Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Need BC and Velocity of M193 & M855

Closest I have found is .243 bc & ~3100 fps for M193 and .304 bc & ~900 fps for M855

Can anyone help nail down exact numbers? 16" bbl, G1 model.

-mm

Same info ive seen is .304 ballistic bc and 2900 fps out of a 16 inch barrel for the M855. Not sure on the 193.

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
      Same info ive seen is .304 ballistic bc and 2900 fps out of a 16 inch barrel for the M855. Not sure on the 193.
      I just noticed that I left off the "2". 900 fps is more like a .45.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by michaelmew View Post
        Closest I have found is .243 bc & ~3100 fps for M193 and .304 bc & ~900 fps for M855

Can anyone help nail down exact numbers? 16" bbl, G1 model.

-mm
        MM:

You are close enough for any practical value.

I would suggest that if you intend on shooting it past about 300 yards that you actually shoot it and not trust a read out from any ballistics program. Normally I would say 500 yards but 855 and 193 can do strange things past 300. You will also find that the velocity can differ rather dramatically from what DoD has posted so it is also a good idea to chronograph it by lot.

LR1955

Comment

• michaelmew

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
          MM:

You are close enough for any practical value.

I would suggest that if you intend on shooting it past about 300 yards that you actually shoot it and not trust a read out from any ballistics program. Normally I would say 500 yards but 855 and 193 can do strange things past 300. You will also find that the velocity can differ rather dramatically from what DoD has posted so it is also a good idea to chronograph it by lot.

LR1955
          Thanks for the advice. This is actually for my Dad's rifle. He can't see that far, so there is 0 chance he will shoot it to extended ranges. I am trying to illustrate Max PBR. Talking about drop and drift and etc is great, but some of us are visual learners. Ideally, we would put rounds down range and see what happens, but that isn't always possible. So I am putting together a visual aid to project those "real world" results.

I don't have the chrony yet, but it is toggling for top billing on my list of priorities. The other item at the top is a spotting scope. Walking down 200+ yards to see exactly where your group is, is a beating. Oh yeah, and did I mention it was 100 degrees. Needless to say, the shooting did not last very long.

-mm

Comment

Working...
          X