• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
    That's a good comment. I once heard a shooting coach say to stay hydrated, especially leading up to a shooting session. Dehydration, even mild dehydration inhibits tear production which leads to dry eyes, itchy/blinking eyes, and vision problems. Plus all the other symptoms of dehydration; headaches, feeling tired and light-headed (although to be fair, they are typical of more severe dehydration). But tired, itchy eyes...drink some more.

I keep forgetting to do all this stuff and only remember on the forum...Hopeless.
    Living in FL and being a contractor,I carry a med size cooler w/bottles of water in my truck almost every day and a towel.It’s nearing mid January and highs in the daytime are in the 80’s! It gets tough to shoot in the month of June and July ,the weather stays in the mid 90’s.I’m not a big guy who sweats a lot and after 30 minutes I start sweating all over my rifle and get dehydrated ,which is why,in those months I limit my range time.
    I like the winter months because we have a lot of days that are in the low to mid 70s ,great shooting weather.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
      I learned the hard way to not do this!

My caffeine withdrawal symptoms made my tremors significantly more pronounced. My scores were not competitive that day.

In other words, let several days or a week or so pass between caffeine and serious shooting!
      Joe:

You are correct. The day of a match is not the day to decide to stop taking in coffee, or nicotine if a guy smokes or dips.

Conversely, the day of a match or athletic event of any sort is not the day a guy who doesn't drink coffee should down a couple cups of coffee for the stimulant.

Bottom line is to take in what ever a guy is used to and if he wants to quit coffee or nicotine, choose another venue to quit.

LR55

Comment

• Johnny555
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2020

It also helps me. Very useful tip

Comment

• Zeneffect
          Chieftain
          • May 2020

I found myself staring at the ground singing a little song to get centered before the first stage today. Noticeable difference in sight picture before and after getting rid of the jitters.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
            I found myself staring at the ground singing a little song to get centered before the first stage today. Noticeable difference in sight picture before and after getting rid of the jitters.
            ZE:

More like a distractor to get your mind off of the jitters. Centering is a condition where your body and mind are in balance and ready for you to do your thing.

A decent technique to try is by using breathing to dispel anxiety and intrusive thoughts so you can center.

A few techniques depending on how much time you have. Three or four count inhale and as you inhale you visualize collecting the distractive thought like a vacuum cleaner. Three or four count hold. Three or four count exhale visualizing you exhaling the distractive thoughts. You can hold after the exhale for a three or four count as you relax and then do it another couple of times until your mind is clear and your body relaxed. Then you are open to either input the thoughts or visions you know will bring success or with a totally clear and relaxed mind and body, get your position and take your shot or shots.

Controlled breathing seems to settle down anxiety, oxygenates your system, clears out negative thoughts, and allows you to focus on your task.

Sometimes all you need once you start your shooting is a simple in for three, hold for three, out for three while you get your focus. Takes five or six seconds. Sometimes it is one controlled in and one controlled out to bring yourself back to center when speed is needed.

Staring at the ground is also good for the eyes. Looking at something dark like a dull green note pad will relax the eyes and make your centering easier.

LR-55

Comment

• Zeneffect
              Chieftain
              • May 2020

The physiological response to singing, music, chanting, etc (essentially a timing response) is extremely well documented. When you see Olympic athletes listening to music before whatever it is they are about to do (and they ALL do it) it's not just because they like music. The body subconciously is trying to sync breathing, heartbeat, it's releasing endorphins etc. Didn't have earbuds and I knew a little Otis redding. I suppose a breathing excersise is a less embarrasing but I find a song sets your mood as well.

As far as distractions? I can only keep 1 thing in my head at a time anyways, there is no physical room for distractions in that half a walnut I got going on. I'll find myself forgetting to breathe entirely after a string because I'm just holding sight picture and analyzing the shots. Brain gets stuck in shooter ready mode. Sometimes I wonder if my parents enjoyed huffing paint...
              Last edited by Zeneffect; 05-22-2022, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

The physiological response to singing, music, chanting, etc (essentially a timing response) is extremely well documented. When you see Olympic athletes listening to music before whatever it is they are about to do (and they ALL do it) it's not just because they like music. The body subconciously is trying to sync breathing, heartbeat, it's releasing endorphins etc. Didn't have earbuds and I knew a little Otis redding. I suppose a breathing excersise is a less embarrasing but I find a song sets your mood as well.

As far as distractions? I can only keep 1 thing in my head at a time anyways, there is no physical room for distractions in that half a walnut I got going on. I'll find myself forgetting to breathe entirely after a string because I'm just holding sight picture and analyzing the shots. Brain gets stuck in shooter ready mode. Sometimes I wonder if my parents enjoyed huffing paint...
                ZE:

I have seen guys listening to music via headphones at rifle matches but not too many. Am pretty sure they were doing it as a distractor or to keep their arousal level at a point where they could shoot as well as possible. Just never saw a lot doing it.

I believe it is far more common in active sports as a means for athletes to distract their attention from their perceived exertion when exercising or competing full out. Distance runners, cyclists, etc who must endure near maximum effort over a long period of time tend to try and focus on external things most of the time. Beat, rhythm etc synching with their movements etc. and music is a means for them to keep focus away from the physical pain of near max exertion.

My view of it all is that if it works, use it.

What sort of music do you listen to during your matches?

LR55

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

None during as I tend to go deaf when I'm behind a scope and its already hard enough to hear range officer/match director or the 10 min timer. Before, anything slower paced that I know the lyrics to which isn't much so usually some CCR.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

None during as I tend to go deaf when I'm behind a scope and its already hard enough to hear range officer/match director or the 10 min timer. Before, anything slower paced that I know the lyrics to which isn't much so usually some CCR.
                    He, he. Didn't mean whilst shooting!

CCR eh?

Well, you got taste -- for sure.

I don't use music before a shooting competition. Instead I use relaxation and centering techniques but that's me. However, if I am cycling or nordic skiing for time, I will run songs or tunes in my mind as an external distractor from the effort I am putting out. I will still go inside once in a while to check that everything is working in sync with everything else and may adjust pace based on the feedback I get but most of my attention is directed outward.

When shooting I have a complete external attentional focus -- sight picture and shot.

Do like CCR though. Nothing compares today.

LR-55

Comment

• CJW
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

Excellent food for thought.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                      X