X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lazermule
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2018

Anyone have any advice on what powders work better with the shorter barrels (12 Inch). I would assume a faster powder would be better?

LM

Comment

• grendelnubi
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

I have done a lot of testing with my 12.7 faxon group buy barrel using CFE, AR Comp, 8208, Ramshot X-Term, and AA 2550. If I were to choose only one particular powder, it would be 8208. Overall it shot tighter groups than the other powders I tested, just not the tightest group for a specific projectile. I would always seem to find a different powder that shot a little better but again, if I were to select one powder, it would 8208.

CFE is good but I believe I was trying to push it to hard in the heat of summer and did experience some pressure issues. I'm out of it now and I don't see any reason to try it again.

Bullet wise, my barrel likes any nosler over any hornady. Each barrel is different however.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

I use 8208xbr, H335, BLc2, CFE223, and Varget. For 100 gr and less, I use H335, for 107-123 BLC2 or CFE223, 123-130 8208xbr. Varget is not real good in the velocity area, but a couple of my rifles shoot well with the 130 gr bullet and Varget.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

8208XBR has been the best all around regarding accuracy/velocity/temp stability with all of my Grendels.

I can find powders that can do one or 2 of those things better than 8208 but not all three. ARCOMP is a close second but I hate how much I have to compress charges. In a couple situations it has given me OAL variances. YMMV of course.

Alot of folks seem to like CFE223. I hate the stuff. In my 5.56s, 308s and Grendels I've found it inconsistent and dirty as hell. In my 204 Ruger bolt gun I popped a primer on a warm day with a load that showed no pressure signs at 60 degrees with CFE.

Comment

• Lazermule
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2018

I am starting out with 123 grn Hdy SST and ELDM in this 12" AR. I do have a lot of Varget as I load it quite often in other rifles with great results. I'm sure this is a different animal certainly with this shorter barrel, but I'd like to find success with Varget. I loaded up some 123 grn SST's with some TAC yesterday and I should be able to test them in the next week so we'll see if that is a winner or not. I'll probably run some Varget loads as well to see how it works. I'll have to see what else I have, I don't think I have any 8208 or CFE.

LM

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

I use cfe223 for everything from 120 to 140 and h335 for everything under 120.

Comment

• 1Shot
                Warrior
                • Feb 2018

It may not be the "best" but I get what I want out of IMR 8208 with 120s. Depending on the bullet 2500 to 2550 fps with 18 to 20" barrel. I have not really had the time to do much trying of other powders because I just started with the Grendel this past spring. Just found me a good deer hunting load with both my rifles and wanted to try two different bullets, Sierra PH and Speer GD. Things did not work out to allow me to shoot but only one deer with the 120 Speer GD at 2550 fps from the 20" barrel. AWESOME results. I have a bunch of different powders, been hand loading for 40 years, and some lighter bullets I am going to give a work out this spring and summer. I did try to find a load with Hornady 123 SST but neither of my rifles like this bullet. Could not get it to shoot under 1 1/2" except with one load of IMR 4895 and that was the only group I shot with it and never had the time to give it another try.

Comment

• towerofpower93
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by grendelnubi View Post
                  I have done a lot of testing with my 12.7 faxon group buy barrel using CFE, AR Comp, 8208, Ramshot X-Term, and AA 2550. If I were to choose only one particular powder, it would be 8208. Overall it shot tighter groups than the other powders I tested, just not the tightest group for a specific projectile. I would always seem to find a different powder that shot a little better but again, if I were to select one powder, it would 8208.

CFE is good but I believe I was trying to push it to hard in the heat of summer and did experience some pressure issues. I'm out of it now and I don't see any reason to try it again.

Bullet wise, my barrel likes any nosler over any hornady. Each barrel is different however.

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                  8208XBR has been the best all around regarding accuracy/velocity/temp stability with all of my Grendels.

I can find powders that can do one or 2 of those things better than 8208 but not all three. ARCOMP is a close second but I hate how much I have to compress charges. In a couple situations it has given me OAL variances. YMMV of course.

Alot of folks seem to like CFE223. I hate the stuff. In my 5.56s, 308s and Grendels I've found it inconsistent and dirty as hell. In my 204 Ruger bolt gun I popped a primer on a warm day with a load that showed no pressure signs at 60 degrees with CFE.

Gents: care to expand on what weight bullet(s) you're using with the 8208? Picked up a box of 123gr ELD-M and have pounds of 8208 at the house for my 77gr 223 loads, but have started a list of what powders reloaders claim to work best with 90gr-120gr bullets and those projectiles which are 120gr and up, based on user input across this forum and others.

Comment

• meatsweats
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2018

Comment

• slip357
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2018

I have been loading 27.5gr. H-335 with the 120 gr. speer gold dot and im geting under an inch at 200 yds, im done.

Comment

• Londerko
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by towerofpower93 View Post
                        Gents: care to expand on what weight bullet(s) you're using with the 8208? Picked up a box of 123gr ELD-M and have pounds of 8208 at the house for my 77gr 223 loads, but have started a list of what powders reloaders claim to work best with 90gr-120gr bullets and those projectiles which are 120gr and up, based on user input across this forum and others.

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

8208 is really well suited for 100-107gr bullets. With the 100gr AMAX, TTSX and 107 TMK it shows excellent velocity and no pressure signs with a full case in my rifles.

With the 123 projectiles you will want to work up your load.
                          For some reason I always find my accurate loads near the top of the ladder, but you can get Into pressure signs quick.

Hodgdens max load with a 123 is 28.5gr, but different 123s will have different bearing surface and require an individual work up. IME anyways.

Comment

• rickt300
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

I had poor results with CFE but many like it.AA2520, ARComp, and Blc2 are my favorites.

Comment

• Londerko
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                              8208 is really well suited for 100-107gr bullets. With the 100gr AMAX, TTSX and 107 TMK it shows excellent velocity and no pressure signs with a full case in my rifles.

With the 123 projectiles you will want to work up your load.
                              For some reason I always find my accurate loads near the top of the ladder, but you can get Into pressure signs quick.

Hodgdens max load with a 123 is 28.5gr, but different 123s will have different bearing surface and require an individual work up. IME anyways.
                              Just goes to show how different barrels can be.
                              I had poor results with a 107 and 8208 and exceptional with a 123 and 8208

Comment

• Kilco
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Londerko View Post
                                Just goes to show how different barrels can be.
                                I had poor results with a 107 and 8208 and exceptional with a 123 and 8208
                                My most accurate loads with 123s use 8208 as well. I just highly recommend working up loads carefully and watching for pressure indicators. Chronograph is my favorite tool with Grendel workup as reading brass can be tricky.

Comment

Working...
                                X