X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

There is a huge misnomer about homeschooling. There may be some who isolate themselves, but we didn't.

1. Homeschooling groups. Get togethers for: teaching subjects, sports, socials, awards, plays, field trips, tutoring, music, etc

2. Church groups. Interaction once or twice a week with peers

3. Boy Scouts (or Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc)

4. Sports (standard leagues that public schools participate in; some areas allow homeschoolers to participate in public school sports)

5. FFA, FHA, etc

6. JROTC (Civil Air Patrol, etc)

Our kids only had a couple of nights a week where something wasn't going on...it could be tiring. The bonus is most of these "extra-curricular" activities are with like minded folks.

Diverse enough?
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• shotgun_wedding

We homeschooled, and didn't have any trouble with the kids having enough social outlet. For extracurricular activities, we did piano lessons, martial arts, and church, among other things. 3 of our 4 kids are now black belts, 2 in college.

For the social aspect, I think many folks think that kids need to learn to deal with other kids. I don't think that is correct. Most of your life, you need to get along with other grown-ups, so learning how to do that as a kid gives you a head start in the world - IMHO.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I forgot about their tae-kwon-do lessons...
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
        X