• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

Using QuickTarget

I moved this subject from another thread so that you can post graphs and discuss QuickTarget and keep the other thread on topic.

I am going to go thru this as if you have never used QT so bear with me here:

1. Set up your first cartridge load in QuickLoad(QL), as QL has to be open for QuickTarget(QT) to work and transfer data.

2. Go to QT and click on the button that says "Receive Data from Quickload". This will open up the Graph window and plot your first cartridge.

2a. In QT Unlimited, to transfer the data from QL, you use the button that has the arrow pointing to it. Everything else is the same as QT.

https://

3. Right click on the graph of the first plot and click on "Save as Reference". This locks the first plot so you can add the next cartridge plot from QL.

4. Go back to QL and set up your next cartridge.

5. Go back to QT and click on "Receive Data from Quickload" again. This will add your second plot to the first. I have been able to add 3 different cartridges to the plot so far. I do not know how many you can plot but I know 3 for sure. If you want to add a 3rd cartridge or load then right click on the graph again and choose "Set Reference" again and it will keep the 2 cartridges plotted. Then you go back to QL and make another cartridge and then go back to QT and start at Step 2 again.

6. When you are done and want to make a different plot then right click on the plot graph again and select "Delete Reference". The graph will leave the last data that is in the "Table Setup" window. If you want to start a new graph just go back to QL and setup another load and cartridge and then go back to QT and start at Step 2 again. This will start a new plotted graph.

I am going to include how to change temperature and elevation in case anyone hasn't done that before and wants to know how.

On the below Table Graph window in QT is a button labeled "New ATMO Data". Click on that button and the window to the right will pop up. There are 4 radio buttons to choose from and I use the bottom selection so that it will use my temp and elevation in the calculations. The other settings in the popup are pretty self explantory. Then hit "Apply and Exit" and it will calculate the graph with your settings. You can change the temp to either higher or lower and it will update the plotted cartridges with the new data you entered.

There is another option under "Copy To" at the top of the main window that lets you put it in Excel. I don't have Excel so it wouldn't let me use that option. I wanted to modify the lines on the graph to make them more ledgeable. I did use the "Copy To>Clipboard" and it copies the graph to my Calc program or to the Writer program in LibreOffice. Doesn't let you modify anything though.

That should just about do it. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by jasper2408; 05-10-2022, 01:20 PM.
  • jasper2408
    Warrior
    • Jan 2019

I have done some more digging and I did not realize that there is also an included program with Quickload called QuickTarget Unlimited. I went into it to see what I could do with the graph and it will let you plot Energy and Velocity but not in the same graph as far as I can tell. You can just click on Velocity or Energy under Option on the main menu heading. I was able to plot 3 different bullets(calibers) that you set up in Quickload first then transfer them over to the QT Unlimited program by doing the same "Set Reference" as you do in QT. I was also able to change the colors of the plot lines.

Here is a graph of 3 loads using different calibers and different bullet weights showing the energy at yardage.

Here is the velocity graph for the same 3 calibers. Not too sure about the accuracy of this chart.

Last edited by jasper2408; 05-02-2022, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Again, thanks for your work on this, jasper. This is all about starting velocities The data for any of these is going to look different based up the barrel length. The 6ARC and it's 105 BTHP from an 18" barrel is probably going to have a 150fps head start over the 175gr SMK from a 20" barrel.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• jasper2408
        Warrior
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
        Again, thanks for your work on this, jasper. This is all about starting velocities The data for any of these is going to look different based up the barrel length. The 6ARC and it's 105 BTHP from an 18" barrel is probably going to have a 150fps head start over the 175gr SMK from a 20" barrel.
        I used info from the Hornady manual that shows 2550fps max for the 105gr. That might be low as I never checked any Hodgdon data or own a 6ARC.

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Well, I might be confusing reloading velocities with factory ammo speeds. I've never shot or chronographed Hornady Black for example, just my loads which average right around 2550 in my 16" barrel. Regardless, I think you've demonstrated very well the potential of each of these rounds.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• jasper2408
            Warrior
            • Jan 2019

Yep it is nice to see some comparisons. Now how accurate they are is to be seen. Off to read the manual again.

Comment

• jasper2408
              Warrior
              • Jan 2019

I emailed the sellers of QuickLoad yesterday about the ability to change colors in the QT program and they tried to do it themselves and couldn't so thats that. I am hoping they will fix it in the next version. I am able to do it in the QT Unlimited program so I am using it for my comparisons. You can compare up to 5 different bullets(calibers) on one graph. I thought that the velocities that showed were not right but I compared the graph velocities to my Strelok Pro and they were very close so I will keep posting the velocities that I get in QTU.

Just because it says that a bullet is getting a certain velocity at a certain yardage on the graph does not mean that you will get that velocity out of your gun. I used data out of the manufacturing manual for 24" barrels for the 100, 129, 85, and 90gr bullets and 20" on the 123gr.

I used 420ft as elevation and 70 degrees for the temp.

Disclaimer: This data is calculated from Quickload so I cannot attest to the accuray of it. All of the loads I used for the graphs are max loads according to the manuals that I got them from so don't start at these loads. Work your way up from a lower load first. Please be safe.

Here is a graph that I made up today with 5 different bullets for the 6.5Grendel. I used the max velocities for each load according to the bullet makers loading manual.

Here is the Energy graph for the above bullets.

Comment

Working...
              X