• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Gun Fitment

One thing that I noticed the last few years is that most guns don't fit me. My accuracy improved considerably when I started modifying the rifles to fit me.

One of my friends has always been a better shot than me. He can pick up most any factory rifle and shoot it better than I can. I've always chalked that up to him simply being a better shot, but now I'm thinking that most factory stocks are built for his size/shape and not mine. He tried shooting one of my Howa's with an AT-One stock adjusted for me the other day. He couldn't reach the trigger or get his eye down to the scope level. His elbow has a limited range of motion and the LOP was too short. His cheek bones are so low that he gets a perfect cheek weld with the riser all the way down, and I'm using medium height rings.

When I shoot one of his guns with a factory sporter stock, I feel like I'm overreaching for the trigger and the tip of my chin is just touching the comb of the stock. I'm constantly moving my head around trying to line up with the scope.

Stock fitment is often overlooked by the casual shooter and average hunter, but it makes a huge difference. I really like the looks and lines of the traditional sporter stocks, but I just can't use them very well.

So if you are just a once a year hunter, spend a little extra time and find something that fits you properly. It's worth the extra time and money.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Add a heavy hunting coat and it just makes the long stocks so much worse.
    AR15 adjustable stocks make it much better.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

It was about the time that I really started shooting ARs that I began to notice it. It was easy to adjust LOP and cheek riser height. All of the sudden, it was like "hey, I can hold this thing steady".
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Then I am like your friend. The LOP on most stocks will not adjust long enough for me. I have a MPA Competition chassis, and I have it maxed out to fit, problem is that the rods are so far out that there is flex.

My Howa in a MDT chassis with a Luth MBA fixed stock is about 1" too short. I need to switch over to the adjustable one for carbines. Heck, my Magpul PRS is on the short side maxed out.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          Then I am like your friend. The LOP on most stocks will not adjust long enough for me. I have a MPA Competition chassis, and I have it maxed out to fit, problem is that the rods are so far out that there is flex.

My Howa in a MDT chassis with a Luth MBA fixed stock is about 1" too short. I need to switch over to the adjustable one for carbines. Heck, my Magpul PRS is on the short side maxed out.
          Yea but your not normal with your captain cave man length arms sticks lol.

Me personally I learned at a young age with shotguns proper fit is very important. But for the life of me I can't stand the adjustable stocks used on ar rifles. But have been very lucky the old a2 rifle stock fits well and the magpul fixed rifle and carbine stocks have different sized buttpads on the market and I have been able to use them to adjust lop to just right.

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Sticks View Post

Dang, you are a big dude. I wish the PRS stocks were available an inch or so shorter.

Comment

Working...
            X