• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Time to get rid of your Liberty gun safes

If you have a Liberty safe, be advised that Liberty will give out a code for govt to break into it, without a warrant according to this news article.
    Liberty Safe Gave FBI Access Code to January 6 Protester's Safe (breitbart.com)
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Liberty issued a statement they complied with a legit warrant. But, hey, they could be lying.

In a sane world (we are NOT in a sane world), I have no problem with a company complying with a legit warrant.

As always in these matters, I am very slow to throw an erstwhile ally in the trash heap.

Gun rights emotions are always on a hair trigger, and betrayal provokes the strongest emotions.

However, cool heads shouldn't rush to judgment; innocent until proven guilty.

The next president, whoever he is, needs to pardon all J6ers wrongly accused or unfairly sentenced in these damn banana republic, kangaroo court, show trial, witch hunts.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Could be, I re-read the article...
      however it appears to have been a code obtained over the phone. Not exactly the same as being presented a search warrant. which is supposed to be served in person.
      It could have been legit. But I'm verrrry skeptical.
      Especially when it comes to the Sherrif of Nottingham's J6 persecutions.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
        But I'm verrrry skeptical.

Yup!
        Last edited by montana; 09-06-2023, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

There was a warrant, plain and simple. However, the warrant wasn't to Liberty. The warrant was for the belongings of the J6er. It would be like a locksmith who did your locks giving the cops access to your home (like a copy of the keys) because the cops had a warrant for your home and could not otherwise get in for some reason.

Liberty Safe, the manufacturer, clarified that it had been contacted by the FBI in late August to provide a safe's access code for a person it was investigating, with the agency giving Liberty Safe proof of a valid property search warrant of this person. The manufacturer said its policy is only to provide access codes to law enforcement if there is a warrant that grants law enforcement access to a person's property.
          So my reading of this is that there was a warrant, but Liberty was not served with a warrant. They just gave out the information because their was a warrant for a 3rd party who owned their safe. In short, if there is a warrant on you, Liberty will give our your safe information AS A MATTER OF POLICY. Liberty was not forced to give up the access codes. It is just what they do.
          Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09-09-2023, 01:14 AM.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Oryx
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2021

Why not just change your digital locks?
            Last edited by Oryx; 09-07-2023, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I remember several times when tim cook was contacted by the fibbies because they wanted to unlock an iphone, timmy said no. Maybe he has since changed his mind, but I do remember several of those instances.
              Liberty did not have to do that. Like said, it's what they choose to do.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

The correct answer is you shouldn't be using a digital lock at all.

First, system reliability: There was a post from one of the safe-makers talking about the digital vs dial, and basically there are an order of magnitude more problems with digital locks, then the mechanical dial versions.
                Second, security: With any digital system like that, the manufacture is ALWAYS going to have some sort of master-code override. That they keep super secret... until it's not.
                4x P100

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

I remember several times when tim cook was contacted by the fibbies because they wanted to unlock an iphone, timmy said no. Maybe he has since changed his mind, but I do remember several of those instances.
                  Liberty did not have to do that. Like said, it's what they choose to do.
                  They pay some guys in Isreal to do it these days. Nothing is safe, a lock of any sort is merely a speed bump. Motivation will succeed against any mechanical lockout or digital encryption.... period. No stopping it, the only option is a tamper/destroy system. Good for secrets, not so much for valuables.
                  Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-07-2023, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Fess
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                    Nothing is safe, a lock of any sort is merely a speed bump. Motivation will succeed against any mechanical lockout or digital encryption.... period.
                    Exactly... "speed bump". Federal and State law enforcement frequently deal with locked safes in criminal investigations. Remember when Mythbusters drilled a hole in the top, filled a safe with water and blew it apart with a small "depth charge"? If the agency is in a hurry, it is not that difficult to cut through a safe or simply destroy it or its contents. At least if the safe gets opened, there is a chance you will get your stuff back intact.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Fess View Post
                      Exactly... "speed bump". Federal and State law enforcement frequently deal with locked safes in criminal investigations. Remember when Mythbusters drilled a hole in the top, filled a safe with water and blew it apart with a small "depth charge"? If the agency is in a hurry, it is not that difficult to cut through a safe or simply destroy it or its contents. At least if the safe gets opened, there is a chance you will get your stuff back intact.
                      We had a safe guy come and work on a safe at out business and we asked him about breaking open safes. He explained that you can get into a lot of safes fairly quickly, but the risk is to the contents. When using grinders or a torch, he was saying, it is really easy to accidentally catch stuff on fire inside if there is a lot of paperwork and such.

Years later, I was at a gem and mineral show and a safe vendor was promoting one of their safes and had one of the safe's from their competition along side of it. He then had two teams work the safes to break inside...with sledgehammers...just using brute force. The competition safe had a basketball sized hole in it in about 15 minutes. It took 45 for his crew to open up one side of his safe and then he invited the audience to try to break open a hole elsewhere in the safe. People were pounding on it all day long. At the end of the day, they had 2 more holes in it.

What was interesting to note was that both safes have a variety of items inside including a cheapo garden vase/planter made of glass. Both vases were broken as a result of the sledgehammering.

Explosives are fastest, but most apt to cause damage to things inside.

A professional safe cracker (working the lock), depending on skill and the safe, could be in the safe in a few minutes to a few hours, but zero damage to contents.

The point here is as you suggest. Depending on how well you want to be assured of the condition of the contents, how fast you want the safe open, etc. will influence what methods you use to try to open the safe.
                      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• 37L1
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

Attached Files

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

The bud light of safe companies.
                          More like "No Liberty -- Not safe"

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Could be, I re-read the article...
                            however it appears to have been a code obtained over the phone. Not exactly the same as being presented a search warrant. which is supposed to be served in person.
                            It could have been legit. But I'm verrrry skeptical.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

FBI are praetorian guards for the criminal elite in DC, who also give free-reign to our enemies on our soil, while covering for corrupt politicians and prosecuting the innocent and whistle-blowers.

I could spend the next several days listing many cases where they purposely betrayed the Nation, resulting in the loss of hundreds of lives in the US.

Look up the Ali Mohamed case, then the 1992-1993 Al Farouq surveillance, followed by the 1993 WTC bombing facilitated by NYC Bureau field office when they cut off the informant they had inside that Mosque, who literally warned them just a few months prior that the Soviet-Afghan Mujahideen War vets were talking about blowing up buildings in NYC.

Ali Mohamed was allowed to roam the US freely, join the US Army at JFKSWCS, organize Middle Eastern terrorist cells throughout the US from the 1980s-2001, including the Mohamed Atta cell. Bureau had surveillance on him 24/7.

Look at the Sibel Edmonds case.

Then look at their recent interference with the 2016 and 2020 elections.

Bureau of Treason
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X