• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarmerDave
    Bloodstained
    • May 2020

Lets talk benches

Figured this might be the right place to ask, so here goes. If it's the wrong spot, I'll move thread.

Breaking in a new rifle over this past weekend highlighted one of the deficiencies in my equipment. Not the rifle, or me I suspect, but rather shaky surface to rest on. Looks like the rifle can shoot better than I can, and want to see exactly what it can do.

I'm now thinking about making a dedicated bench to shoot from. A quick search of the 'net, plus knowing my own skills, has me leaning toward a metal framed bench with a concrete top. I want it to be semi-mobile, but HEAVY to cut down on movement. I can move the thing around with a tractor/skidloader/forklift, so weight isn't that much of a concern. I have a pretty well equipped shop to do the metal fab, the concrete top will be new for me but have poured more than my share of flatwork so not too worried about that part either.

What are some of the better bench ideas you all have been around? Any comments on overall size for the top, height to top of surface, etc?

Thanks in advance!!
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Might be some ideas for you at this link. (gavintube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EQPOidx5Ro

Comment

• FarmerDave
      Bloodstained
      • May 2020

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
      Might be some ideas for you at this link. (gavintube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EQPOidx5Ro
      I saw that one when he posted it, thanks for the reminder! It's actually what got me thinking about a concrete top. This bench will need to be portable as I use a field lane for a shooting lane during the summer and winter, but need to remove it during harvest and planting season.

I ran across this top shape, and considering it but modify it to make it longer front to back so I can place the rifle centered on the benchtop, and I can sit behind it squared up instead of leaning over like most benches. I probably won't make an integral seat, or at least not a bench like it has.

cutoutbench2.jpg

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

One i have shot on that was very stable was all steel with Horse stall mat glued to he top, non scratch or slip surface worked well. At a range I shot at for years we put the mats on the top of the concrete bench tops.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

F0464B2F-109A-46B5-864B-EE48CBBF0DF2.jpeg

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

A several inch thick laminated wood top and some saw horses can be very stable. If you spend extra for the adjustable leg type metal horses can gain the ability to level it or gain slope for uphill/downhill.

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

I had a old, very sturdy picnic table that I cut in half. Just the right size, comfortable and can be moved by 1 person but still rock solid. Use a Caldwell The Rock Jr. rest on it, couldn't ask for better! Oh fits in the bed of a truck too, so it can be mobile and sitting at some height out of the back of a pickup.
              ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

Working...
              X