6.5 Grendel VS 300 AAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like rsilvers says they are very diffent calibers and both have their place. I have a couple of grendels but I am going to build a 300 AAC BLACKOUT 9" suppressed. It is a really great looking CQB rifle. That is the beauty of the platform - lots of different toys to build

By the way I did see a post saying that Alexander Arms was interested in the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2012, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Yes, here is a photo of the AA 300 BLK:

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Hee Hee, Oh you did it now.LOL!
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

I can't read the engraving on the lower...does it say ".300 BLK"?
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Bill Alexander

That rifle was a production standard upper with the Mk10 hand guard option but we did not get the lowers in time so the lower is a billet ambi. For production we will have ambi market forged lowers.

Barrels are 16" stainless and fully heavy fluted with AAC flash hider 5/8-24. The carrier is M16 style with properly staked gas key. Bolt is HP tested and MP inspected.

We spent a lot of time pondering this caliber and trying to decide if/where it would fit. There is no denying that there is great utility in this combination but one (the manufacturer) has to decide what the role is. In its own way it is like taking a 10.5" Grendel and shooting to 600 yards. Possible, fun, but not immensely practical. What we saw was the possibility for a light, low recoil hunting rifle. The context for us is really the lighter bullets in the 110 to 150 grain weight range. These are superb out to 200 yards and do not demand stupid hold overs. While lacking range over the Grendel it adds some cross section and as you get to +140 grains gives a capability that the Grendel cannot, without the brutal recoil of the Beowulf. Commensurately the gas system is a standard carbine length and is set for supersonic ammunition. It will be picky with subsonics unless used with a silencer.

My congratulations goes out to RSilvers for steering this caliber through the early stages and hope that he can keep it on track without the usual 47,000 variations. Alexander Arms for one will will use the SAAMI specification.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
              What we saw was the possibility for a light, low recoil hunting rifle. The context for us is really the lighter bullets in the 110 to 150 grain weight range. These are superb out to 200 yards and do not demand stupid hold overs. While lacking range over the Grendel it adds some cross section and as you get to +140 grains gives a capability that the Grendel cannot, without the brutal recoil of the Beowulf.

My congratulations goes out to RSilvers for steering this caliber through the early stages and hope that he can keep it on track without the usual 47,000 variations. Alexander Arms for one will will use the SAAMI specification.
              God Bless you Bill for sticking with SAAMI...and my compliments to Mr. Silvers. I already have a 10.5" BLK which I really like (as do those who I have let shoot it)...now I will have to ponder a 16".

Bill, can you shed more details on the barrel?...cut rifled?
              Last edited by BjornF16; 02-16-2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

BTW...I have a case of Hornady 300 Whisper ammo...can we start a forum area where I can complain about feeding issues?

Comment

All these cartridges have their purpose. It appears to me that ignoring the purpose behind a cartridges development, and then arguing over whether that cartridge can do some other job well, is akin to arguing about why an Indianapolis 500 car won't win at the drag strip against a fuel dragster, and then arguing over why the dragster won't win at Indy. Neither was intended for those purposes, and it is the same for many of these cartridges.

Kinda a Ford VS Chevy argument.

Comment

• jwilson1985

speaking of a 300blk if you get the chance to look at the new copy of guns and weapons , lokis 300blk is in there. Here is a link to a partial article

Comment

• So What role is the 300 AAC supposed to fill? And why or "how" is it an improvement over the 7.62x39?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                        ...why or "how" is it an improvement over the 7.62x39?
                        One, and a major reason the 5.56 is so entrenched, is the number of rounds available in the magazine. The 300 AAC is essentially a necked-up 5.56 so the cartridge base diameter is appreciably smaller than that of the 7.62X39.

So, the improvement is "getting the same performance in a smaller package." For locales where 5 rounds is the largest magazine permitted, there is no practical difference. When that limit is not present, as in LE, military, etc. the larger number of rounds can make a difference.

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                          So What role is the 300 AAC supposed to fill? And why or "how" is it an improvement over the 7.62x39?
                          Same bolt as .223
                          same magazines as .223
                          Only mod necessary is a barrel swap
                          uses the most abundant brass in the country
                          Sub-sonic loads cycle AR15 actions

Very close to or matches 7.62x39 performance in full power loads
                          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

Most abundant brass....Naw, that would be .22 LR!! LOL!!!!!

Most abundant reloadable brass? Naw, that would probably be 9mm, at least at almost every range I've been to. There are buckets of the stuff at most of them.

Most abundant reloadable centerfire rifle brass? There we go, that fits!!

Just given ya a hard time txgunner00!

Comment

• The answer is obvious - build at least one of each.

Comment

• txgunner00
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                                Most abundant brass....Naw, that would be .22 LR!! LOL!!!!!

Most abundant reloadable brass? Naw, that would probably be 9mm, at least at almost every range I've been to. There are buckets of the stuff at most of them.

Most abundant reloadable centerfire rifle brass? There we go, that fits!!

Just given ya a hard time txgunner00!
                                details, shmeatails
                                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Working...
                                X