6.5 Grendel VS 300 AAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by recon562001 View Post
    I have been looking at the numbers and the AAC shoots a 125 grain 7.62 projectile at 2250 FPS producing 1405 foot ponds out of a 16 inch barrel while the Grendel shoots a 123 grain at 2650 FPS producing 1917 foot pounds from a 24 inch barrel.

To me that seems that if I am using the Grendel in a 16 inch barrel that I am going to be getting about the same performance from either round. Dose that seem to be the case to any one else?
    No. Performance only appears equal superficially. Both bullets of similar weight will not have the same BC due to the difference in diameter. All else being equal, the smaller diameter bullet will have the higher BC. The higher the BC, the better the bullet will carry it's velocity. That means that the 6.5 will do better at further distances.

Comment

• jwilson1985

and the 300aac was ment to run sbr and suppressed...there is no point to have a barrel on a 300aac longer then 16"s
      Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2011, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

I'm not an expert, but I would think sectional density should be considered as well for penetration:

5.56 SD (68 grn) = .194
        300 SD (125 grn) = .188
        6.5 SD (95 grn) = .195
        6.5 SD (120 grn) = .246

What would be the optimum PDW bullet (inside 100 yds)?
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
          I'm not an expert, but I would think sectional density should be considered as well for penetration:
          I would imagine so.

Comment

...What would be the optimum PDW bullet (inside 100 yds)?
            Any of these calibers should do very well inside 100 yards.

The choice of caliber and bullet might be decided by what you might like for plinking or other informal shooting.

Informal shooting is one of the best ways to become very familiar with your firearm operation and quirks unless you have the fiscal resources and time to go through formal training and the follow-up intensive practice.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

What would be the optimum PDW bullet (inside 100 yds)?
              For a military PDW? I'd say it'd be one that has lightest weight and lowest recoil (for maximum shootability/hit probability when used by personnel who get little range time). Plus, it should be in a standard caliber. IMO, that means:

- 5.56x45 w/45-55gr bullet, if you consider a SBR to be a PDW.

- 9x19 w/90-100gr bullet, for a holsterable PDW.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Not military PDW...personal PDW.
                LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

For private use, there are too many variables to say there is one optimum PDW bullet.

The optimum bullet, caliber, and weapon would depend on an individual's personal situation.

Comment

• stanc
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2011

Anybody got a Grendel LMG, yet?

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Wow, a necked up .223 runs from the same links as a .223, who'da thunk it!

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        Wow, a necked up .223 runs from the same links as a .223, who'da thunk it!
                        Well, that's sorta the point, in the context of the thread title.

Regarding conversion of belt-fed machine guns, .300 Blackout has a decided advantage over 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

So should I convert this to .300 Blackout?

Oh wait, they can't even fill everybody else's 5.56 orders... Nevermind!

While it'd be cool, I'd much rather have mine done over in Grendel any day!!!
                          Last edited by Variable; 01-21-2012, 09:18 AM.
                          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                            While it'd be cool, I'd much rather have mine done over in Grendel any day!!!
                            Oh, if only it could be done...

I'll see if I can find my magic wand. It must be here somewhere.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                              Well, that's sorta the point, in the context of the thread title.

Regarding conversion of belt-fed machine guns, .300 Blackout has a decided advantage over 6.5 Grendel.
                              Yep, another belt fed with all the great ballistics of the 7.62x39! That's a winner, for sure! Accurate out to 150 yards or so, (well, maybe 300). LOL!

Absolutely NO advantage over 5.56 belt feds with even less effective range and ammo that costs more than twice as much, thats a breakthrough?

Two completely different animals, one a cartridge with extended range and accuracy, the other a short range cartridge that shines as a subsonic.

Comment

I stopped by DSA's booth at SHOT again yesterday and reminded them that Grendel steel case is around the corner, which will make it the most attractive caliber to do in a belt fed conversion due to cost.

.300 AAC in a SAW or Shrike?????

Comment

Working...
                                X