New Electronic Ear Pro Compatible Boonie Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Electronic Ear Pro Compatible Boonie Cap

Here's the prototype for my new Electronic Hearing Protection Compatible Boonie Cap. The need for this was realized when spending all day in the sun, and I looked like someone had taken a propane torch to my face. When wearing normal boonie caps and electronic muffs, there isn't a good way to make the 2 work together.

I also incorporated a rear sun veil like an Aussie or Rhodesian bush hat for arid climates. The hat is ventilated fully above between the sweatband and the crown, and utilizes matching pile tape on top and the rear for those who need those features.

I wanted a hat with disrupted edge features, so I didn't use binding like one normally does on a hat, as I had cut down several of my boonies this way when I was in the Army. None of them ever frayed beyond the outer concentric seam on the brim.

The brim is extra wide, and the headband is adjustable by the wearer. I would like to get an idea as to how many forum members would genuinely be interested in this type of product, and camo pattern preferences. I intend to offer it initially in Multicam, A-TACS AU, and A-TACS FG.

I tested it out this past weekend during the DM course, and it worked great. The ventilation band is like an air-conditioner for your head when the breeze flows through it, so I'm looking forward to wearing this during the summer.

Multicam
    0%
    A-TACS AU (Dry Arid Region)
    0%
    A-TACS FG (Forest)
    0%
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Marpat

I like the concept.
    Last edited by txgunner00; 03-28-2013, 03:01 AM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• cbe1962
      Warrior
      • Sep 2012

Very interesting. Any idea what the cost might be?

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

I like and understand the idea, but i'm not a Boonie hat kind of guy.
        sigpic

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Sign me up!
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Very interesting. Any idea what the cost might be?
            Still working out the costs and viable margins, but it will probably be more than a standard boonie cap, as there are several more manual & machine operations than a standard sew pattern boonie, with the sun veil and ear flaps, as well as 150% more material usage.

For me, I simply need the protection from the sun and want to avoid melanoma, and still be able to hear:

* hits on steel,

* instruction or relevant conversation on the range, and

* other audible signals that will help increase overall safety.

Marpat. I like the concept.
            MARPAT Woodland or Desert?

Sign me up!
            For those interested, I will post updates as this project moves forward. I tested the 2nd prototype today out in the beautiful weather we had, and it kept my face from being burned in the slightest.

Because I live at such high altitude, and I'm of Scandinavian heritage, I'm like a coal miner's canary in this regard-an ideal test subject for the effectiveness of this hat and its ability to minimize or eliminate sunburn (which is an injury), and I spend basically all summer shooting or supporting shooting matches in field environments.

Additional photos in the OP.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

I am interested, I would also like to see a variety with regular ball type caps etc. I think with a little imagination you would have a market with different shooting disciplines. I know easier said than done but I think you have another great idea. Skin cancer sucks.

Comment

One of my friends revealed that he is a facial cancer survivor once I showed this to him. Hopefully this can help prevent melanoma, and regular burn injuries frequently experienced by those of us who spend a lot of time outdoors.

I do have several SKU's in mind for other markets.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Count me in...I'm always getting sun burned
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

BjornF16, I will be bringing some up to BoomerShoot. Orofino is at fairly high elevation as well, so sun protection is an important consideration. I know what I'll be wearing, unless it's insane weather like it was 2 years ago, with sideways-blowing snow. Those are excellent conditions to see what you and your Weapon/Ammunition/Mount/Optic/Accessory system are capable of.

Last year was gorgeous.

Comment

BjornF16, I will be bringing some boonies up to BoomerShoot. Orofino is at fairly high elevation as well, so sun protection is an important consideration. I know what I'll be wearing, unless it's insane weather like it was 2 years ago, with sideways-blowing snow. Those are excellent conditions to see what you and your Weapon/Ammunition/Mount/Optic/Accessory system are capable of.

Last year was gorgeous.

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        BjornF16, I will be bringing some boonies up to BoomerShoot. Orofino is at fairly high elevation as well, so sun protection is an important consideration. I know what I'll be wearing, unless it's insane weather like it was 2 years ago, with sideways-blowing snow. Those are excellent conditions to see what you and your Weapon/Ammunition/Mount/Optic/Accessory system are capable of.

Last year was gorgeous.
                        Well, after the rain stopped it was nice! I'm not sure I've ever seen it rain there as hard as it did Thursday putting in targets! The little bit of rain we had Friday was nothing in comparison, and Saturday was great!

Comment

• Buster
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2012

Being an OFWG and what's not turning gray is turning loose, I would definitely be interested in a product like this seeing how I prefer muffs over plugs. Pattern/color is not that big a deal, but working on an EAGLE contract as a contractor on post forbids any style baseball hats.
                          Already gotten this noggin' burned and don't want it to happen again..

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

Last year was gorgeous.
                            Well if you bring a boonie, I'll take one. Maybe one for the boy as well. I like ATACS or ATACS-FG if available
                            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• cbe1962
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2012

Any update on availability?

Comment

Working...
                              X