Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armored Transport

Advise/Question 22-LR upper

I guess the title of the thread about says it all. I was looking for info. on what to completely avoid and what any of you guys would consider the "best". I was thinking of building a 10-22 but thought why bother. I already have a lower built the way I want it.......Thank's
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm a qualified AR 22 Junkie and I have three dedicated 22 uppers and a couple of conversion kits. This is a great time to be buying a 22 AR upper as there are a lot of products on the market. CMMG is probably the front runner right now and offer several options including bolt hold open magazines and different barrel lengths. The CMMG uses an Atchisson/Ciener pattern bolt as does Model 1 sales and Spikes who just recently re-entered the market. Tactical Solutions has two or three uppers but are more expensive than CMMG. Armalite supposedly is offering a copy of the CMMG with their name and DPMS just entered a new designed bolt for their dedicated 22 AR's and is very similar to the Nordic designed bolt for their uppers. Not so well known are 22 uppers offered by Joe Bob's out fitters manufactured by Kies and Center fire systems is offering a barrel bolt combo. Chiappa probably has the cheapest upper of the lot and uses a polymer upper and some short cuts in production to make their upper cheaper. Hess has a 22 upper listed from time to time on gunbroker and uses different names shipped out of Minnesota. Of all these the only two I wouldn't buy would be the Chiappa and Hess/Vulcan/Blackthorne/Velocity.

As far as best I'd lean towards CMMG and Tactical Solutions.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Definately go with the upper. I have both and the 10-22 is fun but my Model 1 upper is set up exactly like my 223 upper and makes a great trainer. Add a suppressor for the most fun. K

Comment

• Armored Transport

Thank's for the quick and VERY complete reply. Now that I have some direction I am going to get to it........I'll chime back in with the results.

Comment

If you don't go with an upper. Don't go with a conversion kit for a standard 5.56 AR. The conversion kits work great. But, the rifling in a 5.56 aren't appropriate for stabalizing a .22LR.

By the way. I like the CMMG magazines the best.

Comment

I'm a Black Dog mag fan myself. I have also tried friends AR lookalike 22lr and am not a big supporter. I like the feel and versatility of being able to swap out my 16 inch grendel upper with its 223 cousin then throw the 22lr upper on for fun. Same trigger same grip, same stock with the push of two pins. K

Comment

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
              If you don't go with an upper. Don't go with a conversion kit for a standard 5.56 AR. The conversion kits work great. But, the rifling in a 5.56 aren't appropriate for stabalizing a .22LR.

By the way. I like the CMMG magazines the best.
              I agree, go with a complete 22LR upper. Bullet dia. is different 5.56(.223), 22LR(.222) and recommended twist rate are very differnet 5.56(1-7 to 1-9 typically), 22LR(1-16).

Comment

Contact Travis at Kies Firearms.

I have seen some impressive groups come from his dedicated .22lr uppers.

Comment

• BenchRider

They don't make them anymore, but the design is excellent: A CZ V-22 dedicated AR upper.
                  Magazines can be found, but they're scarce.
                  The bolt rides on twin recoil guide rods that locate in holes in the breech face. Runs slicker than cat poo on linoleum!

Mine couldn't hit the broadside of the backstop at 100 yards, until I backed the handguard off of the upper. Somebody must've screwed it down tight and it was torquing things off.
                  Now it shoots almost as well as my Shilen Match barrel on my HEAVILY modified 10/22.

Comment

If you want an upper that will shoot as well as your Grendel then get one from Compass Lake Engineering. They are costly but will keep up with a true small bore rifle and give you the kind of feedback your really need to improve your shooting skills. I know quite a few serious competitors that have them and all agree they are the way to go. Using Wolf Match Target ammo this upper will hold 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. http://www.compasslake.com/22uppers.htm
                    Bob

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

You definitely get what you pay for in the AR 22 market, let your pocket book determine your joy or regret. Compass lake and Accuracy Speaks have great service and products if you are willing or able to afford their products. For the true competitor CL and AS are great but for the novice like me CMMG is just right.
                      Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-29-2012, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X