X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FloorPoor
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2020

I'm primarily a hunter. Rock chucks and other varmints in the spring and summer, deer and elk in the fall, with the rare predator hunt in the winter. Most of my rifles are bolt action. Most of my handguns are revolvers.
    I'm not really an AR guy, but Obama convinced me I should buy one awhile back. It doesn't get shot much, but I keep it around in case shit hits the fan.
    I do go to the range once in awhile to stay tuned up with my CCW weapon, for load development, and to let the kids do some plinking. My range has a 100yd rim fire silhouette range, complete with miniature chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams. Lots of fun. It also has an 800 yard steel range. Once in awhile I'll ring some long range gongs just for fun, but I'm conservative about distances when it comes to hunting.

Comment

• Wethepeople
      Warrior
      • Jan 2020

I know, old thread. Couldn't help but read what others have done/are doing. Good read, particularly experiences with kids.

No hunters or shooters in my family growing up but remember my Dad buying a Crossman BB gun for my older brother and myself to share when I was around 10 or so. Being born in Deadwood, became interested in all the stories from old timers around town about Wild Bill and Annie Oakley.

I was around 19 when I joined a local rod and gun club here in Colorado. I bought a 20ga Ithaca and Ruger New Model Single Six for shooting trap/skeet/birds/ rabbits. Still have 'em. Started raising Labs, got addicted to field trials, upland bird hunting and waterfowl. It was my passion for the next several decades. Eventually, that lead to another passion hunting big game and some trapping.

Early 90's, met a well known 2A activist and former Libertarian candidate for gov. of Colorado, who also happened to own a gun/military surplus store and had a radio show holding politicians feet to the fire. That's when I was introduced to the AR and other military platform rifles. Worked for him part time on the side while programming CNCs for a major PC/Server/Next bench Engineering Test Device manufacturer. At that time, met a neighbor who was a hard core traditional bowhunter with several P&Y entries. Got mentored by him and didn't rifle hunt again for nearly 20 years. Now do both when I can draw tags.

First AR was a Bushy XM15-E2S Shorty AK. Wasn't happy being limited to the permanent carry handle/irons. Changed out that upper reciever with a flat top upper to run an Aimpoint T2 and folding rear irons. That was it, got bit real hard after that and began acquiring tools to do my own builds. Meantime, my son came of age and we began building together and are beginning to train his son.

Moved from suburbia to the West Slope in 2001. Reinvented a new career in oil/gas as there was little industry here that could pay the bills after trying to get by on what I could earn as an EMT for four years. Got my son in the industry and retired after running a frac crew for near a decade. Built a training range at home and got serious for a few years expanding our skills with the AR and handguns. After 3 years in retirement, got bored enough to go back to work for a small DOD contractor for two years machining parts and building the M205 tripod, M320s and M4 barrels.

I have shot ftr at the club level for around 10 years. Son, myself and friends, some former military, regularly set up tactical courses for training purposes on my property and adjoining public land. I have benefited from shooting with them and a member of the US F class team who I met thru work. Currently saving up for an f class open division rifle on a BAT action.

Being retired again (permanently this time), I RSO at the local range that hosts regional, national, international competitions. Spend as much time as I can on the LPR, reaching out to steel as far as 2000yds with an RPR in 300prc and reloading more than I would like.

Comment

• Bottomdweller
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

I guess I'd say I was an old dog, rural dweller. Marine, commercial diver and fisherman. I live on a remote island in SE Alaska. In my reloading room I open a window to a 100 yard target. With a ten minute walk I have an 800 yard bench set up. I love to shoot. I live in paradise. Only problem is I don't get to spend much time here as my job takes me away. Because of the virus though I was able to finish my bolt gun. Did a lot of shooting in past 4 months. Powder cabinet is getting low. Would like to get into some long range shooting events. I do like shooting autoloaders but my passion is bolt guns. I hate packing m-16 's and their variants. too heavy and awkward. My PDW is a silenced 10.5 Daniel Defense M4 300blk. I never buy meat. Eat Blacktail deer and Texas hogs.

Comment

• Two Tone
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2022

Been shooting for some 43 years and need to learn all I can about the AR and how to properly build 5 of them. Two will be 6.5 Grendel, a custom set I plan to build with my wife so we can both go hunting together.

Comment

Working...
          X