Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are the one who indicated that some secrets are "open," but other secrets are "paranoid conspiracy theory." I only asked you to elaborate on your theory and how that relates to many expensive government agencies around the entire world.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

The connection is that we have an individual who violated policy and law by accumulating and releasing a large amount of information. On release, that information seriously damaged US policy. Each of us needs to judge whether that damage is for the good or for evil.

The part where I part company with Mr. Manning's accomplishments is the effect they had on the safety and survivability of out soldiers.

Bringing this back to the memo: I often hear the statement "If we save just one life with this policy, then it is worth implementing." The problem is that the statement is all too often used without a tally of the lives cost by implementing the policy, just those saved.

In this regard, I might put Manning's release of secrets and the objectives of the memo in the same category: "More lives lost than saved."

That makes for questionable morality in both counts.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Done! Its obvious that some of you cannot carry on civil discourse. I'm appalled at the finger pointing and ridiculous assertions of favoritism and the childish, "but you said" or "he started it"!

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          The connection is that we have an individual who violated policy and law by accumulating and releasing a large amount of information. On release, that information seriously damaged US policy. Each of us needs to judge whether that damage is for the good or for evil.

The part where I part company with Mr. Manning's accomplishments is the effect they had on the safety and survivability of out soldiers.

Bringing this back to the memo: I often hear the statement "If we save just one life with this policy, then it is worth implementing." The problem is that the statement is all too often used without a tally of the lives cost by implementing the policy, just those saved.

In this regard, I might put Manning's release of secrets and the objectives of the memo in the same category: "More lives lost than saved."

That makes for questionable morality in both counts.
          Joe:

I am the kind of guy that looks at things pretty straight forward.

The memo is an indication of an illegal and probably unconstitutional act.

Is anyone doing anything about it? I honestly don't know and would like to know.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
          X