X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Reading the wind, a new look.

Over the past year or two, I've had many people from the forum PM or email me about wind reading. I started working on a decent reply, something more lengthy than, "watch the grass and trees!" about a year ago, but I wasn't satisfied with it until some recent reading helped clarify what I do, and helped me formulate a better reply. Here is that extended article. Any errors are mine. Before we start, I should point out the Jeff Hoffman of Black Hills Ammunition developed the actual formula and deserves credit for it.

The Big Mystery
    Reading the Wind and Successful LongRange Shooting
    Part 1

Since beginning my long range shooting career, I have found that there are really only a few significant variables in successful shooting. Unfortunately, those variables are sometimes hard to define, and sometimes even harder to control.

My journey has led me to realize that the largest obstacle to successful long range shooting is my ability to read the wind.

A bullet fired from a rifle moves in three dimensions; longitudinally (from you to the target), laterally, (the effect of the wind), and vertically (the effect of gravity). Since you have fired the bullet, we’ll assume that you have controlled the longitudinal travel to the best of your ability. Since gravity always is in place, and with very few exceptions always has the same force on an object, (remember the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Galileo from grade school?) we’ll assume that you have correctly compensated for the drop of the bullet.

That leaves us with lateral movement, or the effect that wind will have on your bullet.

Over the years I have read dozens, if not hundreds, of articles on windreading, and I’ve learned tremendous amounts about if from listening to masters like Gene Econ, Monte Milanuk, and Paul Scott. I’ve made the take home reading from this paper in an italicized font, so you can discard all the rest if you like and just read the take home points!

The first thing I learned was to estimate the wind speed by watching natural wind gauges. Watch the movement of trees and grass.

Figure the wind to be 1 to 3 miles per hour if smoke moves laterally, approximately two to four miles per hour if the long grass moves occasionally, approximatelyf ive to nine miles per hour if the grass leans and smaller tree limbs move, approximately 10 to 14 miles per hour if thicker tree limbs move and 15 to 20 miles per hour if trees sway and the grass constantly moves.

Those are great approximate indicators, but they only are part of the story. Wind direction is the other factor. It’s easy to calculate wind effect if it is at 90 degrees from your bullets line of flight, but what about if its 45 degrees, or 30 degrees?

A 90 degree wind is a full value wind, meaning that it will affect your bulletmore than any other, so if you know that there is a 10 MPH wind at 90 degrees affecting your .308 bullet, you will know it drifts less than an inch at 100yards, 22 inches at 500 yards, and almost 10 FEET at 1000 yards.

But what about winds that aren’t directly perpendicular, how do you calculate those?

Fancy calculators, cell phones, and ballistics programs will do it; put in good data, and they’ll pop it right out, but those are difficult to handle in the field, take time, and are expensive. Isn’t there a cheaper way?

Fortunately, there is, and with a little practice, you can master it. (Hey, I didn’t say itwas going to be easy! Shoot more, and practice this while you do it!) So here you go!

There are just a few things you need to memorize, and a few things you can calculate in your head, and 3 Basic Steps:

1. Make you initial range calculation in hundreds of yards, and subtract 1.

2. Adjust for actual wind speed.

3. Adjust for actual wind value.

See, I said it was basic, right?

To accurately compensate for wind speed, you have to KNOW wind speed. You can use that information I gave you earlier to approximate it, and plug one of those numbers in, or you can get accurate numbers by buying a Kestrel or similar anemometer. (That’s the fancy word for a wind speed gauge! See you even get some vocabulary education on the Grendel Forum!) You can buy these for less than 100 bucks now, so it’s really a little piece of what shooting costs. I like Skywatch anemometers (made by JDC) because they are omnidirectional and you don’t have to worry that you are perfectly facing the wind to get a good reading, but Kestrel and other unidirectional wind meters work fine with a little more effort on your part.

Practicing with your anemometer and judging wind speed will allow you to develop a more accurate wind estimation than the general information I gave you above, and you will soon find you are within a mile or two of actual wind speed without having to look at the gauge. That’s a big step, because it speeds up the process!

Then determine wind value:

90 degrees is full value
    65 degrees is 9/10 value

Lots of references will say that a 45 degree wind is half value, but we’ve compensated a little for that with the initial range compensation figure (subtracting one from the actual range) and these numbers work more effectively. (Trust me here! It works!)
    Last edited by bwaites; 05-10-2012, 02:46 AM.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

The Big Mystery
    Reading the Wind and Successful LongRange Shooting
    Part 2

Ok, so let’s go back and figure it out. This formula is based on a 175 grain .308 bullet at 2700 FPS, and works fine for 168’s as well, I’ll give you some compensation factors later if you shoot something different.

Let’s use a 700 yard target (700 yards is the longest target at Boomershoot, and since we just finished that, it makes the easiest reading!)

Using a 5 MPH wind from 90 degrees, a fairly common angle for us there.

Calculation:
    1)700 yards: 7 – 1 is 6.
    2)5 MPH wind, since full value is 10, that’s half of full value or 6/2 = 3
    3)90 degrees is full value. So 1. 3 x 1 = 3 MOA

3x1 gives us 3 MOA. Compare that with JBM ballistics computer in the same scenario,where we get exactly 3-3.5 MOA, depending on bullet velocity! Awesome!

The method does tend to give us a little bit of cheat on the upper side of value, meaning it tends to overestimate the value a tiny bit, but in my experience, most of us over estimate the actual wind speed a little bit, too, so it works very well in the field.

One more scenario:
    500 yards
    15 MPH wind
    45 degrees

1)500 yards: 5 – 1 is 4.
    2)15 MPH is 1.5 times full value so 4 X 1.5 = 6
    3)

Checked against JBM again, which generates exactly 4.5 MOA for a bullet at 2700 FPS!!

But what about other calibers? I did promise a little help there.

Let’s say you shoot a .300 Win Mag:

Simply add a fourth step, and for magnums multiply the result of step 3 by .7, for.338 Lapua mags use .6, and for .50 BMG use .4.

What about smaller calibers like the 5.56 with 77 grain bullets? Well, I’d ask, “Why the heck are you trying to go long with a tool not suited for the job?” Just kidding! Out to about 600 yards you can still use the formula, but in step one simply don’t subtract the 1 from your yardage estimation.

You can use the formula with just about any caliber, but you might want to run some numbers in JBM, compare them against the .308 numbers, and figure your own compensation step for step 4.

There is one last issue that we should address, and that is heat and altitude.

The formula is based on normal atmospheric conditions. Say Sea Level to 4000 feet or so, and zero to 90 degrees or so. If you are higher than that, or warmer,you can try adding a fudge factor in step one, and use Range – 2 instead of Range – 1 .

Remember what I said back at the beginning about having read dozens (hundreds?) of articles on wind reading? There are so many because this isn’t an exact science, winds are tough to solve, and if you could solve them, the conditions would change before you had a chance to implement them! Practice with the formula will make you better, though!

Finally, I’m not smart enough to have figured out this formula all by myself. Jeff Hoffman, the owner of Black Hills ammunition came up with the formula, and must be credited with it, it isn’t widely used to my knowledge, but it is the best formula and explanation I’ve found.
    Last edited by bwaites; 05-09-2012, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Awsome info... Thank you!

Comment

Where would the 6.5 Grendel fall into that calculation? Same as the 308 calculations?

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

right click- save

Thanks!
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Thanks Bill,

That's a nice concise summary and will help a lot of us!

Comment

I saw a similar write up in the new sniper mag from either this month or last month. Great info.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Thanks guys! I should point out that there is more than one way to skin the cat in this regard. This method was really more estimation and experience on my part until I came across the formula Jeff Hoffman uses a while back. One of the reasons I hadn't finished it was that I wanted a more mathematical approach to it, and Jeff's formula was the final block that let me build my article. He deserves a big part of the credit.

LR1955 teaches a slightly different method that is also effective, and I hope that he will find time to add his method and thoughts.

kamrr4437, that article was written by Jeff Hoffman, and he really is an expert. He's one of the people, along with the ones I mentioned, who have helped shape the way I try to deal with wind.

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mikenyE9 View Post
                  Where would the 6.5 Grendel fall into that calculation? Same as the 308 calculations?
                  If you are using one of the 123 grain bullets, (the AMAX, Scenar, or SMK) and muzzle velocity is 2600 FPS or better, than the numbers for .308 work fine. If you are using another bullet, or slower velocities from a shorter barrel, you might want to use a step 4 and multiply x 1.1.

Comment

What i like about the info is that its complicated but yet made so simple with the formula. Its just good stuff.

Comment

Great article and explanation!

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Good stuff Bill, thanks!
                        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          Thanks guys! I should point out that there is more than one way to skin the cat in this regard. This method was really more estimation and experience on my part until I came across the formula Jeff Hoffman uses a while back. One of the reasons I hadn't finished it was that I wanted a more mathematical approach to it, and Jeff's formula was the final block that let me build my article. He deserves a big part of the credit.

LR1955 teaches a slightly different method that is also effective, and I hope that he will find time to add his method and thoughts.

kamrr4437, that article was written by Jeff Hoffman, and he really is an expert. He's one of the people, along with the ones I mentioned, who have helped shape the way I try to deal with wind.
                          Bill:

OK, here it is.

I will use bands of distance with one correction in minutes per band. How detailed you want to go depends on how much your can remember and how fast you can do the simple math. This does pretty good in terms of shooting actiities such as High Power, medium and big game hunting, etc where your success criteria is plus or minus one minute.

I normally start people new to wind doping with 1/4 minute per each MPH of full value to 300, 1/2 minute per mph of full value from 300 - 800. Then one minute from 800 - 1000. 1/4, 1/2, and 1 is easy for people to remember and it will hold the two minute standard I defined for success. This can and normally does evolve into shorter range bands with more precise corrections but I have never seen it go past four range bands as people forget if they get past 'three' of anything.

I go with 1/2, full value, and no value winds for the most part. Easy to remember and easy to use.

No one I know of can estimate the angle of a wind flag (for value) to within + - about 20 degrees unless they are standing above the flag, looking down, and without a calculator, they will never be able to add, subtract, multiply or divide by anything other than simple 1/4, 1/2 or 1. Few people can estimate range by eye to within + - 20 percent of the true range and if they come up with some fraction of 100, they will round up or down to the nearest 1/2. So, it is somewhat futile to spend the time trying to estimate an exact distance as the mind will question the result because it isn't sure. When the mind questions the result, its focus is on that step when it should be focused on the next step. So, folks get stuck and by doing so, they forget a step or make a mistake. I accept that folks will be less prone to mistakes if they do not question their decisions.

So, the person has to decide which range band his target lies in, then convert wind direction and speed to a full value equivalent, then go with 1/4, 1/2 or 1 minute per MPH of full value.

Or, someone can run his data out and figure it out for his specific cartridge. The key to success will be keeping factors down to threes. People can remember three things easily but once you start going past three things, they are far more prone to forget when they get put under stress. Keep the steps and variables simple to remember and the people will be able to do them very quickly and with confidence that they do have a solution.

LR1955
                          Last edited by LR1955; 05-10-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X