• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donnyzoomzoom
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2019

What buffer & spring on my build?

I am purchasing an 18" Grendel upper so I can have a light weight longer range shooter. I'm brand new here, I have much to learn.I was thinking this would use a rifle weight buffer & spring. Am I right?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

You can use either a rifle length buffer tube or carbine buffer tube and the length of the buffer tube determines which spring and buffer.

For example you can use a fixed stock with a rifle buffer tube, rifle buffer and rifle length buffer spring. You can also use a carbine length buffer tube with a butt stock of your choice. Use a carbine length spring and buffer but some people prefer to use a heavier buffer like an H-2.

If your using a suppressor I suggest you use an adjustable gas block or and adjustable bolt carrier or adjustable carrier gas key like rubber city armory.

Made from Pre-Hardened 4140: 28-32RC with radiused corners reducing sharp edges.   Enhances performance of low mass and standard mass GI systems without unnecessary dissassembly. Gas flow is adjusted and maintained at the carrier with  set screws. One to adjust gas flow and one to lock it in place. 3 1/8 screws and 2 3/16 set screws and wrench included to make necessary adjustments.   2 mounting bolts included.

The most common AR-15 6.5 Grendel barrel to be over gassed are the 18”. This can be because of oversized gas ports used by some manufacturers but is also due to dwell time on midlength gas port barrels. If you use a suppressor on an 18” barrel it adds to the dwell time and affects timing of the action. Several manufacturers are selling 18” barrels with intermediate or rifle length gas system to better balance 18” barrel.

I have an 18” midlength gas Faxon Group Buy 6.5 Grendel barrel with a fixed gas block. This gun has functioned 100% and is not over gassed. The barrel has the appropriate size gas port but I don’t use suppressors.

Several forum members like the JP silent captured spring but the are more expensive. The light weight bolt carriers should be used with adjustable gas blocks.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• snarkscarbine
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

Comment

• donnyzoomzoom
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2019

A Thanks for the input. After looking at my purchase(it hasn't arrived yet), it has a mid length gas system. From what I'm reading I am considering an adjustable stock with a heavier H2 buffer. It will be a hunting & target gun with no suppressor. Sound good so far?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by donnyzoomzoom View Post
          A Thanks for the input. After looking at my purchase(it hasn't arrived yet), it has a mid length gas system. From what I'm reading I am considering an adjustable stock with a heavier H2 buffer. It will be a hunting & target gun with no suppressor. Sound good so far?
          Sounds good so far. I might add a adjustable gas block if it doesn't come with it.

The h2 buffer will help keep it locked and run better but it might still need a lil more and a adjustable gas block will do that for you.

I would run it with the h2 and whatever gas block it comes with and if it isn't timing out right and acting a lil overpasses still you could then throw on a adjustable gas block and fix it right up.

Comment

• donnyzoomzoom
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2019

Still waiting for this upper. This barrel is a stainless 4150CMV nitrogen stress relieved, with a Type II chamber. This upper comes with a 10 rd. mag,chrome lined BCG,& mill spec charging handle for $350 & free shipping. I would like to know what 4150CMV means & if this bargain priced upper is a decent buy?

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
              Warrior
              • Dec 2018

CMV is chrome molybdenum vanadium and is a carbon steel, great stuff. Steel can't be stainless and 4150 CMV simultaneously.Either one or the other.
              Last edited by Rangerofthenorth; 01-18-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X