• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yondering
    Warrior
    • May 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
    Here's a dope card for 31.2 grains of CFE under a Amax 123 fired from my 22" Blackhole Weaponry barrel. It's calculated for 30 inches of mercury since I live essentially at sea level. I've taken multiple chrono readings at various temperatures to determine muzzle velocities at those temps and extrapolated 20 degrees and 100 degrees. It was work but it was fun too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17225[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Yondering; 12-04-2020, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Nimrod
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2016

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Nimrod
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2016

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

I loved Lever and cfe223 when I first start playing with them, great groups and awesome speed.

But then the temps dropped and it all went to crap. Moved on to much more temp stable powders and matched the speeds plus got tighter groups.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the lever and cfe223 I have leavt, it's useless to me.

Comment

• Nimrod
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              I loved Lever and cfe223 when I first start playing with them, great groups and awesome speed.

But then the temps dropped and it all went to crap. Moved on to much more temp stable powders and matched the speeds plus got tighter groups.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the lever and cfe223 I have leavt, it's useless to me.
              Which powder did you move on too? Curious what extruded powder will produce the same velocity as LVR. I could never fit enough in a case.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                Which powder did you move on too? Curious what extruded powder will produce the same velocity as LVR. I could never fit enough in a case.
                Ar-comp and h4895 has matched the speeds I got with lever and cfe223 in both my ar and bolt grendels.

Now I have one load with varget in my bolt that beats lever but that's because I have enough load length in my mag to allow the case space for that powder to work.

Comment

• Yondering
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

Ar-comp and h4895 has matched the speeds I got with lever and cfe223 in both my ar and bolt grendels.

Now I have one load with varget in my bolt that beats lever but that's because I have enough load length in my mag to allow the case space for that powder to work.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2019

How does CFE223 and LVR compare against each other? I have seen mention of them being the same powder with exception of CFE having Copper defouling additive, but have also seen statement by executive at Hodgdon on another forum stating clearly that these two powders are not the same and should not be treated as interchangeable load weights. Any noticeable performance difference between these two powders? Thanks

Comment

• Nimrod
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
                      How does CFE223 and LVR compare against each other? I have seen mention of them being the same powder with exception of CFE having Copper defouling additive, but have also seen statement by executive at Hodgdon on another forum stating clearly that these two powders are not the same and should not be treated as interchangeable load weights. Any noticeable performance difference between these two powders? Thanks

Comment

• Fess
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2019

As near as I can tell, LVR was tweaked for the 30-30 and is magic for that cartridge. It produces velocities roughly 200 fps faster than any of the classic loads I have seen. CFE 223 is now the second fastest 30-30 powder, but about 100fps slower than LVR. In the 30-30 for 150 and 170 grain bullets, a larger charge of LVR produces less pressure but more velocity than CFE.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Nope I maxed out lever and cfe223 till I was almost pushing the bullet back out the case and was getting pressure signs.

H4895 and 129 ablr averages 2626 fps with a sd of 2 and a es of 8, had it higher but this is the load.

Whenever I got close to this one same speed with lever or cfe223 I was either getting pressure signs on the brass, on the chronograph are getting sticky bolt.

Loads were worked up in 90 degree louisiana weather, air temps drop 20 to 30 degrees and the lever and cfe223 loadscwent to crap and both of those loads were north of 30 grains. Cant remember the exact load because I moved on from those powders and through that data away.

Forgot to add, 129 ablr load is 2.335 coal and 29.1 grains of h4895 in a starline case and cci450, from my cz american varmint.
                          Last edited by A5BLASTER; 12-14-2020, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2019

Nope I maxed out lever and cfe223 till I was almost pushing the bullet back out the case and was getting pressure signs.

H4895 and 129 ablr averages 2626 fps with a sd of 2 and a es of 8, had it higher but this is the load.

Whenever I got close to this one same speed with lever or cfe223 I was either getting pressure signs on the brass, on the chronograph are getting sticky bolt.

Loads were worked up in 90 degree louisiana weather, air temps drop 20 to 30 degrees and the lever and cfe223 loadscwent to crap and both of those loads were north of 30 grains. Cant remember the exact load because I moved on from those powders and through that data away.

Forgot to add, 129 ablr load is 2.335 coal and 29.1 grains of h4895 in a starline case and cci450, from my cz american varmint.
                            I'm in Texas so understand the Heat/Sea Level. Have you tried IMR 4895?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
                              I'm in Texas so understand the Heat/Sea Level. Have you tried IMR 4895?
                              No I sure haven't, my understanding is imr 4895 and h4895 are very diffrent in temp stability.

I read that somewhere on the net and that's why I went with h4895.

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2019

No I sure haven't, my understanding is imr 4895 and h4895 are very diffrent in temp stability.

I read that somewhere on the net and that's why I went with h4895.
                                You motivated me to go do a search. The H4895 is a clone of the original IMR 4895, but differs in that it uses Hodgdon temperature stabilizing powder. The "H" indication their extreme line of powders. Side note: Hodgdon owns IMR. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X