• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Sig's bickering with the BATFE

While filming last season's studio segments for "Guns & Gear" TV, SIG SAUER brought several of their new guns to the studio as highlights of their 2014 products. One caught the eye of everyone -including production crew members who normally had no interest. It was, even to a "gun person" a strange-looking thing.

So Sig comes out with this SBR in 9mm but puts a 7" muzzle brake to eliminate muzzle rise/flip.

First the concept is ridiculous for a 9mm SBR. Now it would be more justifiable if it was a .300 BO, 45 acp, 5.56. But the primary purpose for an SBR is for CQB that gives you much more firepower than a pistol. So the 7" brake defeats the purpose of having a small/short barrel for compactness sakes in that scenario.

However, is Sig really going to put something like this on the market with that intent? A gun that has a short barrel but you lose the advantage of having that short barrel by making it the same foot print as a carbine. Plus why do you need a brake on a 9mm?

Personally I think this is a test to see if they can get the courts to knockdown the ATF in their regs and judgements of new products. THey are irrational and fail to provide any substance or proof to go with their claim. To say this weapon has a suppressor when it is a completely open brake that doesn't reduce sound signature at all plus Sig shows test data to thwart that argument.

A second thought on this, is this a possible setup that could easily convert into an integral suppressor? Have a series of baffles labeled as a brake legally and then the end user can make a shroud to cover and capture the sound and suppress it to a degree.

What are your thoughts?

Not sure if you are tracking but the add-on suppressor sleeve was the whole point of the design. The intent is to eliminate the need for two stamps: one for and SBR and another for the suppressor.

The "logic" being that you have a functional Non-NFA 16" 9mm carbine while you wait on you stamp.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• maverick5582

The most interesting thing in that article is that "the BATFE has become an "out-of-control - and unnecessary agency." That describes 75% of the federal government.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by maverick5582 View Post
        The most interesting thing in that article is that "the BATFE has become an "out-of-control - and unnecessary agency." That describes 75% of the federal government.
        Only 75%? So far as I can tell, the only federal agencies still TRYING to do their jobs as envisioned in the Constitution are the ones that end in .mil!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

While there objection in this case is accurate, I find the whole hating on suppressor thing amusing I always joke that there is nothing I can do with a quiet gun that I can't do with a loud gun and a fast car...
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• COTNTOP
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

Just wondering if there is any statistics on crime rate with suppressors, excluding chicago of course.

Comment

The whole premise that suppressors and arms need to be regulated by the people who they are meant to protect us from is faulty at its base.

This case is interesting because they arbitrarily labeled Sig's MPX a suppressor, when it is not. When it was discovered that ATF had not even conducted any testing on the product with their sound measurements systems, the judge was not happy. ATF then said they need new equipment as well, citing their own statement that the equipment is not suitable for testing anymore. Sounds like their incompetence in trying to get new toys manifest itself in the form of declaring their capabilities impotent all around, both in the lab and the courtroom.

1934 NFA needs to go away. I don't care even if suppressors are the preferred instruments of choice for Chicago hit men when cleaning up the loose ends for inexperienced Senators aspiring for the Presidency. Remember that no shots were heard when Donald Young was shot in the face, head, and neck in his Chicago apartment, and a .45 ACP was used. He was a campaign HQ worker for Senator Obama, and was a little too "close" with the Senator.

If you want to start with murders that involved the use of suppressors, I would start there. Chicago PD immediately cold-cased the file with zero interest in investigating it.

If I were Sig, I would ban ATF from any of their training, services, and review contracts. That MPX looks like a great little car gun or home defense carbine, especially if it was chambered in 7.62x25.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• Butterbean
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Only 75%? So far as I can tell, the only federal agencies still TRYING to do their jobs as envisioned in the Constitution are the ones that end in .mil!
                Concur.
                Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• Keep The Change
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2013

I was unfamiliar with Sig's MPX when I found this article. But looking at it I could see where they were going with it. It's a great idea and would help the consumer save some bucks and time.

If you make your own supressor, do you have to get a NFA stamp?

I agree, the NFA crap is ridiculous. I know an ATF agent and there was an old lady who was cleaning out the attic after her husband died. She found an original "Tommy Gun" in original packaging. She had no paperwork for it and called the ATF asking what she should do.

The ATF confiscated the weapon and supposedly "Destroyed" it. How many want to bet that this in the closet or collection of somebody in the ATF office?

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Using the anti suppressor logic would be to ban automobile mufflers. Law enforcement needs to be able to hear poachers, bank robbers or other criminals coming or going from a crime. To hell with hearing protection, we shouldn't tolerate silent or stealth transportation of criminal activity. Every civilian who drives a vehicle could learn to drive with ear plugs or ear muffs. Only proper law enforcement or government officials need mufflers so they can sneak up on any criminal activity. If your not committing any crime why would you care if people can hear you driving a vehicle? If a crime occurred, people would be able to give a time and direction of the vehicle being used which would be impossible with a suppressed engine. Yes it would cut down on noise, and you wouldn't have to use hearing protection when driving or are near a road but just think of the crimes that would be solved or prevented.

Sound stupid?.........that's because it is!........ By the way, so are suppressor laws. No difference.
                    Last edited by montana; 04-25-2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• tallhorse89

Ok whose with me LRRPF52 for POTUS?

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by tallhorse89 View Post
                        Ok whose with me LRRPF52 for POTUS?
                        I already tried to motivate him to run, but he refuses to associate with people of low character.

Comment

Working...
                        X