ordinance making gun ownership mandatory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordinance making gun ownership mandatory

Best way to enforce is to get cooperation from the state -- proof of ownership of a firearm needed to obtain drivers license or state ID.

The drivers license is a privilege while gun ownership is a right and, ultimately, a civil responsibility.

This applies especially in areas of turmoil like the inner city.

Comment

Forcing people to buy guns who don't want them is just plain wrong and probably unconstitutional. It is comparable to forcing people to buy and eat spinach just because spinach is good for you. Being free is about having freedom to choose.

Comment

• vanguard138

I believe Kennesaw, GA has such an ordnance.

Comment

Originally posted by homer View Post
          Forcing people to buy guns who don't want them is just plain wrong and probably unconstitutional. It is comparable to forcing people to buy and eat spinach just because spinach is good for you. Being free is about having freedom to choose.
          There is precedent -- The Second Militia Act of 1792 required that every military eligible citizen be armed with the assault rifle of the day -- in other words, a flintlock musket, flints, and ammunition.

Per Wikipedia, the Militia Act of 1795 made the requirement permanent, with the obvious changes to required weaponry. It remained on the books until the Militia Act of 1903 which formed the National Guard.

So, if the Federal government could have a law on the books that long, it seems reasonable for local governments to have similar statutes.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vanguard138 View Post
            I believe Kennesaw, GA has such an ordnance.
            Indeed they do. But, it isn't enforced. If you want one you can have one...if not you certainly do not have to.

Comment

Its a spit in big sis's eye so I say if their little town wants it go for. I might move there... Not really but id like to...

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
                Warrior
                • Apr 2011

Kennesaw got around things by adding exemptions to the ordnance for things like religious or moral grounds. Basically, you MUST have one unless you don't want to kind of thing.

Comment

Unconstitutional to force someone to buy something? You mean like Obamacare? History repeats itself. Why couldn't gun ownership be ruled the same way?

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by kegs View Post
                    Unconstitutional to force someone to buy something? You mean like Obamacare? History repeats itself. Why couldn't gun ownership be ruled the same way?
                    I agree with that assessment.

While I agree with sentiment of the law, I don't agree with the government forcing individual citizens to do anything.

Tyranny is still tyranny, just because it suits one of our goals doesn't make it okay.

Just like you can't force freedom on a culture, you can't force the survival instinct on a individual that lacks it.

All that being said I'd fully support weapons training as part of the high school curriculum and the 5 safety rules being part of exit exams. Knowledge is power.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X