• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bladedancer13
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2023

Scout Rifle AR build

Looking for help on my AR build that is as close to Lt. Jeff Cooper's Scout rifle concept as possible. While I have found everything that I need to make it I am missing the mark on weight. Sadly two areas that I am running into extremely limited option are the Buttstock and the fore end. In both instances I have only found one manufacturer option that makes either one. The FAB Defense buttstock and the BLK LBL Bipod are those items.

In my rabbit hole of a search I have not yet uncovered any lighter alternatives to either of these that fit the requirements set forth in the concept build. Thus far my only deviation that I am allowing is the caliber and I am choosing the 6.5 Grendel.

Does anyone know of alternatives to either of items in question that I simiply have not found? At this point cost doesn't matter as I understand that the build is going to be very pricey and I am fully expecting an expensive rifle.

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Are you building a bolt action or AR-15 semi auto? Jeff Cooper Scout rifles were bolt action where the concept was produced by Steyr Scout Rifle and Ruger Scout rifle.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-02-2023, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Are you intending to mount a scout scope on the handguard?
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Bladedancer13
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2023

It will be an AR build. Cooper was not opposed to Semi-Auto rifles but acknowledged tge limitations in weight with that kind of weapon.

Planning on mounting one but not specifically a forward-mounted position due to not using stripper clips.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bladedancer13
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2023

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

The Fab Defense weights just over a pound. 1.01 or something from my kitchen scale. I will take a look at those receivers. The Proof barrels were already on my radar as an option.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X