• Show
Clear All
  • PrecisionFirearms
    Warrior
    • Apr 2011

Precision Firearms Arion 16

Thought the Horde would like to see a recent build: Arion 16

IMG_0067.jpgIMG_0068.jpgIMG_0073.jpg

Also first of the .740 LMD Brakes in 5/8x24.

The 9/16 version will be released next week.

Precision Firearms
    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

That's sweeeet.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
      Warrior
      • Apr 2011

Note the 6.5 Grendel Marked lower!

Also we just released our Trigger guards exclusively for our lowers. Take notice to the perfect fit.

Precision Firearms
      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Yeah, I was noticing the trigger guard. Cool.

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Mark's machine work is kinda scary when you look at it. It makes you realize that someone can still be an artisan with a CNC machine, not just some monkey behind a control board punching his time clock.

Try finding any tooling marks on his receivers. The fit, feel, and finish on them is in another world compared to most of the billet receivers I have seen. I think Seekins billet receivers are one of the gold standards in the market right now...

These give Seekins a run for their money like no others I have seen. If there was a grading system for billet receivers, I would place these as "Platinum" grade. I spent some time at Mark's booth at SHOT, and the attention to detail he puts into his work is pretty rare in this industry. We hear statements like these every so often, especially in gun articles, but this is one of the few instances where the statements actually are supported by the product.

I make these statements on my own cognizance, without prompt or promise of reward. If I see something awry, I freely share it without concern for the consequences.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• RakkasanDad
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2014

That's sharp!
            NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

A little story behind the Arion. Mark at PF built this 16 inch Arion up for me during the last two hours of a show. It started life with a multi cal marked lower, as this was all he had left with him at the end of the show. Shortly after I saw the way he put this together and talked with him about it I asked him to build a 223 Wylde 16 inch Arion next. He then switched the multi cal lower to the 223 Wylde and built up the Grendel marked lower for this build. He also offered to mark the upper 6.5 Grendel, which aside from looking cool, will make it clear what upper is on what lower. (As an aside I am a bit of a novice at these AR's but I don't understand why the lower has the caliber marked on it and the uppers do not.) I don't expect to mix up the 223 Wylde with the Grendel, but... Mark took the photos the day we picked it up and then spent spent a few hours following his break in procedures and enjoying some decent weather at Peacemakers about 15 miles away from his new operation. Before we left he switched out the original unused Rainier comp for his new design, as pictured. This has the correct Grendel chamber, by the way. While there I was tempted to pick up the 24 inch Krieger upper that he has posted elsewhere but I really need to wait to do that, besides I knew I would just ask him to make a lower for it. It is a striking piece and would make a good addition.

In my brief experience the Grendel gets a fair amount of attention at the range. There are lots of 7.62s and their variants out there, but someone always asks about the Grendel after they hear it.

Two comments about the build. When first joining the upper and lower you could see a real look of satisfaction when he saw how they fit together. Even though Mark has done this many thousands of times I would guess it struck me that this was confirmation for a craftsman that all the things it took to get to that stage were worth it. I will say that both lowers and uppers fit together exactly the same way, zero play, tight pins, etc. The second one, something you cannot see in the photos, is that the Geissele trigger has been breathed upon by Mark in some way and is remarkable, but bear in mind I am far from expert.

My voyage into the Grendel world began the latter part of 2012 (you know, a little before the time the 'while we can still get them' thinking had not fully spun up yet). While at a show looking for a unique AR platform I bought an AA GSR from a local vendor. He introduced me to Mark at the PF booth while getting some help from Mark in answering my questions about optics. Mark was helpful even though it was not his deal. I next saw Mark at the NRA show in Houston while I was there for other unrelated business. I recounted the story and he told me the seller of my AR passed away a month after our deal, relaying a story about his relationship with that vendor that said something about the depth of Mark's commitment to his profession. Mark invited me to come visit his then new in MD operation. At the same show I got to talk to Bill Alexander for a few minutes at his booth. As an outsider and newcomer I found it fascinating to be able to talk directly so easily with a real creative force behind this business.

After these encounters I decided a PF would be my next choice. After reading the Forum for a while I decided to get a shorter barreled version than the GSR which is where this story picks up. I've learned a lot here and learned to have some regard for the optimization of all of the elements that make the 6.5 Grendel what it is.

Comment

Working...
              X