don't hear of any incidences of mass mayhem in rural areas, only in highly congested urban environments.
          Is this fixable? Not unless a massive de-urbanization process is undertaken or some large scale natural event does it for us. Or, maybe some idiot with a bigger trigger. The other way to fix it is by putting out the word that we're not the bad guys. Defuse the "disinformation" flow. As stated above, when one of "our kind" uses a firearm as a solution, make sure the local media says so. And keep doing it. Try to get skeet clubs in the local schools. Take someone to a gun range and let 'em go with .22's. The bottom line is to eliminate the fears that folks have of firearms. Then, be elimination, it will be seen that firearms are simply a tool of choice by the bad guys.
          IMO, you're indulging in wishful thinking. For one thing, what you propose would require a level of dedication, determination, and coordination that's never been seen in the firearms community.

For another, many on the "other side" will not cooperate with the implementation of your plan. I had a relative who was very anti-gun. Feared and loathed guns. (I think his outlook may have been formed in the service, when he saw a guy use a Thompson SMG to needlessly slaughter a group of seals, just for fun.) No amount of logic or facts that I presented could change his mind, nor was I ever able to talk him into handling -- let alone shooting -- a gun.
          Last edited by stanc; 12-20-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Capt45
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2019

It's way beyond "stopping the disinformation", the media WON'T allow that tactic. IMO, we are at the point of solely being reactionary to what events take place, i.e. Virginia. Time WILL dictate what happens next.

Comment

Working...
            X