• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Grendel Reloading Handbook Questions

I have a couple of questions.
    1. Are there any current plans for a volume 3 now that we have multiple manufactures producing Grendel bolt actions? Howa even announced a new mag that was designed for ~2.500" allowable COAL.
    2. I noticed that some of the effective range charts are different than ones that have been posted on this forum recently. Can you explain the reasoning behind this? For example, compare Table 3.1 in volume 2 to the effective range posted here. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...gth-Comparison
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

We used Hornady's stated BCs for the 123gr SST for the effective range charts. That BC seems to be a bit overstated at .510 G1, and .462 G1 is more accurate from all I've been able to gather.

Same for the 123gr AMAX, which ended up at .468 G1, which I've used to 1000yds and had elevation about dead-on.

On the other hand, their stated BC for the 129gr SST ended up being understated, with Bryan Litz showing .495 G1 vs Hornady's .485 figure.

There is also manufacturing variance to the ogives on bullets, though it has gotten more consistent with modern production methods, so you can see fluctuation of BC values based on lot # and samples within a lot as well.

For those of you who are hunting within 250yds, none of this really matters. The BC values are something those who will be pushing the edge pay attention to more, and in those cases where a majority of shots will be farther, it might have an influence on what bullet you pick.

Even with an 11-12" Grendel in the cold with some of the lower MV readings I've seen people have in the 2250fps range, you're still looking at expansion past 250yds, with over 900ft-lbs.

With a 16" barrel and 2420fps mv with the 123gr SST, you get 350yds expansion, with over 900ft-lbs of energy.

We've been talking about an update for the manufacturers, but since the manufacturing industry fluctuates so much, I wonder if a separate card with manufacturer's list would be a better approach.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Thanks for the answers.

I was wondering if it was a variance in published vs actual BC ratings that caused the change in effective range values.

Agreed, the manufacturing industry changes too quickly to constantly publish new handbooks. "Insert cards" would be easier and less expensive for everybody. However, I was thinking more of a bolt action/single shot specific volume since volume 1 and 2 focus almost exclusively on the AR15.

Currently I'm using a 16" Howa at a location to hunt up to 275-300 yards, but am scouting a couple of new locations for next year. The last bear was 265 yards and it was a complete pass through. So your most recent numbers at least appear to be reflective of field experience. The new locations are up to 400 yards and I was thinking of using a 20" Howa for them. I use your data heavily along with my range finder when considering a new location and weapon choice. 300 yards with a 16" barrel looks to be well within effective range at 300 yards, but 400 yards with a 20" barrel may be pushing it. It could be time to "step it up" to a 308 or 6.5 CM.

Thanks again for all of your work and, more importantly, sharing the results with us.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Are you hand-loading the 16" Howa? Any pics of that rifle? Sounds really handy.

You can increase the MV quite a bit with the bolt guns. A 16" bolt gun Howa Mini suppressed would be a great do-all gun.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Currently I have only used factory loads, mainly Hornady 123gr ELD-M and 123gr SST. I would like to see what they could do with hand loads though. If I can get a good 400 yard option with the 20" Howa (green one below) then I may not move up to the .308 or 6.5CM next year.

The middle (blue) rifle has a 16" barrel and is what I am using this year. The flash hider is temporary until the suppressor is released from jail. It is my "everything" rifle. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ing-quot-Rifle

Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• waccamawscout
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2016

The 16" looks to be an awesome rifle for hunting

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

A 16" bolt gun will do 2600fps with a 123gr using CFE or LVR.

You can also load the 129gr ABLR and it doesn't matter what speed you spit it at.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

I have to admit that I don't know much about the 129gr ABLR. Most places that list it in their inventory are out of stock.

The 2600fps with a 123gr bullet sounds almost too good to be true out of a 16" Grendel. I'll have to take a closer look at my reloading handbooks. Did I miss it?
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I reached that speed doing pressure ladder testing with my first 16" Grendel AR15 with 123gr A-MAX.

I would never load that for the AR15, but the bolt gun would handle it.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Another way to post info would be to have, for owners of the handbooks, a web page (part of AR15 buildbox.com, etc) they could go to, to see latest loads/ballistic data. This way you avoid the cost of printing. Post it in format of a pdf/etc that would print to the size of the handbook pages... I'm thinking 5x8?
                    They log in, browse, print and then staple into their books as desired.
                    Handbook owners get to register/password, if you want to just limit it to book owners.
                    This way you could maybe do an update every once in a while or something.
                    Just a thought...
                    Could even offer it as a nominal annual fee, idk $5-10? It would be worth it imo.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X