What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tangodown
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

Ok so reading one thread that was closed, but for good reason I understand. I want to fill some of the people in that think I'm a company or something. It couldn't be farther from the truth. I spend all my money , not the VA money and wife's money, that money goes to the house and bills. But the momma don't know money, IE my welding money, case prepping money, T shirt money, and anything thing else I can use to generate capital to feed my 20 foot by 20 foot gun room, day room, weapons cage etc. I have been retired by the VA for 7 years now and don't like being around other people unless they are like me. So I dump a lot of money at what makes me happy. GUNS. Now we here in AZ have a Ranger Association Breakfast 1st Sat of each month and a SF Christmas party ever year. Corey Remsburg has a party out here 2 or 3 times a year for us Rangers at his house. As for equipment I have a lot of experience with a lot of different companies.
    Last edited by tangodown; 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tangodown View Post
      Ok so reading my other threads that are closed now, but for good reason I understand. I want to fill some of the people in that think I'm a company or something. It couldn't be farther from the truth. I spend all my money , not the VA money and wife's money, that money goes to the house and bills. But the momma don't know money, IE my welding money, case prepping money, T shirt money, and anything thing else I can use to generate capital to feed my 20 foot by 20 foot gun room, day room, weapons cage etc. I have been retired by the VA for 7 years now and don't like being around other people unless they are like me. So I dump a lot of money at what makes me happy. GUNS. Now we here in AZ have a Ranger Association Breakfast 1st Sat of each month and a SF Christmas party ever year. Corey Remsburg has a party out here 2 or 3 times a year for us Rangers at his house. As for equipment I have a lot of experience with a lot of different companies.
      TD:

I just locked the cryo thread because it was way off track and couldn't be fixed.

What other of your threads have been closed?

LR55

Comment

• tangodown
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2018

Sorry LR1955 just fixed my error in that last post.

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tangodown View Post
          Sorry LR1955 just fixed my error in that last post.
          Roger. No sweat.

Comment

• louielouie
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2018

One thing I'd like to point out as a new Grendel shooter/reloader in an AR platform:
            I bought Hornady dies and the matching shell holder for the press but I also had a RCBS shell holder that I thought would be useful in the priming tool.
            The RCBS shell holder wound up in the press under the HDY dies and when I tried full-length sizing and loading some new Winchester 7.62x39 brass, it *almost* chambered but proceeded to stick, wouldn't fire and was a b***h to unlock the BCG while trying to appear casual at my gun range (HA!).
            I measured the distance from the top of the shell holder (where die contacts) to the base where cartridge sat and the RCBS shell holder is a couple/few thou taller and once I swapped the HDY shell holder and re-adjusted the die, the neck/shoulder of the 7.62x39 brass was pushed back just enough to chamber. I had never had any trouble with the HDY brass like this
            So, don't mix & match components of your reloading tools unless you know why you're doing it.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Shell holders are interchangeable with most presses. However you need to reset your dies to the shellholder that is in the press. I have RCBS,Redding and Lyman shellholders for the Grendel the reason for that is too long and sad a story to tell. I always check the first sized case to make sure it is in my specs. I use the Redding for sizing and seating. It is the only one with knurling on it and easily identified.

Comment

• louielouie
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2018

Now that I've got the HDY dies reset to the HDY shell holder, I took the loads apart and using a 30 cal bullet comparator I measured the difference in length at the neck/shoulder junction and the ones that wouldn't chamber were about 0.010" longer than the ones I had just sized.
                Once the cases are fire-formed to my chamber I can back off the full-length sizing of the brass a thou or two...

Comment

• Randy99CL
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2017

Not a big deal but I've noticed that it's not a good idea to mix shellholders.

Hornady shellholders don't fit in the RCBS hand primer tool. Easy to fix with a small round file (radius is different) but instead I just spent a few bucks to buy the RCBS piece.
                  Later jumped on a Hornady hand primer tool for half price and like that one better anyway.
                  "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Swampfox
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2018

Ok I have Hornady Lock n Load press setup Bullet feeder and all, and a old Texas T press. I just got the Hornady Grendel dies. After talking to my dad who has been reloading for many years he told me I need to also get a Redding body die, L.E. Wilson case gauge, and I may want to consider a Lee Factory crimp die. Which those 3 together is about $85. Any suggestions on this or if I should go another route?
                    Last edited by Swampfox; 12-15-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Swampfox View Post
                      Ok I have Hornady Lock n Load press setup Bullet feeder and all, and a old Texas T press. I just got the Hornady Grendel dies. After talking to my dad who has been reloading for many years he told me I need to also get a Redding body die, L.E. Wilson case gauge, and I may want to consider a Lee Factory crimp die. Which those 3 together is about $85. Any suggestions on this or if I should go another route?
                      SWF:

I believe the Hornady sizer is full length so it sizes the body. No need for the body die. Some guys use the crimp die but you don't need it either because your sizing die ought to size the necks down enough that you have sufficient neck tension without the crimp die. By far, the majority of handloaders do not crimp rifle ammo. As for the case gauge, you can live without it too but if you want it, go for it.

LR55

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

The Hornady custom grade die set does full length size I have 2 sets but I use Forster for the Grendel. A case gauge is a very good idea. I have one for each caliber and saves a lot of headaches.

Comment

• meatsweats
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2018

Comment

• roor
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2018

I went with a Redding die and damn it is nice, easy to work with and makes damn good ammo! I paired it with Foster benchmark seater since I was too poor to get the micrometer seater. Both make a fantastic pair. I wish I had a chrono to consistently measure the speed :/

Comment

• wiguy
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2018

I have a mix of dies for reloading, the bulk are Lee and RCBS. Lately I’ve been treating myself to Redding dies, very nice. With the Grendel I went right to Redding. There is also the option with Redding to buy a carbide decapping stem for the resize die, reviews are great. Even the regular decapping, resizing process is much smoother with Redding.

My son just bought a ‘rolling-block’ single shot in 8mm ‘Lebel’, Remington production for French military. Since this will be shot little I plan on a set of Lee dies for it.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                                Warrior
                                • Oct 2018

For Dillon users there is a machinist in Lake Zurich who makes a much improved powder funnel for 6.5mm and .30 Cal. It has an internal sleeve that fits into the case neck that eliminates any issues with case lube in the neck attracting powder. It also allows 6.5 Creedmoor to properly push on the funnel from the shoulder not the case mouth, no idea why Dillon uses the Grendel funnel for Creedmoor.

Make your progressive press a progressive again. The cutaway view in the pics is to show the design, the actual dies are full diameter. I wish he made one for 5.56.

Comment

Working...
                                X