Anyone have insights into the gun and ammo shortages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have insights into the gun and ammo shortages?

I am getting reports from all over. Most folks can not get guns or ammo. Most of the manufacturers are back ordered for nearly 9 months.

The best we can get on the situation is that there is a lot of speculators who have never owned guns now entering into the market. The manufacturers were not geared to produce at this level. Plus no one has a lot of backstock as it is a just-in-time manufacturing process. Even the distributors (wholesalers) have limited warehousing capacity.

And we are seeing problems bringing in ammo from outside of the US.

It does not help that we have some investors who are buying whole production runs of ammo for future resale. Or that DHS has been doing large purchases. In fact many police departments are having problems finding ammo. Wonder if DHS will "share"?

Any of you working inside the industry?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

If you think its bad with ammo, wait a while.

Watch what will happen with food! Does anyone wonder why FEMA is buying meals for a survivor popluation of 7 million?

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is preparing for civil unrest in surprising ways. While Americans are purchasing guns by the millions, DHS has ordered 450 million rounds of hollow point ammunition in the last 7 months. Winchester Ammunition, in 2009, was awarded a special contract to supply DHS with 200 million rounds of .40...

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

Watch what will happen with food! Does anyone wonder why FEMA is buying meals for a survivor popluation of 7 million?

http://occupycorporatism.com/dhs-pre...tention-camps/
      If you look at the parameters for the meals, they state zero trans-fats. I smell a Bloomberg :/

Comment

• Deer Hunter

It is distressing no matter how you look at it and I can see it so plainly while my neighbor sheeple and other Americans cannot. I keep hoping im wrong and then another day brings yet another transgression on our freedoms.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post

http://occupycorporatism.com/dhs-pre...tention-camps/
          Old News.. almost a year ago.

Comment

• Deer Hunter

There are plenty of current events to go around.

Comment

Trooper, I do not work in the industry, but I needed a new pocket knife last night & I always wind up looking around the nearest small town for one every time I do. I can only tell you what I witnessed last night in North/Central Michigan. The situation is Wal-Mart had one box if bulk ammo which was selling while I was looking at knives. They did not have any 9 mm ammo (another customer was asking). There are plenty of centerfire traditional hunting rifles on store shelves here. There is plenty of popular centerfire hunting ammo on shelves.

At MC sports, a medium sized sports retailer here in MI, I noticed their stock on handguns was very slim (lots of empty space in the glass shelves). Still plenty of popular hunting rifles out there such as 30/30 levers, 30-06 bolties, shotguns, etc. shotgun shells & centerfire hunting cartridges out there.

I have no interest in buying any firearms or ammo at the moment, but last I checked, ammo was a little increased in price across the board.

The largest shortage here locally is in .22LR cartridges (practically none available on shelves & whenever it comes in, it's sold immediately. Based on what I witnessed last night, I expect that is also the case for popular defensive handgun cartridges.

This has happened before to some extent, but nowhere near the level of the current situation.

For what it's worth, I agree with your assessment that there are huge increases of people never having bought guns or ammo before that are arming up now. I also believe there are people that are buying to hoard like never before.

If you are in law enforcement, be careful! I suspect there are increasing numbers of gun owners without training, which is not a safe situation by any means.

I am getting the feeling that an increasing number of citizens are arming up due to a perception that they will need to defend themselves against a real increase in tyranny.

Comment

Sorry for the long read..

Kegs comment about "increases numbers of gun owners without training" is starting to pop up here in FL. I was at Total Wine the other day (my home away from home), and there was a good old boy with a full size M&P on his hip. I just figured he was an officer. Nope, his tight shirt wasn't long enough to cover his concealed outside the waist holster. I believe that is a misdemeanor in FL, but I wasn’t about to tell him he’s flashing his piece to a hundred-plus folks.

I took an action shooting class a few weeks back. You'd think gun safety is ingrained in you if you're thinking about running w/ a firearm, within a competitive situation. Holy Hell I was wrong... These folks watched top shot and went out and purchased a basic firearm, improper rigs, and etc.; without really being comfortable with the basics. My wife went through a CCW course and she still didn’t feel comfortable and was somewhat fearful when handling her Glock.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the positive side, I love seeing all the folks in FL becoming involved with the sport and preparing for any defensive needs, which may arise. So this is what I’m doing to help.

I personally know six professional women that have gone through their CCW course and/or would like a pistol. I’ve arranged a professional USPSA to spend 3 hours with them, helping them get familiar with their guns; and I loaned a few pistols to the girls that have yet to purchase a weapon.

I never let my two daughters touch a weapon until they memorized the four key gun safety rules.

Every chance I get, I take people shooting; even folks that have a pistol but don’t seem to be die-hard shooters. I took a coworker out yesterday who recently purchased his first (Glock 19). He was frustrated that my M&P Pro was hitting center at 25yr and he was lucky to hit the target. His grip was wrong (cup & saucer), plus his Glock is 1.5” shorter than my M&P. Once I got him comfortable with his hand position and grip pressure – he was as good as me. He’s hooked! We agreed to monthly business afternoon meetings of shooting and then beers. I have folks flying in from NY next week for business. They are staying an extra day to spend an afternoon shooting steel and taking my AR’s out. It’s not something they get to experience in NY. It’s pricey but I feel like every month, I’m introducing folks to the sport properly.

Lastly, I work in a firm ($15bil) with 30,000 US employees and my role allows me to interact with thousands of folks each year. My corporate profile shows my hobby, and within informal conversations shooting tends to come up. I talk about the safety and sport of the real gun culture in America.

So I guess my point in this long rant is – we may need to step up and teach people the proper sport and safety, whenever the opportunity arise and/or we need to go out of our way to make those opportunities appear.

Comment

Weapons are around, they're just hard to find. Same with ammo and much of it is double or triple what it should be. I have gotten to the point of ordering once fired brass and taking my chances with it, just so that I can reload. Trying to find powder and primers is a real trick, when I can find it I'll buy the large size rather than 1 lb cans.

Comment

Originally posted by kegs View Post
                    Trooper, I do not work in the industry, but I needed a new pocket knife last night & I always wind up looking around the nearest small town for one every time I do. I can only tell you what I witnessed last night in North/Central Michigan. The situation is Wal-Mart had one box if bulk ammo which was selling while I was looking at knives. They did not have any 9 mm ammo (another customer was asking). There are plenty of centerfire traditional hunting rifles on store shelves here. There is plenty of popular centerfire hunting ammo on shelves.

At MC sports, a medium sized sports retailer here in MI, I noticed their stock on handguns was very slim (lots of empty space in the glass shelves). Still plenty of popular hunting rifles out there such as 30/30 levers, 30-06 bolties, shotguns, etc. shotgun shells & centerfire hunting cartridges out there.

I have no interest in buying any firearms or ammo at the moment, but last I checked, ammo was a little increased in price across the board.

The largest shortage here locally is in .22LR cartridges (practically none available on shelves & whenever it comes in, it's sold immediately. Based on what I witnessed last night, I expect that is also the case for popular defensive handgun cartridges.

This has happened before to some extent, but nowhere near the level of the current situation.

For what it's worth, I agree with your assessment that there are huge increases of people never having bought guns or ammo before that are arming up now. I also believe there are people that are buying to hoard like never before.

If you are in law enforcement, be careful! I suspect there are increasing numbers of gun owners without training, which is not a safe situation by any means.

I am getting the feeling that an increasing number of citizens are arming up due to a perception that they will need to defend themselves against a real increase in tyranny.
                    A friend who works as an engineer for Savage Arms mentioned that hunting rifles and ammunition was not in short supply. Just military ammunition (.223, .308, 9mm, plus .40/.45). Part of it is people either hoarding or speculators, often with both groups being first time buyers.

As for LEOs, my concern is if the smaller departments will be able to find ammunition. And would DHS share?

But then what if DHS decides to cancel those orders? Would that then flood the market with cheap ammo? Shortages followed by a glut would ruin many smaller gun shops.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Fillar View Post
                      So I guess my point in this long rant is – we may need to step up and teach people the proper sport and safety, whenever the opportunity arise and/or we need to go out of our way to make those opportunities appear.
                      +1
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

Originally posted by kegs View Post

I would like to add to that.

Think about what you are doing and why.

Remember your oath (as well as your ethics), which is typically something like...

"All officers, legislative, executive and judicial, before entering upon the duties of their respective officers, shall take and subscribe the following oath or
                        affirmation: I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the constitution of this state, and that I will faithfully
                        discharge the duties of the office of ______ according to the best of my ability..."

Comment

• appleseed-kdc

Actually, I'm now thinking of sending the PDF to my local sheriffs.

It might make them think and then rethink their swearing in procedures and training and evaluation of their policemens/womens knowledge of their oath.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

So maybe with the sequestration, DHS will cancel some of their ammo request and ammunition will return somewhat to normal. I can only dream...

But then I'd place an order 3x more than my usual annual consumption, all of you guys would do the same, and another shortage would follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Fillar View Post
                              So maybe with the sequestration, DHS will cancel some of their ammo request and ammunition will return somewhat to normal. I can only dream...

But then I'd place an order 3x more than my usual annual consumption, all of you guys would do the same, and another shortage would follow.
                              There is a shipment of ammunition coming in from overseas in late March. Enough to take some of the edge off of the demand.

Comment

Working...
                              X