• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fess
    Warrior
    • Jun 2019

Concussive Hearing Loss

Here is an interesting article that I saw at the AccurateShooter website. As some of us get older, we become more aware of hearing loss and say to ourselves "If I had only known..."

I knew that the blast from a braked 50 BMG could do damage, but had not realized that you could lose hearing from the concussive blast of a typical firearm even if you have sufficient hearing protection. Apparently the concussive force is transmitted though the facial bones to the tiny bones in the ear. I would think that this is becoming more of an issue as there is increasing use of very short barrels and muzzle brakes. The author recommends a sound suppressor, but anything done to reduce the concussive blast, including having a longer barrel or just shooting without a muzzle brake helps.

Did you know you can damage your hearing even if you are wearing the best hearing protection available? Well, have you ever heard of concussion (or concussive) hearing loss? There is no amount of anything you can put in or over your ears to protect you from concussion loss.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Fess,

Interesting article; one guy's experience with brakes in PRS matches. He finishes by recommending suppressors.

Here's a peer reviewed academeic paper in the Journal of Audiology advocating hearing protection with suppressors
    International Journal of Audiology. ISSN: 1499-2027 (Print) 1708-8186 (Online) Journal homepage: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/iija20. The reduction of gunshot noise and auditory risk through the use of firearm suppressors and lowvelocity ammunition William J. Murphy, Gregory A. Flamme, Adam R. ...

Back in the 80's it was known that hearing loss occurs through the bones of the head. Our military started to encourage helmets during indoor shooting, along with 'double ears' (plugs and muffs). Long gun shooters don't use helmets however and over years of micro shocks it adds up.

Comment

• Fess
      Warrior
      • Jun 2019

There is now a second thread on this topic: https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...af-gt-Say-what

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Fess View Post
        Here is an interesting article that I saw at the AccurateShooter website. As some of us get older, we become more aware of hearing loss and say to ourselves "If I had only known..."

I knew that the blast from a braked 50 BMG could do damage, but had not realized that you could lose hearing from the concussive blast of a typical firearm even if you have sufficient hearing protection. Apparently the concussive force is transmitted though the facial bones to the tiny bones in the ear. I would think that this is becoming more of an issue as there is increasing use of very short barrels and muzzle brakes. The author recommends a sound suppressor, but anything done to reduce the concussive blast, including having a longer barrel or just shooting without a muzzle brake helps.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-hearing-loss/
        Fess:

When I had to spend time around Barrets, I started wearing a shemagh with Oakleys to protect my face from the blast from those things. Or pull a hood over as much of my face as possible. Even when it was hot out. I found that protecting my entire face from that blast and the crap they would throw back was super important to keep from getting punch drunk and or sick. I have seen some pretty tough guys vomiting after being exposed to that overpressure for a while.

Now, an M-2? No need other than double ear pro and eye pro. Blast goes out from the barrel and not back. Can hang around them for quite a while without a problem.

LR55

Comment

Working...
        X