• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babaganoush
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Break or Brake

Brake
    As a noun, brake most commonly refers to a device for slowing down or stopping the movement of a vehicle or machine. (This includes devices fastened to the muzzles of rifles). The verb brake means to slow down or stop with a brake.

Break
    As a noun, break has many meanings, including a fracture, an interruption, a pause, a sudden move, an escape, and an opportunity.

The irregular verb break also has many meanings. The most common ones include to split or cut open, to make unusable, and to interrupt.

Lastly, there is the compound word, break-in
    "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that stuff like that bothers them.

Comment

You guys need to shoot more! Lol

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
        You guys need to shoot more! Lol
        Give it a break, Ricsmall. It appears you could stand to follow your own advice.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• explorecaves

Comment

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            Give it a break, Ricsmall. It appears you could stand to follow your own advice.
            Did you not notice the LOL? Thanks for the advice but I got my trigger time in this weekend.

Richard

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
              Did you not notice the LOL? Thanks for the advice but I got my trigger time in this weekend.

Richard
              Did you not notice my play on words? Sorry, if my sense of humor was a tad dry. And yes, I got in my therapeutic trigger time in, as well.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

You guys done?

How did you shoot this weekend? Anyone compete?

LR1955

Comment

Yes sir, I think we got it all out. I was shooting a .458 socom from 100 to 400 yards. My cousin has the pics on his phone, I'll try and get him to send them. The gun is funny, at 100 you're about 1.25 Moa, past that out to 400 it's a little less than Moa. All this is only over two range sessions and about 150 rounds, but consistently so.

Richard

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

Gee, with a.458 or a Beo, 1MOA means jack! When the bullets .5 MOA at 100, close is good enough!

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoush View Post
                      I know this sounds picky, but the unintentional misuse of these words has been having an accumulative effect on me. It appears that people on the board have been politely ignoring the occasional misuse, and that’s fine. But for those who really don’t know the distinction, and would like to, here it is:

Brake
                      As a noun, brake most commonly refers to a device for slowing down or stopping the movement of a vehicle or machine. (This includes devices fastened to the muzzles of rifles). The verb brake means to slow down or stop with a brake.

Break
                      As a noun, break has many meanings, including a fracture, an interruption, a pause, a sudden move, an escape, and an opportunity.

The irregular verb break also has many meanings. The most common ones include to split or cut open, to make unusable, and to interrupt.

Lastly, there is the compound word, break-in, which refers to the initial period of mechanical operation during which working parts begin to function properly.

Now that that is off my chest, I think I’ll hit the brakes on this thread and go take a break.
                      You obviously weren't educated in Albuquerque.

Comment

• babaganoush
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                        you obviously weren't educated in albuquerque.
                        Yep - DNHS '73. You know - before they socialized education.
                        "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                          You guys done?

How did you shoot this weekend? Anyone compete?

LR1955
                          My daughter and I practiced yesterday with our handguns and AR-15's till we got swarmed and stung by aggressive yellow jackets. Having a yellow jacket crawl on your face while focusing on your shot is good practice on keeping ones focus. Well that's what I told my daughter but I don't think she bought into it.

Comment

• wheelguner
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2011

I understand! My pet peeve is calling a magazine a clip. The M1 Garand uses a clip, it's successor the M14 uses a magazine. I'm not sure why "little things" can rub us the wrong way. Pogo said "I have seen the enemy and he is US".

Comment

Just assume everyone is typing from their phone and auto-correct has taken control.

Comment

Working...
                              X