Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbe1962 View Post
    Any update on availability?
    I've tested 4 different prototype designs, and am working with the manufacturer on incorporating those into production so we get as much of it right as possible in the first run. I wore the 1st prototype at BoomerShoot this weekend, and my nose got a little red, which is a lot different than last year or the year before where I was a lobster. I personally need a larger brim for my next hat that I'll be wearing, and we're trouble-shooting some of the dimensions with how the rear veil will be able to provide more coverage, while clearing the ear and muffs, and still connect to the brim.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

I tested a different prototype at Boomershoot, and mine had a stiffer brim. I almost looked like I was wearing a sun bonnet designed by a crazed Rambo!

BUT...my nose is long, and though the very end of it got a bit red, I do not have the peeling nose I expect from Boomershoot, even with sunblock on. My cheeks, and the remainder of my face was minimally impacted after spending 10+ hours in the sun.

I'll post a pic of my version if LRRPF52 agrees.

Comment

• stevegun 1

I like it, also your thoughts on the three camo patterns to start with. Let me know when you have a price.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Good idea...let me know if you decide to do solid colors.

Comment

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
            Good idea...let me know if you decide to do solid colors.
            I do have plans to do solid colors.

Comment

• Bill Alexander

How are these going.

I need to replace my range hat and would like to get one of these once they are worked out. The concept is brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
                How are these going.

I need to replace my range hat and would like to get one of these once they are worked out. The concept is brilliant
                Moving forward with production after testing in vehicles and revising the neck veil to something more breathable, but still providing sun protection. I don't have mass production capacity, so I'm at the mercy of others.

Comment

That's a slick idea, count me in as I have nothing to protect me from the sun. I like a boonie over a ball cap and one that I can wear muffs with and has a rear flap is slick.

Comment

I gathered some more information about how the hat works in an open ATV, and have made some planned changes.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

I think it needs a chin strap of some kind, and the guy on the left seems to have lost his. Just sayin'

Comment

Production units will have a chin strap, like military boonies. Here's a good article comparing several different boonie cap designs:

By MILTECHREV Editor Tom Demerly. By popular accounts the “boonie hat” or soft hat evolved from locally procured full brim fabric hats during the Vietnam Conflict beginning with the Fre…

I have many different types of boonies that I have accumulated since I was a kid. I used to cut down my boonies for Situational Awareness, then use the removed rim material to replace the webbing camouflage band with one that matches the camo of the boonie. We also had to have certain markings on our headgear in all the reconnaissance units I was in, so I did a lot of sewing of Unit SOP's, which usually included aviator's signal panel or section of VS-17 panel inside the hat, and pile tape for cat eyes and glint tape.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

I really just meant that to be funny sir. It was obv not you. : )

It looks like you have put a lot of good thought into it.

Comment

Updates coming soon. We're on our way closer to production. Need more camo pattern input on the first page, so please vote so we can get a larger sample size.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2012

You may also look at commercial cammo also. Personally like Max 1.
                              sigpic

Comment

Will buy one when they come out ,I am very fair skinned and burn. I fish a lot and hunt in the sun.keep us posted

Comment

Working...
                                X