• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Here with 129gr ABLR speeds for the different barrel lengths:

Last edited by LRRPF52; 03-05-2024, 10:55 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jackRyan
      Bloodstained
      • May 2020

We have found that when you drop the boolit weight to say 100-110 grain, The spread increases. There seems to be a 3000 fps limit to this when a 24 inch barrel is used. I was talking with the owner of Sanders Armory, and he was the one that had me experiment with this. Instead of my 18 inch to 24 inch barrel spread in overall speed increasing 90-100 fps on average, the spread became a 210-245 fps increase. Lighter bolts increase at a faster larger rate. The BC change is very minimal in a 6.5 projectile. Has anyone else found this to be the same case. BTW I have never reached 3000 fps and am not one to push the Grendel bolt face after ruining one a while back. I am wanting a 24 inch bolt rifle, so I can push the Grendel outside the AR platform

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-06-2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• myrifle
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by jackRyan View Post
          We have found that when you drop the boolit weight to say 100-110 grain, The spread increases. There seems to be a 3000 fps limit to this when a 24 inch barrel is used. I was talking with the owner of Sanders Armory, and he was the one that had me experiment with this. Instead of my 18 inch to 24 inch barrel spread in overall speed increasing 90-100 fps on average, the spread became a 210-245 fps increase. Lighter bolts increase at a faster larger rate. The BC change is very minimal in a 6.5 projectile. Has anyone else found this to be the same case. BTW I have never reached 3000 fps and am not one to push the Grendel bolt face after ruining one a while back. I am wanting a 24 inch bolt rifle, so I can push the Grendel outside the AR platform
          To the best of my knowledge I am the only bolt grendel owner to ever safely get over the 3000fps mark, actually hitting 3300fps with a 85 grain maker trex from my cz 527 varmint grendel.

I wont give you the load details. Let me say this straight out. Give up and dont chance this idea. It's a waist of time, powder, primers,bullets and you will kill your brass life on the first or second shoot.

Dont chase it, it's not worth it, if you need over 3000fps step up too the short action rounds. The grendel just doesnt have the powder capacity vs brass thickness/strength too push it like that.

Comment

• Big_John
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2022

glad I have a 22"

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by myrifle View Post
              To the best of my knowledge I am the only bolt grendel owner to ever safely get over the 3000fps mark, actually hitting 3300fps with a 85 grain maker trex from my cz 527 varmint grendel.

I wont give you the load details. Let me say this straight out. Give up and dont chance this idea. It's a waist of time, powder, primers,bullets and you will kill your brass life on the first or second shoot.

Dont chase it, it's not worth it, if you need over 3000fps step up too the short action rounds. The Grendel just doesn't have the powder capacity vs brass thickness/strength too push it like that.
              My opinion as well. Don't try to turn a .223 into a .22-250. Recognize the Grendel for what it is: a hard hitting general purpose round with both range AND impact performance that fits into an AR15 platform. If you want to send a 6.5 mm bullet over 1000 yards at the 3000 fps class velocity, then 6.5 CM is ready when you are. Is my advice. And FWIW, is actually cheaper to feed then Grendel.

If willing to run a bolt action. The entire point: of an AR15 frame size platform isn't being utilized anyway. So, again 6.5 CM is ready when you are.

Just my highly opinionated non-humble opinion - it's OK to have fun liking stuff I don't like That said, chasing this is going to be a frustrating experience and taking things way beyond their design rating, for what again? Rarely does one need the nimble aspect of what Grendel offers when trying to shoot 1000 yards.
              Last edited by lazyengineer; 04-07-2022, 06:51 PM.
              4x P100

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jackRyan
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

Dont chase it, it's not worth it, if you need over 3000fps step up too the short action rounds. The grendel just doesnt have the powder capacity vs brass thickness/strength too push it like that.

Comment

• Big_John
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2022

Looks like 20" or 22" is the sweet spot..... Just like 20" is the sweet spot for .308 Win

I have a 22"

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jackRyan
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2020

Comment

• Zeneffect
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2020

I would think using a bolt to hit 3k would be easier than a semi-auto. Pretty sure 3k is doable with sierra 85gr and some norma 202. Interesting combination, especially in a bolt gun.

22" barrel ar15, and still way light charge.

Comment

• jackRyan
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2020

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                              I would think using a bolt to hit 3k would be easier than a semi-auto. Pretty sure 3k is doable with sierra 85gr and some norma 202. Interesting combination, especially in a bolt gun.

22" barrel ar15, and still way light charge.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X