X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Maybe the Uvalde police department should hire her. She seems to know how to handle an active shooter.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Two Tone
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2022

Those WV girls!

Native West Virginian here.

National news omits anything that shows gun ownership in a good light.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

She did well.

The story did make national news, not widespread despite it not really being national news.

It also got posted to numerous primarily east coast markets, like Washington, Pittsburgh, Charleston, etc.

This sort of story isn't really national news material because not much bad happened. It is a local story. Success stories tend not to make the news news nearly as much as tragedy stories. For example, you never hear the stories of engineers that find design faults in building plans that keep a building from falling down, but you hear all about the buildings that collapse on people because of bad engineering. Simply put, blood and tragedy sells and fell good stories without a lot of blood or tragedy usually don't sell well.

On top of that, the police aren't releasing the name of the hero, probably by request of some sort. The media can't even play up the "hometown girl does good" angle and a piece about how a mild manner citizen became an unexpected hero. They have no material other than a gunman tried to shoot some people, apparently fired off a number of shots without hitting anybody, and was put down by a legally carrying female with a gun. They know he was a felon and prohibited person, but that is about the extent of the story. There is no video of the event that has been released (despite the fact it was a party and you would think people had their cameras out for various reasons).

I know we would like to see good guy/gal with gun success stories. Knife people just about never get to hear success stories about good folks with knives stopping crime, either.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Two Tone
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
          She did well.

The story did make national news, not widespread despite it not really being national news.

It also got posted to numerous primarily east coast markets, like Washington, Pittsburgh, Charleston, etc.

This sort of story isn't really national news material because not much bad happened. It is a local story. Success stories tend not to make the news news nearly as much as tragedy stories. For example, you never hear the stories of engineers that find design faults in building plans that keep a building from falling down, but you hear all about the buildings that collapse on people because of bad engineering. Simply put, blood and tragedy sells and fell good stories without a lot of blood or tragedy usually don't sell well.

On top of that, the police aren't releasing the name of the hero, probably by request of some sort. The media can't even play up the "hometown girl does good" angle and a piece about how a mild manner citizen became an unexpected hero. They have no material other than a gunman tried to shoot some people, apparently fired off a number of shots without hitting anybody, and was put down by a legally carrying female with a gun. They know he was a felon and prohibited person, but that is about the extent of the story. There is no video of the event that has been released (despite the fact it was a party and you would think people had their cameras out for various reasons).

I know we would like to see good guy/gal with gun success stories. Knife people just about never get to hear success stories about good folks with knives stopping crime, either.
          Here's what I plan to do though. Type up a congratulatory letter with an envelope and stamp attached. A cover letter to the police chief asking for the letter to be forwarded to the heroine. The letter is not sealed in the envelope, the police chief will be able to read it and see it's good-to-go. I've done this before. Read story, can't figure out how to contact the hero directly, ask local police to do so for me.

Once, about two years ago, a Good Samaritan in GA shot it out with an armed robber and ran him off. Local sheriff rewarded the hero with honorary induction to department. I couldn't figure out where the hero worked so did the above to the sheriff. Sheriff called me about a week later, thanked me for the letter, and told me he'd already forwarded it.

Comment

• slacker
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2021

WV>Texas

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Ha!

I give you Vic Stacy, Jack Wilson, Stephen Willeford.
              Kill a hog. Save the planet.
              My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• dammitman
                Warrior
                • Dec 2012

i have been led to understand there are thousands of these types of incidents that happen every year with no coverage. pitiful

Comment

Working...
                X