• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Godofallu
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

Precision Firearms- Epic Fail

I ordered a custom 6.5 Grendel from Precision Firearms in June. I was quoted 12 weeks wait at time of purchase. Price of Gun with Fluted Bartlein barrel and everything top shelf was over 2,000.

I received the gun in early January. Obviously 12 weeks turned into 28. During this time their phone number wouldn't answer and the voicemail was usually full. Emails just got blown off. It wasn't until I started making noise on social media that they bothered to communicate with me.

So the gun comes in. It missed my birthday and hunting season and Christmas ect ect. But it's in. Gun looks good and hey they threw in an extra mag and a soft case. It's something.

I go to the range and click no bang. Over and over. I make sure mag is seated properly and even try multiple mags. I try really slamming the bolt home and using forward assist each shot. Making sure bolt is closing or as closed as it can be. I try the ammo in a different gun and a second type of ammo. Nothing. Gun does not fire just a click no bang and not really even showing a primer strike. Manual extraction or ejection by running charging handle was wonky as well.

So I call them to complain and they promise to get right on it. A week later and still no reply in writing from them or shipping label.

Personally I would avoid them in the future.
  • GregP42
    Warrior
    • Mar 2015

Is there a firing pin in the bolt carrier?

Comment

• Godofallu
      Unwashed
      • Nov 2018

I was actually expecting there not to be. But there is and I don't see anything obviously wrong with the bolt. So I really don't know what is wrong beyond 40 attempts in a row to fire and click no bang. Different rounds each time.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Godofallu View Post
        I was actually expecting there not to be. But there is and I don't see anything obviously wrong with the bolt. So I really don't know what is wrong beyond 40 attempts in a row to fire and click no bang. Different rounds each time.
        What did the primers look like? Any indentation from the firing pin?

And you could eject the rounds without any problem?

Nope -- not sure what is up but this certainly doesn't sound right.

LR55

Comment

• peak98
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

GDF,

Having that second Grendel is helpful. You will be able to quickly narrow it down by swapping parts at the range.

When you say "I try the ammo in a different gun and a second type of ammo. Nothing." I assume you are saying the ammo worked fine in the second Grendel? So, one Grendel works and the other doesn't?

Quick few checks away from the Range.

With the BCG in your hand, push the bolt back into the carrier all the way. When you push the back of the firing pin is it able to protrude past the bolt face and dent a primer?

Insert the BCG into the upper with the charge handle.

With the upper separated from the lower. Turn the upper upside down so you are looking at the underneath of the BCG. Move the BCG back and forth with your fingers (not with the charge handle). It should move freely with just finger pressure. It may be a bit stiff because it's a new gun but still finger pressure will move it.
            Check the bolt is rotating as it disappears into battery.
            When you push it into battery, Is the back of the BCG absolutely flush with the back of the upper?
            Is the firing pin then free to move forward when in battery (push it with your finger - EMPTY CHAMBER, NO AMMO)?

Now, with the upper still separated and upside down manually put a live round into the chamber. Push the charge handle closed to get it out of the way. Now push the BCG with your fingers into battery. It should go all the way home with the live round in the chamber without too much resistance. A little bit at the end as the bolt rotates and the extractor slips over the case rim but nothing requiring anything more than finger pressure.
            When fully closed and with a live round in the chamber is the back of the BCG flush with the back of the upper?
            Now turn the upper on its side and use your thumb at the ejection port to push the BCG back and extract the case. Again, nothing more than gentle pressure should move it.

At the Range if one Grendel works but the other doesn't you can swap carriers and try that, then disassemble and swap pins and try that. It could also be a weak hammer spring - an easy check by swapping lowers with your second Grendel and fire a few rounds.

These are the tests AA will perform so you may as well do them before sending it back.

Last edited by Klem; 01-23-2021, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

Reloads or factory ammo?

Comment

• signguy62
                Unwashed
                • Jan 2021

This post isn't very encouraging. I just placed a barrel order.????

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by signguy62 View Post
                  I have had great success with precision firearms. Every business makes mistakes

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

I wouldn't read too much into it just yet.

This low-post member comes on, slams PF and has gone quiet. Both Bigs and I have asked him specific questions, and we are waiting. You'd think if you were so hard done by and need help that you'd monitor the thread you started?

He might have realised the firing pin was installed behind the retaining pin and forgotten about us. Who knows.

I can understand delays during Covid but not communicating with customers is a recipe for disaster. But to be fair, PF now deserves the right of reply, if they know who this guy is.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

sg:

If I wanted a new rifle, I would go with Precision.

The guy posted a very peculiar problem that most who own AR's would solve pretty easily.

We asked him a few questions and he disappeared.

I don't blame him for not wanting to respond to all the questions. Its like a guy is being interrogated by five or ten guys at once.

As for him being on the forum just to target PF, maybe but I think there are other ways that would be more effective.

So, give him a chance to respond if he wants and if not, leave him alone.

LR55

Comment

• Godofallu
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2018

Klem I appreciate the response and will try your suggestions when I get a chance. I also posted about this on Reddit and have had many people talk about how they are in the same spot as me. So far not a word in over a week from Precision Firearms.

I work in commercial loans and with round 3 of PPP loans starting I am now working crazy hours. Plus I have an 11 week old puppy which is also taking up a lot of time. I'll get to seeing if I can fix this when I can since it feels like that may be my only option.

Comment

• Godofallu
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2018

Ok so I took another look at bolt side by side with my two ar lowers. New gun has the group fit flush when unloaded and seems to slide back and forth and lock. Firing pin does pop out a tiny bit.

Comparing the two side by side I don't see really any obvious difference.

I didn't have the balls to try the live round test in my house.

I suppose I could test that and swapping BCGs or lowers at the range. It could be a weak trigger maybe? Or a bad firing pin? I doubt it though as both seem to function. I do think it has to do with lockup and not fully sealing on the rounds. That's my rookie guess.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

God,

You are perfectly safe loading a live round into the chamber at home when the upper and lower are separated. As long as nothing strikes that firing pin with a short sharp shock (hammer) there's no way it can go off. It's also a good thing to build confidence in the gun's safety features and your own ability to not to have a UD.

As for your dealings with PF, that is a separate matter. I am interested to know your story but I never take an online avatar's word for it. Guns attract a lot of egos and anti-social types, both shooters and manufacturers. The firearms industry is not an exemplar for customer service; other industries fare much better. It's always good to hear both sides of the story and not draw immediate conclusions.

In your case you've thrown a pretty damning punch which is likely to damage a retailer's reputation. Now it's PF's turn to defend themselves. If they choose not to dignify this thread with a response we cannot assume it's an admission of guilt. Plus, if you get personal the mods take their safety catches off. We don't want that. Let's at least fix your gun.
                            Last edited by Klem; 01-26-2021, 04:23 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Ok so I took another look at bolt side by side with my two ar lowers. New gun has the group fit flush when unloaded and seems to slide back and forth and lock. Firing pin does pop out a tiny bit.

Comparing the two side by side I don't see really any obvious difference.

I didn't have the balls to try the live round test in my house.

I suppose I could test that and swapping BCGs or lowers at the range. It could be a weak trigger maybe? Or a bad firing pin? I doubt it though as both seem to function. I do think it has to do with lockup and not fully sealing on the rounds. That's my rookie guess.
                              GoFa:

Not going into battery crossed my mind but you would have experienced much difficulty pulling the bolt back and ejecting the round.

You still haven't said if the primers got hit or not. The first thing a guy does when he has a failure to fire is to inspect the primer for a solid hit by the firing pin.

What did your primers look like?

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X