• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LimaOscarAlpha
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2018

Steel targets for ready ups

So I recently(by that I mean bought a few months ago) purchased a steel spinner 4 inch dis on the bottom 2-3 inch top for ready ups, Do all double blast if you courios, after 25 rounds of 110 spire points, 17gr h110 I found the support had been impacted by my poor marksmanship total of 3 impacts. Now this target is rated to handle up to 30-06 my little 300 sac blk is no where near the high end of that spectrum, anywaysthe vertical support bent and the lower horizontal support bent and broke at a weld seam.
    This just won't do, any sudgestions or should I just go get a bowling pin lol?
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LimaOscarAlpha View Post
    So I recently(by that I mean bought a few months ago) purchased a steel spinner 4 inch dis on the bottom 2-3 inch top for ready ups, Do all double blast if you courios, after 25 rounds of 110 spire points, 17gr h110 I found the support had been impacted by my poor marksmanship total of 3 impacts. Now this target is rated to handle up to 30-06 my little 300 sac blk is no where near the high end of that spectrum, anywaysthe vertical support bent and the lower horizontal support bent and broke at a weld seam.
    This just won't do, any sudgestions or should I just go get a bowling pin lol?
    LOA:

I have shot steel of various types and sizes at close range with a rifle and don't recommend it. The steel I have is all out of MGM targets in Idaho. Top end for action sports type of steel. In fact, I was shooting a mini IPSC popper (12") today at 600 yards with a prone rifle.

If you have a desire to re-enact your CQM days, I suggest paper and a backstop that doesn't have a lot of stuff in it that can deflect bullets. Use a white paper like some of the commercial 'bowling pin' targets so you can see the holes at 25 and closer.

The risk of getting whacked by a bullet or a part of said bullet that bounces off of hard things real close to you is not worth the training value when you can use paper and have a nice, rock free, backstop.

I have shot used bowling pins with ball ammo and you won't even know if you hit them or not. Bullets go right through them without even budging them. I had to put them at 300 yards for guys to actually make them topple over when hit by M-118 and M-852.

That said, I have also shot bowling pins with some of the .45 and .50 cal black powder cartridges and although they don't fly around, those big old soft lead bullets tear them up pretty well. They can take five or ten good hits before they fall apart.

Good fun though.

LR55

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

The min safety distance for shooting steel with long guns at my old workplace is 50M and no steel penetrators permitted. Lead tip/low loads were sourced as the preferred practise load. No closer than 7M for handgun rds using lead-only. I think IPSC handgun rules is 10M, again for lead only, no jacketed rds. Watch deflection hazard targets like steel 44gal drums where the bullet enters one side and is deflected in a half circle around the inside only to exit another hole back towards the firer. You can hang targets on a slight angle to encourage splash down to avoid chewing-up your target stand (especially useful if using permanent target frames. The quality/type of steel is a big issue here. I recommend sourcing hardened 'AR500' steel that is at least 0.4" thick. 1/2" even better. Not only does it last longer than stock steel it avoids getting chewed to the point it becomes a deflection hazard.

In my experience targets stands get damaged eventually so accept you will need to replace them. Chains used to suspend targets will get cut. Welds will break off from impact shock. I prefer rubber to suspend the target. It doesn't shatter on impact. Mild steel rebar and PVC conduit is cheap, easily sourced and replaced frame material. Plenty of portable target stand ideas on Youtube.

Comment

• LimaOscarAlpha
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2018

LR55

I was just hoping to be lazy and not have to set up a new target when ever I had the itch to knock of the rust. Guess ill just have to put a couple of post in the hillside and set up a proper target hanger. Looks like ill be tracing a cd and snuff can lid on cardboard for ready ups and look at steel later down the line.
        Thank you for the input.

Comment

• LimaOscarAlpha
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2018

Thank you for mentioning the barrels, I forgot the old barn has some plastic ones in it might not have to dig post holes after all!

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Conveyor belting (3/8" min thick) or firehose make excellent hangars. Cheap, easy to replace, light, and take hits well.

My stands are made from 5/8" rebar, 3 pieces looking like a saw horse. Light and easy to setup as seen in this vid.

Working on V2.0 that will make the end pieces fold to reduce space for transport.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Never use bi metal ammo"wolf steel case" bullets, they will chew up the best metal targets.
              I have welded angle iron to front support stands which will deflect the error shots.

Comment

• LimaOscarAlpha
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by montana View Post
                Never use bi metal ammo"wolf steel case" bullets, they will chew up the best metal targets.
                I have welded angle iron to front support stands which will deflect the error shots.
                That is an interesting and simple approach i have some angle iron laying around, between all the feed back and great safety reminders i have alot to chew on for my 25 yard home range.
                Thank you everyone for the replies.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

If you're shooting at 25yds, that pretty much rules out center-fire rifle high velocity cartridges unless you shoot frangible.

I only shoot pistol caliber within 25yds. Pretty fun with MP5s and other SMGs or pistols.

Plate racks are especially fun. Have been working plate racks on my last 2 shooting trips to North Springs within the past 2 weeks.

Been working on my times to clear 6 and 12 plates on the racks with .40 S&W M&P and suppressed MP5K another forum member has.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

i just bought some ar550 targets. can i shoot them with wolf steel case ammo? if so how close can i get to them safely?

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Hi-power, centrefire rifle...50M.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
                        i just bought some ar550 targets. can i shoot them with wolf steel case ammo? if so how close can i get to them safely?
                        JR:

I wouldn't shoot steel with a FMJ under 100 yards. Been there, done that. Not safe.

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

Gonna have some interesting results with those steel cores as well. If the plates are hanging at an angle to deflect the shot down, then that will reduce the risk somewhat.

Rifle, never closer than 100, and even then there has been return fire from the targets at matches.

You're shooting a Grendel man...start at 300 and have fun.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                            Gonna have some interesting results with those steel cores as well. If the plates are hanging at an angle to deflect the shot down, then that will reduce the risk somewhat.

Rifle, never closer than 100, and even then there has been return fire from the targets at matches.

You're shooting a Grendel man...start at 300 and have fun.
                            Was wondering about that stuff. Russkie ball ammo tends to use steel cores. Probably not a wise idea to blast steel closer than 200 anyway. 300 is a safe bet.

Glad I don't shoot cheap Russkie ball ammo out of anything.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                            X