Clear All
  • hoghunter57
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2016

Forming 7.62x39 into 6.5 Grendel Brass

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

When I got into the 6.5 Grendel I had very little brass so a Friend gave me some 7.62x39 brass which I fire formed. One batch I used a minimum charge of Winchester 748 and 120 grain Pro Hunter bullets. I think I also fire formed a few brass using Sierra 100 grain varmint with a minimum charge of H-335. I think with a 100 grain bullet Accurate 2230/Xterminator, TAC or H-335 will work. I got decent short range practice ammo out of the fire forming process. I only use my FF x39 brass for varmint hunting or short range target/plinking ammo.

Remember the fire formed x39 brass has reduced case capacity compared to Hornady or Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass. You have to work up your load and can not load a maximum charge from a loading manual in a FF x39 case.

With the availabilty of good 6.5 Grendel brass I don’t think it is cost effective to use FF x39 brass because the FF brass I’ve used doesn’t last as long as Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass. I have used some of my FF x39 in situations where I might not be able to find or recover my brass. I have found S&B large rifle primers fit x39 brass more snug than WW large rifle primers.

Loose primer pockets with x39 brass and PPU brass is very common and I found the S&B primers allows me to use the brass a little longer.

Comment

• se3388
      Warrior
      • Sep 2011

For the price of bullets, powder and primers you might come out ahead ordering new 6.5 brass, you might goggle once fired brass for an even better deal (it is out there). Fire formed brass doesn't usually last as long, has reduced capacity and you will have to go through load development again if you ever get 6.5 Grendel brass but if you like doing all that have at it, do what you are happy doing. All that matters is having fun.

Steve..........

Comment

• A1Vixen
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

I tried a lot with different brass because the availability in Europe fir the good Lapua Grendel brass was a desaster last year.

Check the topic: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...reformed-brass

There I shared some capacity results.
        The best capability I got was with new fireformed S&B 7,62x39. Even more capacity then you'll get with orig. Hornady brass! But they are very tricky to form them before fire forming. You can't do this job with a simple FL Die. Doesn't work!

I finally got original Lapua Grendel brass and I am very happy with them.

The worst result I had was with Lapua 7,62x39 brass. They have lot less capacity then the orig. Hornady and I had a lot of pressure issues and a very low V0. It's not worth to spend time, money, powder and bullets on them.

If I would not get orig. Lapuas I would go with the S&B but do annealing after fireforming! The Lapuas are much softer and need lot less force to calibrate them, but after fireforming and annealing they are a real alternative.
        Last edited by A1Vixen; 08-07-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Skimmed a bit and see reference to fireforming The AK brass for use in grendel, but not much specifics on how to do it or what charges people are using successfully. I see one reference to "2grain under min charge" However many of the Vol2 loads do not list a minimum charge and none of the load books I have even

Hi Guys, as a new Grendel owner, I just built an AR in 6.5 and wanted an unlimited cheap supply of brass. I got 1000 pieces of range brass in 7.62x39 and sorted them by brand. I saved all the Fiocci brand for my new Grendel. I have had some experiences that I need to share based on some other people who tried to do the same

Im not sure if anyone else has posted anthing about this or if this is just common knowledge, but i thought it was very interesting and felt that I should share it with you guys. The video in the link below tells everything i know about this. He uses the hornady 6.5 grendel resizing dies I beleive to convert 7.62x39 brass into

Midway has both Lapua Grendel and 7.62x39 brass in stock. $94/ 100 for the grendel and $60/100 for the 7.62x39. Has anyone necked down the lapua 7.62 into grendel brass? Does it need to be neck turned? Case capacity difference? Or is it too much trouble to be worth the effort vs savings. This will be for a bolt gun and

So midway has Lapua Brass on sale right now and it has me considering buying some 7.62x39 brass to fire form for the Grendel. I can get 100 pieces for $59 rather than $95 for the actual grendel brass. Does anyone think this idea is just plain crazy? What are my cons in doing this? The pro is price obviously. Do you guys think I

Ok so this has been debated and now that 6.5 Grendel brass is availible it's kinda redundant but for my case it might be applicable. So to start off I picked up the Hornady custom 6.5 Grendel dies and I picked up some leverevolution power because I want to test it and I plan to reload my 3030 with it so win win but I also have

I am looking at a ton of 7.6x39 brass that I can resize. Is the large primers an issue? This might be a cheap way to start reloading. I know that people do this but how accurate is the ammo made this way? Is there anything that I should know or be aware of?

hey guys, So I just finished my first Grendel build and After testing several loads using Hornady brass (all worked great) I started re-sizing some 7.62x39 to fireform them. When I went to the range to shoot the re-sized 7.62x39 they wouldn't chamber... at first I thought it was the ogive of the 120gr Sierra MK bullet, so I

General consensus for those of us who have done it is it's a waste of time unless you can find brass.

With the Hornady American Gunner proliferating now, I can't see any good reason to mess with it since you end up with LRPs, different load data with no real book data support other than guessing with start loads, and it doesn't last that long unless you use Lapua.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Djgrendel
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

Been there done that. 95 vmax with a minimum charge of benchmark. Cases lasted 2 to 3 loads before primer pockets were toast. If the brass is free, go ahead. Not really worth it, unless you want to see it for yourself. I did. But I wouldn't do it again
            Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

I got the impression that shooters were making Grrr brass a year or so ago when it was hard to get. Thankfully, there now seems to be as much as we need.
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                I got the impression that shooters were making Grrr brass a year or so ago when it was hard to get. Thankfully, there now seems to be as much as we need.
                Randy:

Negative. Last time I saw zero Grendel brass in the USA was around 10 years ago.

There has been multiple sources of Grendel brass for the last five years.

Plenty of Grendel brass around these days.

LR55

Comment

• hoghunter57
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2016

Thanks for all the great information. I appreciate all the knowledge each of you shared. DJ you summed it up well, “I tried it, You can if you want, But I wouldn’t do it again. I will be getting a package from Brownells tomorrow with my Starline brass. If I had a bolt gun it would be Lapua. I just can’t feed this suppressed MSR the pricey stuff. It comes out looking it went down my chimney into my wood stove. An hour in a stainless pin polisher makes it like new. Thanks, Mark
                  Making America Great Again, One Groundhog at a time.

Comment

Working...
                  X