What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcb38
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Hornady shellholders don't fit in the RCBS hand primer tool. Easy to fix with a small round file (radius is different) but instead I just spent a few bucks to buy the RCBS piece.
    Learn something new every day I guess. I *thought* I had everything I need to get started.
    - Kirk -

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by kcb38 View Post
      Learn something new every day I guess. I *thought* I had everything I need to get started.
      That ain't happenin buddy no one has ever had "everything they needed"

Comment

• kcb38
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
        That ain't happenin buddy no one has ever had "everything they needed"
        Haha, that's why I said "to get started." I haven't checked to see if the shell holder fits in my priming tool yet but if not, I'll just ease the radius as Randy suggested. Normally I love to buy hobby stuff but between building my first bench and collecting all the equipment and supplies I need, my wallet and I are getting burned out. I don't want to buy anything else until I get my first cases loaded and see how the process works first hand.

As an aside, I never thought I'd get excited about a 25 lb bag of crushed walnut bird litter showing up on my doorstep.
        - Kirk -

Comment

• rbshoots
          Banned
          • Feb 2017

Redding T-7 set up for my 06 and 308... Old Hornady Lock-N Load that have had forever that I end up using for loading .223, 8mm Mauser, 45 ACP and 44 mag ammo, Lee turret for loading 9mm and .380... Wilson case trimmer for trimming...various Redding measuring devices for neck thickness and concentricity … Old Ohaus M5 beam scale collecting dust...Electronic analytical scale for weighing charges... a Lee thrower for flake and ball powder and Redding powder thrower for extruded powders.... Sinclair neck turning tool with the various mandrels... wide variety of Lee standard, neck sizing and carbide pistol dies, RCBS small base, body and competition dies, Redding, and Lyman standard dies...Rebel 17 case tumbler...Bench source annealer…. sets of Wilson case holders for all calibers and set of Wilson case gauges for all calibers... Cabela's media separator... and a dehydrator for drying cases after I clean the cases in the wet tumbler... That is what I can name off the top of my head

Comment

• Mad Charlie
            Warrior
            • May 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
            That ain't happenin' buddy no one has ever had "everything they needed"
            Ain't that the ever lovin' truth! I have collected up a lot of handloading stuff over the years, and I could easily spend a couple grand right now on some "I want's one of those's"...

What I "need" is more powder, bullets, and cases.

Comment

• Constitutionalist
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

I have Hornady dies and like them. I use the RCBS Rockchucker my parents got me for Christmas when I was 15. It's a good press- I'm retiring in December!

Comment

• Mesa1978
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Originally posted by Constitutionalist View Post
                I have Hornady dies and like them. I use the RCBS Rockchucker my parents got me for Christmas when I was 15. It's a good press- I'm retiring in December!
                Small world, my 91 year old Dad gave me the Rockchucker I bought him for Christmas in 1972.

Comment

• SCJim
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post

Hornady shellholders don't fit in the RCBS hand primer tool. Easy to fix with a small round file (radius is different) but instead I just spent a few bucks to buy the RCBS piece.
                  Later jumped on a Hornady hand primer tool for half price and like that one better anyway.
                  The center hole for Hornady is .300, the center hole for Lee and RCBS is .261. BTW the Hornady shell holders work fine in the RCBS tube fed bench tool just not in the hand tool
                  Last edited by SCJim; 04-29-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Pwrbomb1970
                    Bloodstained
                    • Apr 2019

Help a newbie to reloading out.....going to reload my 6.5 Grendel. Thinking I am going to go with either Forster seater die ultra micrometer with a Forster case sizing or the Redding national match set. If I get the two Forster I need a crimp die I gather? Brand? Also from everything I’m reading and researching there is a huge gap as to whether I should just neck size or full case size...leaning to full case size. Any other things I should get for doing the grendel other than the obvious powder, bullets, primers, brass? Help a fellow out...want this rifle to shoot!!

Comment

• Chipj4
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2018

Some of the more experienced re-loaders on here can probably either confirm or give you better advice. If you are reloading for semi-auto you want to full length resize. If you are reloading for bolt you can neck size for several cycles but should eventually full length size those too. I started both with full length and figured I'll fool with neck sizing for bolt after awhile or when I feel like my shooting has reached a point where I'll be able to see a difference in accuracy. You may also eventually want to learn how to bump size using full length dies.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

I have the Forster dies and I have yet to crimp one. The Forster die will crimp depending on how you set it up or get the Lee crimp die in addition. I am finding with my rifle I don't need to full length size every time. I actually have a Redding S neck die on the way. After todays range session I tested the empty brass with an L.E Wilson case gauge and they all slipped right in. There are several videos on how to adjust the shoulder bump. Your dies will also have instructions. On the Forster dies don't start out more than 1/8th of a turn down after you screw the die down to meet the ram. You need a comparator either Hornady or Sinclair and the correct bushing. That's my 02 YMMV

Comment

• PPCLI-JIM
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2019

This vid above shows my reloading single stage . RCBS RC SUPREME with quick change LOCK & LOAD SYSTEM, RCBS Trimmer [on sale],CDN TIRE stamped dig calipers ,Hornady dig scales, .45acp brass epoxied to a pencil as a scoop.LEE dies for this caliber.

This one shows the other side of my bench with a DILLON PRECISION 550 I got used that i will be setting up to load 6.5 GRENDEL.

AND!! This one shows how I dismantle my mistakes HORNADY BULLET COLLET PULLER or a Kinetic hammer.
                          Last edited by PPCLI-JIM; 05-05-2019, 04:14 AM.
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...06pmkmD8wJypbt
                          Check out what troubles I am creating today!

Comment

• Clays23
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2015

Lee single stage and lee dies they work well for the money
                            Joshua 1:9

Comment

• BobinNC
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

I run two reloading presses: Both by CH4D. First is an older CH4D Magnum One Die Press (discontinued but can be still be found used on E-Bay) and a newer CH4D #444 Four Die press (made in 1990).

ch magnum.jpg
                              ch 444.jpg

I've used other presses over my 45 year reloading career: RCBS Junior (gave it away), RCBS Rock Chucker (gave it to my son), RCBS Big Max (Used it when I was doing HD case forming) then somebody made me a cash offer for it I couldn't refuse, Redding T7 ( didn't like it, so I sold it to someone who liked it more)

My other equipment is a RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure, Forster Original Case Trimmer, Lyman Case Care Kit, Lyman Chamfer Tool VLD, Lyman Digital scale 1500, Lee Ergo Hand Priming tool, Two older Lee Auto Prime hand priming tools, RCBS Hand Priming tool, Forster Bench Priming Tool, Lyman Tubo Tumbler, Craftman Dial Calipers, and Dial micrometers.

For dies: Hornady for 6.5 Grendel & I added Microjust seating Steam, 6.5 A-Max seater. For other calibers I favor Dial Seaters from Forster , RCBS X FL resizers, Redding S nbushing neck Dies, and Lyman Carbide 4 Die pistol sets, Lee factory Crimp & Universal decapping dies.
                              Last edited by BobinNC; 06-14-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Lowell Higley
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2019

I have used the RCBS Rockchucker since 1975. A little TLC and so far it works just fine. That is it for a press.
                                I have a shelf full of different caliber dies in RCBS, Hornady, and few Forester. So far, I have no complaints.
                                My 6.5 Grendel Dies are Hornady. I have put together 10 rounds, but have not had the opportunity to pop a primer yet.
                                The Hornady Electronic Powder Scale is a trouble. I must watch my zeros. You also have to watch movement around the thing, Thinking about spending a few dollars and getting a better one. Which one, I do not know yet.
                                Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X