What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FRB6.5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

Some reading on how to get the most from your scale:

Another item that can help with AC adapter powered units is a small UPS that has AVR (automatic voltage regulation) and noise filtering. Dirty power and line noise absolutely effects electronics.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

My dad and uncle had an RCBS single stage press.And that’s on what I learned to first reload back in the 80’s.I now own a Rockchucker supreme.All I need.

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

When I returned to handloading 18 months ago I bought the Rockchucker Supreme kit and love it.

When Gavin at Ultimate Reloader tested 14 single-stage presses he found the Rockchucker loads had the most concentric cases and seated bullets. All dimensions of the loaded ammo were consistently accurate. Impressive, equal to the massive German machine that cost almost $1000. Those two presses produced the most precise ammo of all.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM The Rockchucker review starts at 29:00.
        Last edited by Randy99CL; 06-23-2019, 05:41 PM.
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• Fields_mj
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2019

More reloading tools than I can remember off the top of my head. I use a Dillon 650 for 45s, 9s, 40s, stand for trimming any high-volume brass like my .223. I have a rock chucker that I used for most of my rifle, and revolver ammo. On the Rock chucker, I've converted it over to accept the horn today quick change die system. Made that change back in the late 90s, and I've been very happy with it ever since.

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

I?ve been wanting a Forster Co Ax press for the longest time.Hard to find.Had one on backorder w/Optics Planet for 6 mo.Then cancelled because I thought I could find one elsewhere.Didn?t.
              Last 3 mo,I?ve had one on backorder again.Hope it shows up by Christmas.Not holding my breath.
              Forster products are awesome.But,always tough to find.I like their ultra micrometer seating dies and their resizing dies.Have a 6.5 grendel set.

Comment

• BobinNC
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                I?ve been wanting a Forster Co Ax press for the longest time.Hard to find.Had one on backorder w/Optics Planet for 6 mo.Then cancelled because I thought I could find one elsewhere.Didn?t.
                Last 3 mo,I?ve had one on backorder again.Hope it shows up by Christmas.Not holding my breath.
                Forster products are awesome.But,always tough to find.I like their ultra micrometer seating dies and their resizing dies.Have a 6.5 grendel set.
                Why wait??

No need to complicate the reloading process. The Co-Ax® Reloading Press keeps it simple while still delivering famous Forster precision. The Forster Co-Ax® Reloading Press comes with several unique features that help make it truly one of a kind, including: Snap-in and snap-out die changing. You can actually change from sizer die to seater die in two seconds! A positive spent primer catcher system which passes all spent primers and dirty carbon through a tube and into a container. That helps keep all working parts free of dirt and abrasives. Dual floating guide rods to help ensure perfect alignment. Because there is absolutely no torque on the head of the Co-Ax® Reloading Press, long life is the rule rather than the exception. Due to the design of the linkage and pivots, all forces are in equilibrium whether the press is at maximum work load or at rest. Our Co-Ax® Reloading Press has three times the mechanical advantage of an ordinary "C" press. It's so effortless, full length sizing can actually be accomplished by operating the handle of the press with the little finger! There's no pain but plenty of gain. The Co-Ax® Reloading Press delivers perfect alignment of the die and the case because the shell holder jaws are designed to float with the die, thereby permitting the case to center precisely in the die. With no frame supports or swinging primer arms to interfere or cause an obstruction, the Co-Ax® Reloading Press provides plenty of elbow room for both right handed or left handed operators. The Co-Ax® Reloading Press accepts any standard 7/8" X 14 reloading die, some with existing locking rings. We recommend Forster Cross Bolt Die Lock Rings. The unique top priming device seats primers to factory specifications. The seater is always at right angles to the case head. Primers will not flip or tip. They will be seated straight, level and at a uniform distance below the case head. Primers cannot be crushed, nor will they protrude from the case head and cause premature firing. The top of the stroke provides a rock solid stop for consistency. Includes “S” jaws to fit most calibers. “LS” jaws are available separately. Check out this Great Infographic from Forster about the Co-Ax Press!

Forster Co-Ax also has a direct competitor, that looks very good, and much cheaper:

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Don’t care for the frankford arsenal m press.
                  Optics Planets has sent me a 20% one use coupon.The press will run me $270.
                  I just called optics planet.They said by mid September.
                  I’m not in that great a hurry because my rock chucker has been doing a great job for 20 years

Comment

• DDRanch
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2017

I was lucky enough to find a like new used one earlier this year. Had both short and long handles, all priming parts plus a Inline Fab 9" riser for $400.00. probably paid a little to much but I have one. Can't believe I waited this long to buy one. Works great!

Comment

• Former Cav
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2019

I've been using a Dillon 550 B for about 20 years now. They GAVE me a new press and about 3 of my old parts back under their no BS warranty.
                      I've loaded well over 100K rounds. I used to shoot in NRA highpower (200, 300, 600 yds), Palma (800, 900, and 1000 yards), 300 Meter International match, bowling pins with a 45 auto, IPSC with 45 auto, Prairie dogs and deer hunting.
                      I've never had a problem with my dillon press other then wearing out some stuff.
                      I just now got into loading the 6.5 Grendel. I am in process of working up a load now. So far, I've loaded various loads with 8028, Varget, BL-C2, and now AR comp powders. Been using the 120 ELD's aand 123 ELD's and SST's. Best group so far is a dissapointing 1 inch group.
                      I'm used to having groups no larger then 1/2 inch from my prairie dogging days.
                      We shall see.
                      After I get the group where it is acceptable, then I will chronograph it and post it here.
                      Cheers!

Comment

• Mac86951
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2019

I began during the last big component scare and I was resizing 762x39 to Grendel on my rcbs rockchucker supreme. I really like 99% of that press, but I've tried the priming system once and found it leaves much to be desired, and it's in the garage because primers when cases are decapped occasionally launch all over. My Redding dies are an early set, so to get the cases to fit my chamber I'm at 1+ turns of the die lower than touching the shellholder.
                        (Btw fireforming with h335 (29.0gr and the old Sierra 85hp was fun and cases formed well)

I moved to load workups at the range with a portable bench. The Lee challenge press with breechlock was an excellent addition. I like the priming method, priming catch is great, and the press performs well.

If I need volume, I'm using a Hornady lock n load AP. I really like this press. I've acquired a few metering assemblies so I can set charge weights up ahead of time. I've since converted my RCBS to Hornady lnl quick change bushing system and load on that once I have a load work-up complete.

I hand prime just about all the time using a Lee hand primer ergo. I like the Lee Challenger press priming system best; Hornady LNL AP second. Decap with Lee universal isn't successful with lapua small flash hole brass; I tumble clean and decap on resize.

-Mac

Comment

• jdh
                          Unwashed
                          • Aug 2019

I have an old Bonanza, a Forster, an old RC, a CH and a few old pacific bear, etc. that I don't use anymore. I take a Hood copy to the range to load with. Truth tell the RC does a great job. The Forster is mostly convenient for die interchangeability but lock rings can be problematic. Wilson inline seaters are good for repeatability. The little partner press is cheap and useable, also portable. The Hood presses are fine for the range but expensive.

For the Grendel I'll likely just load in the shop and take to the range or to hunt. I do like to do load workup at the range but I shouldn't have to do much for the Grendel. If you pay attention to detail and do everything in batches just about any press will do fine. It is nice to have one press set up to resize and one set up to seat but you don't have to do that. I didn't when I started out. You can use a small cheap arbor press, or a small cheap drill press, to seat with the Wilson inline seating dies. Those dies will seat every bullet to the same depth.

Things just get out of hand over the years.

I use mostly a K&M hand held priming tool. I also have and use Lee and RCBS tools. I keep one set up for small primers for Lapua cases.
                          Last edited by jdh; 09-06-2019, 02:11 PM. Reason: edit for priming

Comment

• cwmoss
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2019

Wilson hand dies for me. Shooting a bolt gun so just neck sizing.

Comment

• Cheapshot
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2019

I've got Dad's old Pacific press that I learned on. I've been tempted by something newer but it's hard to change. Dies are all over the place. RCBS, Hornady, Pacific, ... Not usually in a hurry to get done.

Comment

• GREYBUFF
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2018

Turned 66 today and am still using the RCBS JR. that I bought when I was about 14/15. Redding powder measure and trickle charge with a PACT electronic scale. Also have a Rockchucker w/a RCBS piggyback progressive for processing pistol and plinking brass. I was taught back when I started by an old gunsmith friend and to this day I still weigh every charge.
                                I thought about selling my weapons back to the government, but after a thorough background check it was determined that the buyer has a long history of violence and is mentally unstable. Therefore could not pass NICS.

Comment

Working...
                                X